• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

40% of F-15, now grounded, never to return to fleet

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How would you hate to be a JO working towards quals in an F-15C squadron right now? It is all about timing........

Or in a Prowler squadron heading for the transition. Some people, for timing reasons alone, are going to get fucked and/or be forced into doing a split tour.

Brett

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
How would you hate to be a JO working towards quals in an F-15C squadron right now? It is all about timing........

Expect to go to AFSOC or the Pred next.

You can read all about the initiative called "TAMI 21" over at Baseops.

HackerF15E

None
So they get to go from F-15's to helos?!? Sounds like a win in my book. Then again, I wouldn't wish the Predator on Saddam Hussein...

AFSOC flies a lot more than just helos.

Fighter guys who are TAMI-21'd are initially going to the U-28.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The U-whatnow?

Oh, okay. Google is my friend...

Guess it'd be interesting work, but seems like it'd be kind of a bummer after thinking you're going off to gofast-land...

051114-O-9999X-001.jpg

HackerF15E

None
Those guys do some very, very interesting work. Not as "boring" as it may seem on prima facie value.

Lightning26

At first I thought the Air Force should replace them all with F15E's but after seeing that a F15E cost 100 million and a F22 cost 137 million (wikipedia). I don't think it is too much for the AF to ask for all new Raptors. I would rather have 3 Raptors over 4 F15E's.

I don't think it will be anywhere near the 40% mark though. I also agree it would be too much for Boeing to ramp up their Raptor program a whole lot, so it would probably be best for the AF to buy half Raptors and half Eagles if they want aircraft quickly.

I am pretty sure if the Air Force ask for something they will get it. They will probably even use the new Raptors to replace their Thunderbird's F16s.

With that being said, I don't have a problem with our country spending money on getting some more of these awesome jets. I just wish the Navy would get some more love with the Checkbook.

Maybe we should all go buy some Boieng stock, so we can profit off of this too:)

HackerF15E

None
after seeing that a F15E cost 100 million

Uhhh, not exactly. They cost $30mil - $40mil during the production run for the US aircraft. The ones currently being sold to Singapore and Korea have better engines and avionics, and hence cost much more.

They will probably even use the new Raptors to replace their Thunderbird's F16s.

Not very likely. There are so few of them, and they are of such tactical value, that I'm betting they stick with F-16s for a LONG time.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I think the Air Force is going to bring Tomcats to replace the F-15.

:):):):):):):) Lamp is lit...

Lightning26

Uhhh, not exactly. They cost $30mil - $40mil during the production run for the US aircraft. The ones currently being sold to Singapore and Korea have better engines and avionics, and hence cost much more.

Not very likely. There are so few of them, and they are of such tactical value, that I'm betting they stick with F-16s for a LONG time.

Thanks, I thought the higher cost was from inflation. Wouldn't the Air Force want the updated engines and avionics also?

I knew I should have indicated that I was joking with this:) I don't think it would be too much longer though. 2012 will be 30 years for the F16 as a Thunderbird. I would almost bet they switch to the JSF around 2015.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
You'd be dealing with the same issue with the JSF. Its high-cost, high-tactical value. I agree with Hacker that the T-birds will be using those F-16s for another decade or two.

Lightning26

You'd be dealing with the same issue with the JSF. Its high-cost, high-tactical value. I agree with Hacker that the T-birds will be using those F-16s for another decade or two.

I know we are just speculating and a lot of different factors go in to when they transition to a new platform. The Blues were actually supposed to get new Super Hornets but because of the war they are settling for charlies and deltas in 2009. But they still plan on going to a new platform around 2020.

The Air Force switched to F16s when they were practically brand new. I know part of the reason why was because of the crash. But they were thinking of doing it soon anyways. I find it hard to believe that flying the same jet for 30-40 years is a good recruiting tool?