• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3.5% Mil Pay Raise On Hold

phrogpilot73

to go along with this (for Marines) ...

MARADMIN Number: 765/07

SUSPENSION OF AUTHORITY FOR CERTAIN SPECIAL PAYS AND BONUSES

"2. EFFECTIVE 1 JAN 2008 THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS INCLUDED IN THE REFERENCES ARE SUSPENDED:
COMBAT EXTENSION PROGRAM (CEP)
RECRUITER EXTENSION PROGRAM (REP)
DEPLOYMENT EXTENSION PROGRAM (DEP)
INVOLUNTARY EXTENSION COMPENSATION (IEC)
ENLISTMENT BONUS (EB)
SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS (SRB)
BROKEN SERVICE SRB (BSSRB)
CRITICAL SKILLS RETENTION BONUS (CSRB)
SMCR RESERVE REENLISTMENT BONUS (REB)
SMCR ENLISTED AFFLIATION BONUS (EAB)
SMCR OFFICER AFFLIATION BONUS (OAB)
LAW SCHOOL EDUCATION DEBT SUBSIDY (LSEDS)
AVIATION CONTINUATION PAY (ACP) "

... the key part though "(1) Contracts executed on or before 31 Dec 2007 remain valid and bonus/incentive will be paid."

S/F
Well that just sucks. With my luck, they'll re-authorize everything AFTER I've affiliated, making me ineligible for the OAB...

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I guess it goes without saying that the BAH increase won't be seen either? Not that I went out and bought a bigger house or anything, but damnit...I just want what was originally published.

k_smittay

Come on now. Bush has done a hell of a lot more for the military paycheck than Clinton and his boys did. Anybody else remember the two raises we got in 2001?

When you start planning a never ending war in 2001 which will put military folks on deployment for 15+ months at a time, over and over again, and split families up left and right.. you have to throw them some kind of bone.

Don't sell your soul to the devil for a pay raise.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was largely because of the targeted pay raises and congressional initiative. And if you think Congress does not hold a lot of sway in getting the military pay raises, the administration proposed a 3.0% pay raise while Congress mandated a 3.5% one.
I'd call it a bit more than just "sway" considering they are the only ones who can authorize a pay raise.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd call it a bit more than just "sway" considering they are the only ones who can authorize a pay raise.

Okay, call it a cooperative effort to simplify things.......but since the President didn't sign it, the full 3.5% raise ain't happening yet anyways. Really does take two to tango, most of the time. :D

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I guess it goes without saying that the BAH increase won't be seen either? Not that I went out and bought a bigger house or anything, but damnit...I just want what was originally published.

BAH is an entitlement, not a pay. Also not taxable. I believe that the BAH increase will happen despite issues with the defense appropriations bill.

As for the bill itself, it had so much added pork and conditions in it that the President was right to veto it.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Yes, but what bill funds BAH?

Not sure, but here is an explanation on why the veto means we still get a 3.0% pay raise vice 3.5%.
http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/military-pay-overview
Annual military pay raises are linked to the increase in civilian wages. Current laws governing annual pay raises guarantee that military pay will be at least one-half percent above civilian average pay increases, as measured by the Employment Cost Index (ECI), through 2007. Military pay raises may exceed these automatic levels if authorized and funded by Congress.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
This bill passed the house in May 07, passed the Senate in October 07, came out of Conference Committee on Dec 12 and was vetoed on Dec. 28. It was sent back to committee on the 15th.

I understand that there was a break and a new session, but has anyone seen any gouge on what's been going on with this bill? Seems like time would be more of the essence than it has been treated with.

Damn Congress...Maybe they can just send me a ham with my back pay at Easter when they finally come off of their "Congressionally Directed Spending."

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This bill passed the house in May 07, passed the Senate in October 07, came out of Conference Committee on Dec 12 and was vetoed on Dec. 28. It was sent back to committee on the 15th.

I understand that there was a break and a new session, but has anyone seen any gouge on what's been going on with this bill? Seems like time would be more of the essence than it has been treated with.

Damn Congress...Maybe they can just send me a ham with my back pay at Easter when they finally come off of their "Congressionally Directed Spending."

To get a massive bill like this through Congress is not easy, especially when the President vetoes/threatens to veto the original one. Here is the latest:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/16/AR2008011603124.html

As for Congress, you can thank the President for the original delay as has been noted before in this thread.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which should also mean that the bonuses are back on. I guess I'm a little thankful that HQMC is so slow...

Bonuses back in in the sense that you can now initiate a new bonus contract. Previously signed bonus contracts were unaffected by this bill.

Brett