• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

29 Sept 2007

Goob83

None
HEHEH keep in mind that is your projected Graduation date. providing you don't get rolled back for not being able to fold your underware properly or perhaps you fail the intial PFA. FYI 8 failed the in PFA this time and several of them were from the FLEET! I would bet it was due to form on the situps and pushups, because they all did good on the run. SO get your form down for these two events.

quid.non

hmm...
I dont remember seeing a grad date on my orders. Dec 21st would be nice though. Move to P-cola before winter really gets kickin.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Don't base anything on the graduation date on your orders. Make no plans right after your graduation. I started in class 19 in Pensacola, and due to several things completely out of my control, I now have to finish up/start over up in Newport.

It varies greatly by class and drill instructor and other factors, but it is highly common for 30%-60% of the people that start off in a class to graduate in a later class. Reasons that you could roll that are out of your control: getting sick (everyone gets sick to a degree... While I was at ocs in Pcola, I had bronchitus, tonsilitus (sp), mono, and a chest cold), injuries (you could sprain an ankle, roll a wrist, or just be injured by someone else. I saw someone get kicked point blank in the eye by a classmate on accident. The DI was dropping the whole class (to pushup position) in a confined hallway. They were too close. Less than a second later he had blood pouring out of his eye. Sprained fingers, mashed knuckles, pinched nerves, rabdo... It can happen to anyone.

Even things you think might be in your control, like the RLP inspection sometimes aren't. RLP can be objective, but it is often highly subjective. My first class had 23 RLP failures (only 19 passed). of those RLP failures, only a few passed the reinspect. The rest all rolled to the next class.

There are many challenging obstacles at OCS that can set one back. The majority of my friends that graduated ocs all spent some amount of time in 'H' class. Some are completely within your control, some you have some degree of control over, and some you have no control over.

If you put out, have a positive attitude, and don't give up, you will make it through eventually. If your stars line up, you'll graduate with the class you started at the seawall with.

When will you have a solid idea of when you are going to graduate? Candio phase (the last 3 weeks of ocs). Why? Because you will have passed all graded evolutions (both academic and physical), and the physical training drops off to a minimal, or at least managable level.

Hope this helps.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Its a big unknown. About 4 people at ocs (including the class chief) caught it. Best doctors guess is that you can carry the virus for quite some time before it hits you and becomes active (experience symptoms). My immune system was at its lowest...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I just got the call, and I'm in this class. My recruiter told me he thought I was going to be in this class, but its nice to finally have it in writing. Anyone know if there is going to be a meet up the night before?

quid.non

hmm...
Haven't heard about a meet up but that just means we can start the planning now. Although Im clueless about Newport so I have no suggestions for a place.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Our class is meeting up around Bowen's Wharf or along the harbor. I haven't been to Newport in years, but from what I remember and what others have told me that section of town is cool. Check this map out, it'll help.

Downtown is pretty small, so you can walk wherever you need to go.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I went to NAPS there so I have a pretty good lay of the land. I also had my favorite bars around there... quid.non I'm heading up from ATL also, when are you planning on leaving? The Red Parrot or the Ryno Bar and Grill would be cool places for us to meet up downtown Newport.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
xmid, i will be leaving from ATL as well... I am leaving here in Cali in just about a week and a half to ATL... want to drive up together? I think it will be great to hook up as a class before we check in...

nukumall

Hey guys, I will be driving over from Denver, I plan on getting into Newport the 28th so I am rested. I will be up for meeting somewhere.

cisforsmasher

pilot
another option after crossing over the Tappan Zee is to take the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Merritt Pkwy. The Merritt parallels I95 but does not have any trucks on it. Depending on time of day, you will probably have a little less traffic going through the stamford and bridgeport areas. It is also a pretty exciting drive, lots of fun turns and hills. Get off the Merritt on the Milford Pkwy before New Haven and just suck up the 95 traffic going through there. Whatever you do, always listen to 1010 WINS for the latest traffic updates every 10 minutes. They spit out a lot of information really quick (imagine faster than your average ATIS) so you better be paying attention for your primary and alternate route names.
I am from Ossining, which is just north of the Tappan Zee bridge. I used to take that route to visit friends at college all the time so I am very familiar with it.