• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

43 NSS needed to get into Primary

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Maybe it's time to sign up for Vance so I won't be at the end of it. :-(

....or maybe not.
ENS pews, first I saw of that, Congrats man. Picaroon, lobster and I will be there soon. So with this rising NSS FY10 score continue for the 11 guys? I was BDCP YR 10, but I know I won't commission till FY 11. Either way A-pool guys bust it, I know I have a buddy classing up in a few weeks.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
43 Or Bust

Just to be clear, it's doubtful that the actual NSS will change, just that the effort to achieve said NSS will increase over time as classes will try harder and harder to achieve it, thus driving up the average score, thus making it harder to achieve. I've attached a graph explaining.

They really should have made it 42, though.

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 186

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Just to be clear, it's doubtful that the actual NSS will change, just that the effort to achieve said NSS will increase over time as classes will try harder and harder to achieve it, thus driving up the average score, thus making it harder to achieve. I've attached a graph explaining.

They really should have made it 42, though.

Why not make a powerpoint presentation instead? :D

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
(For those that weren't there, they also separated most attrites and DORs.)

In effect for YG09 and YG10. Heads up for anyone coming from ROTC/Academy this spring, this could be your golden ticket out of the Navy if you so desire.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Rumor has it that YG04 is now undermanned for 1310s because the pendulum swung too far... (For those that weren't there, they also separated most attrites and DORs.)

So how will that potentially effect guys that are going through or winging now? Better opportunities possibly for those that are in year groups that are undermanned?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You won't see the true effects of game-changers like a base NSS for many moons... there are too many higher order effects to accurately take into account. Plus since they just did this about 5 years ago, maybe they learned a trick or two on when to turn the spigot on and off.

squorch2

pilot
Other fun ways to alleviate pipeline stress: select people straight for the VRs from primary. Have them serve a few years, then IRR. Pipeline stress alleviated! Just hope you didn't want much "A" time...

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
More and more, I am impressed with CNATRA as an organization. Think about it. Setting the bar at a 43 NSS rather than a 90 academic average ensures that the collective beehive of Ensigns spools up and gets their asses in gear. If you think about the overall tone of this thread, everyone is talking about doing their absolute best on every exam and PRT which is ideal anyway, right? I will readily admit that I didn't have to worry about competing to get into Primary, but back in my day as an Ensign in the T-37, only 2 of 4 Ensigns in my class made it to Intermediate. We were among the first studs to select Vance and went straight from Annapolis to Enid, totally bypassing API. So we got our asses kicked every step of the way (academics, stand up, the flight line) especially in comparison to our Air Force classmates who all flew T-3s in Colorado Springs. But we also didn't know any better. So we studied our asses off, drank like fish, and never looked back.

VulcanRider

pilot
That might be something that the numbers average out to, but the CO told us that theres no mission to cut any certain number of people out of a particular class. Meaning if everyone in the class rocks every scored event, they wont cut anyone from that class.

Planning and doing are two different things. The fact of the matter remains they are trying to cut a certain number of people over a given time. I assume it is easier to plan for that number by using NSS rather than raw test scores. The CO is right, if you're class smokes the tests and everyone makes it through, that just means your class bumped the NSS up (probably not much for 1 class) but up none the less. That means, more than the planned cuts per class later down the pipeline. BUT don't let that scare you. As long as you work as hard as you were planning on in the first place because we all know that was 100% right? You should be fine. Enjoy your time off in A-pool. Crack a book on the john if it makes you feel better, but don't burn yourself out before hand.

I'm just waiting for them to extend our orders from 3 to 4 year orders because of the past and ongoing primary backups. Thats fresh off the rumor train in SD.
rumor_train.jpg

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
My question is:

how does having a minimum score NOW change what you WOULD have done? There was a time you WOULDN'T have put in 100% effort? There was a time you WOULDN'T have tried to max the PRT? Prior to this you WOULDN'T have gone after 100's on all the written exams? All of a sudden because you HAVE to have a 43 NSS you're going to try harder? What sort of attitude is that?

43, 55, 70, whatever...The MINIMUM should not have a bearing on giving your maximum.

You guys tease him all you want. $10 says CumminsPilot makes it through the program. Assuming he's not a COMPLETE idiot. And I have a feeling he's not.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
On the plus side, once you're done getting pumped through API, you get to wait in C-Pool. Hopefully, that will be like A-Pool without all the damn stress and worrying over grades/studying/whatever. Like what A Pool used to be. You can just chill for Primary. But more than likely, some asshole will ruin it by the time I get there.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Other fun ways to alleviate pipeline stress: select people straight for the VRs from primary. Have them serve a few years, then IRR. Pipeline stress alleviated! Just hope you didn't want much "A" time...

If this happens and one's YG isn't part of the deal, then just contact the head detailer VFR-direct... (saw that happen about five years ago, the infamous yet absurdly funny "Dear Captain" email).

@ all the young hard chargers out there who laughed and realized this is a terrible idea, you can consider your sarcasm meters to be calibrated within limits. :)

But seriously, reserve squadrons aren't always a good fit for nuggets since they are simply not accustomed to training up folks fresh out of the FRS. Not necessarily a bad fit either, but it depends a LOT on the squadron's mission.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
On the plus side, once you're done getting pumped through API, you get to wait in C-Pool. Hopefully, that will be like A-Pool without all the damn stress and worrying over grades/studying/whatever. Like what A Pool used to be. You can just chill for Primary. But more than likely, some asshole will ruin it by the time I get there.

Actually quite the contrary...the good deal is A-pool. Once you get down here to Primary or wherever you go, you should start studying right away. The guys who do well in Primary are the guys who get it quicker while the standards are lower. Everyone is getting higher grades towards the end when the standards are much higher.

As soon as you get here..EPs EPs EPs (know them verbatim)...get in the static trainers/sims as much as you can. We have had a back log for a while but things are starting to come thick and fast again. Most people are now scheduled for an event almost every day and unlike the civilian world, every flight here is essentially a checkride.

squorch2

pilot
If this happens and one's YG isn't part of the deal, then just contact the head detailer VFR-direct... (saw that happen about five years ago, the infamous yet absurdly funny "Dear Captain" email).
Yeah... that guy was in my squadron. He had a good amount of prior flight time and showed up to his first flight without any knowledge as to fam maneuvers - he just thought that he'd do the civilian equivalent.

Yeah, he wasn't going anywhere fast even before the email...

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Actually quite the contrary...the good deal is A-pool. Once you get down here to Primary or wherever you go, you should start studying right away. The guys who do well in Primary are the guys who get it quicker while the standards are lower. Everyone is getting higher grades towards the end when the standards are much higher.

As soon as you get here..EPs EPs EPs (know them verbatim)...get in the static trainers/sims as much as you can. We have had a back log for a while but things are starting to come thick and fast again. Most people are now scheduled for an event almost every day and unlike the civilian world, every flight here is essentially a checkride.

I think you misunderstood me. The wait after API is looking like 4+ months. And you aren't going to the TraWings, you're going to hold at NASC. Or that's the latest gouge.