• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A colgan Q400 Crash!?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I would like to see Sully as the "correspondant" for all air disasters from now on. I am sick of these idiots on TV making shit up.

Yup absolutely. The only problem with a "Sully" doing it is that there would be too much fact and not enough flash. The truth, laid out in a logical and factual manner, doesn't sell ads.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Question for the masses ... I've seen reports that the co-pilot started flying for this company January 2008 and had a little over 2000 hours with the company ... I thought the FAA limited commercial pilots to 1000 hours a year?

Link

S/F

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Question for the masses ... I've seen reports that the co-pilot started flying for this company January 2008 and had a little over 2000 hours with the company ... I thought the FAA limited commercial pilots to 1000 hours a year?

Link

S/F

Part 121, is 1000 per year... I think the 2000 is total time.. You know the media!:icon_wink

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This will be bad for Bombardier. SAS pulled the Q400 from their fleet after several cases of landing-gear collapse in Sweden & Scandinavia. Even though the incidents are not related, it appears this aircraft is getting a bad image as accident-prone. Personally, I've always liked the Q400 because it's about 80 knots faster than the other Dash8 model a/c.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Stupid Media Quotes...

My favorite stupid media quotes in regard to this mishap:

"Well, how could there be ice on the wing? There are devices that send engine air to vibrate the leading edge of the wing to cause the ice to fall off..." (CNN)

"We really need the government to step in and update our infrastructure, and switch over to GPS. I'm a pilot and I fly every week. We have to have a minimum of 2 mile seperation because the sonar from the 1970's won't let us get any closer. If we had GPS we could get within a mile of each other." (Fox News)

"This must be icing related, as the plane nosed in and only hit one house." (I think that was ABC, but not really sure)

And more Monday Morning Quarterbacking...

Sucks for the families, but sometimes you have to file a mishap under "Shit Happens"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The New York Times has done the unthinkable.

They have actually written a cogent article on what the causal factors might have been behind an air crash, with little or no stupid uninformed drivel. Yes, for professional pilots, it's broken down purple dinosaur style. But this is the best attempt to correctly inform the public that I have yet to see out of the mainstream media.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The New York Times has done the unthinkable.

They have actually written a cogent article on what the causal factors might have been behind an air crash, with little or no stupid uninformed drivel. Yes, for professional pilots, it's broken down purple dinosaur style. But this is the best attempt to correctly inform the public that I have yet to see out of the mainstream media.

If you actually read the paper once in a blue moon they usually do a good job. ;)

Thanks for the link!

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you actually Friedman's column once in a blue moon he usually does a good job. ;)

Thanks for the link!
FTFY. Then again, they balance it out with Maureen Dowd. :yuck_125:

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
If you actually read the paper once in a blue moon they usually do a good job. ;)

The New York Times is capable of objectivity as long as they are covering non-political events & issues. It's when they get into political stuff that they want to be a player and not a reporter. JMHO.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The New York Times is capable of objectivity as long as they are covering non-political events & issues. It's when they get into political stuff that they want to be a player and not a reporter. JMHO.
Good point. And my studying will increase when I finally get out of the docs' clutches. :D