• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
We'll all hopefully get there eventually! I was hoping to get to OCS before my kids got too much older. Every month that goes by the harder it'll be on them. Obviously deployments will be hard too but they'll be old enough at that point to understand why and understand that I'm coming back. At this age it'll just be, "why is Daddy still not home? Will he ever come back?" for a few months. I'm at least hoping it'll be soon enough that they won't remember me leaving for OCS when they're older. They're 1 and 3 so that's definitely possible still.
My son is almost 2 and I feel this as well

dxfan06

Hopeful SNA-Dreadful Runner
I hope that I can hear something soon in regards to the OCT board; been waiting for 2 years to resubmit my package (25-27) I hope the freeze and backup rumors aren't all they're cracked up to be but if they are im also kinda flirting with enlisting or something along those lines and resubmit my package later down the line. don't know how feasable that would be with age requirements and waiver limits but who knows haha

cjh5073

I hope that I can hear something soon in regards to the OCT board; been waiting for 2 years to resubmit my package (25-27) I hope the freeze and backup rumors aren't all they're cracked up to be but if they are im also kinda flirting with enlisting or something along those lines and resubmit my package later down the line. don't know how feasable that would be with age requirements and waiver limits but who knows haha
Look. I am a prefect example of how the enlist route works.

I enlisted at 32, turned 33 in boot camp - undesignated. Busted my ass and I have an entire command backing up my package, along with a 2-star aviator.

Happy to give you more info on the whole thing, but it really helped.

dxfan06

I enlisted at 32, turned 33 in boot camp - undesignated. Busted my ass and I have an entire command backing up my package, along with a 2-star aviator.

I'd love to hear more. What are you commissioning into? I've just seen things like age waiver limits and that has me kind've hesitant to go that way.

cjh5073

I'd love to hear more. What are you commissioning into?
I’m waiting at the 31 Oct board here with my SNA/NFO package.

I know everyone on here says packages are all about the scores and such but it’s really so much more than that. Enlisting helped me in that aspect.

I mean the ex Officer Recruiter on here also has good insight, but it sounds like boards don’t get cancelled this close to the date. It can of course always happened, but when I called the OCM on Thursday he alleviated any concerns.

My story is wild. Currently on a Carrier at the moment.

dxfan06

I’m waiting at the 31 Oct board here with my SNA/NFO package.

I know everyone on here says packages are all about the scores and such but it’s really so much more than that. Enlisting helped me in that aspect.

I mean the ex Officer Recruiter on here also has good insight, but it sounds like boards don’t get cancelled this close to the date. It can of course always happened, but when I called the OCM on Thursday he alleviated any concerns.

My story is wild. Currently on a Carrier at the moment.
nice! yeah im hoping that after 31OCT that it wont be more than a month or so since that's what it was like for me last time. As much as Newport sucks in the winter i'd rather get it over with sooner rather than later haha. I just cant tell what rumors are scuttlebut and what has any truth to it. What's your rate and all that jazz?

cjh5073

nice! yeah im hoping that after 31OCT that it wont be more than a month or so since that's what it was like for me last time. As much as Newport sucks in the winter i'd rather get it over with sooner rather than later haha. I just cant tell what rumors are scuttlebut and what has any truth to it. What's your rate and all that jazz?
I’m undesignated. Probably not the best way to go but it allowed me to ship right away. I work in CIVIC (command security manager) and Training (ITT Admin) at the moment.

dxfan06

I’m undesignated. Probably not the best way to go but it allowed me to ship right away. I work in CIVIC (command security manager) and Training (ITT Admin) at the moment.
that's groovy for sure. How long did it take you to build up the contacts that would "sing your praises" on your package? Ive heard recruiters reccommend things from waiting a few years into your contract so your command can get familiar with you to just performing well in A school and having your teachers sign off on you. Might be getting away from the meat and potatoes of the topic thread here though haha

cjh5073

that's groovy for sure. How long did it take you to build up the contacts that would "sing your praises" on your package? Ive heard recruiters reccommend things from waiting a few years into your contract so your command can get familiar with you to just performing well in A school and having your teachers sign off on you. Might be getting away from the meat and potatoes of the topic thread here though haha
So it took me a solid year to work up the network. Some of it luck/timing, others because of the work I was doing.

I took the OAR and ASTB cold one time, and the flight physical took me about two months. Otherwise the rest of the time was spent just hitting the pavement and busting my ass to build the network.

BDavis11

Contributor
You would most likely hit 32 if you enlist

BDavis11

Contributor

Unicorn

FloridaDad

Sometimes I regret not trying to do exactly that at 30, I was just scared that I would never be able to become an officer due to age if I did that.

BDavis11

Contributor
Sometimes I regret not trying to do exactly that at 30, I was just scared that I would never be able to become an officer due to age if I did that.
It’s not as easy as it sounds. He was right place right time. Especially with ISPP coming out. That is a big game changer

cjh5073

“Everything is waiverable”

Pretty much three words I heard from every officer I talked to (including the two-star).

Turns out when you demonstrate your value they’re willing to do what it takes to get you where you need to be, and once you’re on the inside it’s a lot easier for you to maneuver around.

I will say I feel pretty lucky. I didn’t expect half the stuff in my package to be the way it did but I know I have a leg up doing it this way.