• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

27 MAR 2022 OCS CLASS

M.Guthrie

Howdy ya'll. I've been selected to go to OCS in this class. Happy to find a forum and facebook group to join for it.

Sex: Male
Civilian
Designator: Information professional. Or 182X, I think.

My biggest concern right now is that I can only pass the PRT for the run, and my pushups and planks are way behind. I'm talking 20 pushups and 1:10 plank. I'm going to the gym daily and doing those two exercises at home, but I'm still worried. Is two months enough time to get my pushups and planks in order? What's going to happen if I can't get them high enough?

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Howdy ya'll. I've been selected to go to OCS in this class. Happy to find a forum and facebook group to join for it.

Sex: Male
Civilian
Designator: Information professional. Or 182X, I think.

My biggest concern right now is that I can only pass the PRT for the run, and my pushups and planks are way behind. I'm talking 20 pushups and 1:10 plank. I'm going to the gym daily and doing those two exercises at home, but I'm still worried. Is two months enough time to get my pushups and planks in order? What's going to happen if I can't get them
Two months is plenty of time. Check out these two programs:

I used both and went from low 40s to 60 before OCS

M.Guthrie

Two months is plenty of time. Check out these two programs:

I used both and went from low 40s to 60 before OCSI

I really appreciate the reassurance. I'll take a look at both of those programs you linked. When I signed my original enlisted contract I could only do ten pushups, so I've made progress but anxiety is never satisfied haha.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
I did more than the recommended pushups. I would do a set in the morning and repeat in the afternoon (same with planks). The last two weeks or so I did what's called "greasing the groove." You will loose pushups on your IST, so make sure you can do your minimum on a lack of sleep and bad food.

maverick2017

maverick2017
Contributor
Hey ya'll! I'll also be joining this class.

Non prior
Selected for supply

Aside from IST prep/PRT in general, does anyone have some insight on gouge? I'm continuing to study appendix b as much as I can but the amount of information seems daunting..not to mention appendix C and D later on

Either way, congrats to everyone! Looking forward to it!

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Hey ya'll! I'll also be joining this class.

Non prior
Selected for supply

Aside from IST prep/PRT in general, does anyone have some insight on gouge? I'm continuing to study appendix b as much as I can but the amount of information seems daunting..not to mention appendix C and D later on

Either way, congrats to everyone! Looking forward to it!
I broke it down into chunks and themes. For code of conduct for instance;
1 who am I?
2) never surrender
3) I'm caught
4) POW
5) Questioned
6) Never forget

My wife would also help by breaking it down in chunks and I would repeat it until I knew it. I would spend a day or so on each individual part (1 full day going over article 1). At first it will seem like overkill, but once you are reciting the code of conduct and general orders all in one day, it will get easier. Once you get to OCS, you will have ample time to study. We had people that didn't know anything prior to showing up.

"Chunking" is also how we learned Delta. I started with carriers, then subs, etc.

Ericackostaa

I broke it down into chunks and themes. For code of conduct for instance;
1 who am I?
2) never surrender
3) I'm caught
4) POW
5) Questioned
6) Never forget

My wife would also help by breaking it down in chunks and I would repeat it until I knew it. I would spend a day or so on each individual part (1 full day going over article 1). At first it will seem like overkill, but once you are reciting the code of conduct and general orders all in one day, it will get easier. Once you get to OCS, you will have ample time to study. We had people that didn't know anything prior to showing up.

"Chunking" is also how we learned Delta. I started with carriers, then subs, etc.
Been in the navy for almost 7 years, always killed PRTs and suddenly I am nervous all over again like bootcamp lol My leadership thinks I am over working by body by working out everyday what do you think? I know you were prior marine, Im currently at HQMC HS.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Been in the navy for almost 7 years, always killed PRTs and suddenly I am nervous all over again like bootcamp lol My leadership thinks I am over working by body by working out everyday what do you think? I know you were prior marine, Im currently at HQMC HS.
It's normal to have those jitters lol. It's probably the first time you'll interact with DI, but they are just a little lot more intense than RDCs. I improved on my PRT because of the volume of stuff you do. I think physically the hardest thing is running through the halls after meals (I lived on the third deck in the farthest room). I ended up dropping more than a minute off my mile and a half between the IST and the In PFA.

What are you doing for HQMC?

Ericackostaa

It's normal to have those jitters lol. It's probably the first time you'll interact with DI, but they are just a little lot more intense than RDCs. I improved on my PRT because of the volume of stuff you do. I think physically the hardest thing is running through the halls after meals (I lived on the third deck in the farthest room). I ended up dropping more than a minute off my mile and a half between the IST and the In PFA.

What are you doing for HQMC?
I am the Flag Writer to the TMO(Medical officer of the Marine Corps). Cool gig. Learned a lot about the corps. So when it comes to push up, once my form is compromised I usually just stop doing them. How was the IST in terms of strictness?

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
You'll have candios counting for you and DIs/RDCs to "motivate you" and correct form. They will be very strict. The candios will be worried about counting poor form because they can get in trouble for helping you "cheat." It will be the most strict PFA you do unless you run one with the indocs later (scheduling conflicts can make your run day change).