• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

dxfan06

Hopeful SNA-Dreadful Runner
is an ASTBE of 61 5/7/7(second attempt) and 90 hours of flight time good enough to outweigh a 3.0 in a non tech degree? Reading through this forum has got me real stressed out about my chances this board and I feel like I'll have to retake.
I had worse score than you and i was approved my first time around. you should be fine.

FloridaDad

Someone had a good time in college
Kind of. I mean I really did love my college experience and it shaped me into who I am. But my lower grades were mostly due to being completely in over my head (I had no formal music education pre college, couldn't read music, and only started music at 16), taking 20-26 credit hours a semester, working to put myself through school while living off campus, and not developing time management/study skills until I was running a business and had two kids half a decade later. My fraternity's "parties" literally involved DnD and video games while eating pizza so yes I absolutely had a ton of fun in college just not "that" kind of fun hahaha. I was also trying to be a professional rock musician at that age so grades were secondary to getting good at music. I majorly regret that now but at that age I just didn't know any better. I'm just hoping that the board sees my age and how long ago I graduated and is convinced that my OAR and AQR prove that I'm a much much better student at 31 than I was at 22.

On a random note based on my college story, anyone else here play DnD or other tabletop RPGs?

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
Kind of. I mean I really did love my college experience and it shaped me into who I am. But my lower grades were mostly due to being completely in over my head (I had no formal music education pre college, couldn't read music, and only started music at 16), taking 20-26 credit hours a semester, working to put myself through school while living off campus, and not developing time management/study skills until I was running a business and had two kids half a decade later. My fraternity's "parties" literally involved DnD and video games while eating pizza so yes I absolutely had a ton of fun in college just not "that" kind of fun hahaha. I was also trying to be a professional rock musician at that age so grades were secondary to getting good at music. I majorly regret that now but at that age I just didn't know any better. I'm just hoping that the board sees my age and how long ago I graduated and is convinced that my OAR and AQR prove that I'm a much much better student at 31 than I was at 22.

On a random note based on my college story, anyone else here play DnD or other tabletop RPGs?
That's the type of fun many of my peers in engineering school tend to lean towards. I'm married with a kid and have a bunch of life experience before going to school so my school experience has been just going to work, going to school, going home, homework, wash rinse repeat.

I however have played DnD and enjoy it (As long as the people you play with actually take it seriously

cjh5073

Right now, you only have one barrier to face which is the board. Once you enlist, you have many barriers to face and overcome. Are you fully qualified at your job? How are your evaluations ( this is a big one)? What is the command policy for submitting( how early can you submit in your first command)? Does your CoC care enough for the submission to help you in the process ( they should)? Are you willing to wait until you fourth year in to submit? Also, you can get in trouble and learn bad habits from others that will or can warp your mind ( i don’t know but it happens)

Many other things that I can think of and have seen. Honestly, I believe the process is harder for enlisted than coming off the streets.
Completely disagree. I think its harder if you look at it that way.

Enlisting not only gave me perspective but allowed me to get in front of the right people, and network within the aviation community.

FloridaDad

That's the type of fun many of my peers in engineering school tend to lean towards. I'm married with a kid and have a bunch of life experience before going to school so my school experience has been just going to work, going to school, going home, homework, wash rinse repeat.

I however have played DnD and enjoy it (As long as the people you play with actually take it seriously
I was in a music fraternity so everyone I played with were artists. All were musicians and many of us also acted so it was a ton of fun. The group I play with now is made up of actors and writers mostly with musicians as well so our sessions often look more like improv theater/writers workshops and less like board game night. Also several of us involved in medieval recreation and medieval martial arts. I absolutely love having a group like that.

You know when you add in the sports conversation from the other day I think I dumped all my hobbies on this thread in the span of 3 pages.

dxfan06

Completely disagree. I think its harder if you look at it that way.

Enlisting not only gave me perspective but allowed me to get in front of the right people, and network within the aviation community.
I'm of two minds about it myself. If i do enlist whether or not to try again for SNA/NFO slots since ill be pushing right up against that age requirement; but if i didn't i hear you can do a lot worse in the aviation community than AM.

FloridaDad

I'm of two minds about it myself. If i do enlist whether or not to try again for SNA/NFO slots since ill be pushing right up against that age requirement; but if i didn't i hear you can do a lot worse in the aviation community than AM.
I don't think I will enlist unless I exhaust every option to become an officer or at least a warrant officer (army pilot specifically) first. Of course... That would mean I wasted 2-3 years that I could've already been enlisted making better money/benefits and getting closer to retirement so... Let's hope we don't get there. If I do enlist I would try to do something that would get me in an an airplane.

dxfan06

I don't think I will enlist unless I exhaust every option to become an officer or at least a warrant officer (army pilot specifically) first. Of course... That would mean I wasted 2-3 years that I could've already been enlisted making better money/benefits and getting closer to retirement so... Let's hope we don't get there. If I do enlist I would try to do something that would get me in an an airplane.
yeah, im already two years into my second attempt's process and as much as i like the idea of officership, ya boy's gotta do something to make money. I could always apply while im in and if it doesnt work i have a job that'll make a bunch of money if i decide to get out.

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
I was enlisted. I mean yeah the networking was great and allowed me to score some sick LOR's for this now and that job gave me the passion for aviation that I have currently. However you gotta keep in mind that if you enlist that E-3 and below lifestyle is rough... especially if you're a little further in life. I saw many 30 something E-2's struggle with a 23 year old E-5 telling them what to do.

dxfan06

I was enlisted. I mean yeah the networking was great and allowed me to score some sick LOR's for this now and that job gave me the passion for aviation that I have currently. However you gotta keep in mind that if you enlist that E-3 and below lifestyle is rough... especially if you're a little further in life. I saw many 30 something E-2's struggle with a 23 year old 5-5 telling them what to do.
yeah that's def something i've thought about for sure, but it's something to keep in the back pocket as a plan B if this falls through.

cjh5073

I was enlisted. I mean yeah the networking was great and allowed me to score some sick LOR's for this now and that job gave me the passion for aviation that I have currently. However you gotta keep in mind that if you enlist that E-3 and below lifestyle is rough... especially if you're a little further in life. I saw many 30 something E-2's struggle with a 23 year old E-5 telling them what to do.
Oh yeah I mean the life is rough for sure - living on a carrier in RCOH for 9 months was no fun.

It’s all a mindset though. Gaining the respect of someone younger than you and more senior in rank is the ticket. Especially since you have experience you work circles around everyone else who just doesn’t give two shits.

Plus - in RCOH no one wants to work so you just do all the shit no one else wants to do. I’m probably doing collaterals as an E-3 that I’d have no business doing if the ship was deployed.

FloridaDad

Thankfully with my college degree I wouldn't start at E-1 but ya being 31 with 2 kids would make it an even rougher transition. Especially considering most of my post college life has been spent either working for myself, having others working for me, or traveling and playing music with a ton of freedom. To be clear I do understand the transition to military life as an officer won't be a cakewalk either. In the end though, my family and I are craving the stability, support structure, and benefits military life can provide. I loved being a self employed musician but man can that be a really lonely life and you never really know where the next paycheck is coming from.