• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24MAY2021 Pilot/NFO Board

Marmaduke123

Contributor
PCSM is the metric used for selecting pilots... Terrible pilots who take 120 hours to acquire a PPL shouldn't have a numerical PCSM advantage over great pilots that receive their PPL in 40 hours. See the problem and discrepancy?
That's not to mention that there is a financial barrier to accumulating so many hours. Totally agree that the PCSM weighting system is bad. I got a shorter end of the stick in regards to Navy GPA policy though - they count every grade you've had, even if you flunked 6 months of college 10 years ago. Took my 3.6 down to a 3.3.

If I had the money, I would just rack up the hours at my local air field then take 3 months off to study prior to the AFOQT.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
That's not to mention that there is a financial barrier to accumulating so many hours. Totally agree that the PCSM weighting system is bad. I got a shorter end of the stick in regards to Navy GPA policy though - they count every grade you've had, even if you flunked 6 months of college 10 years ago. Took my 3.6 down to a 3.3.

If I had the money, I would just rack up the hours at my local air field then take 3 months off to study prior to the AFOQT.
Exactly.

It very nearly creates a pay-to-win culture and probably has a lot to do with the familial-like torch passing of USAF pilots through generations. Living under the roof of a commissioned officer and pilot would provide opportunity that a lot of other kids and young adults don't have. It rewards those with time and money, and hinders the ones who may have incredible aptitude but no way to show it (according to the AFOQT). If you don't have the money to go get flight hours you're stuck with a sub-standard score and you're beat by people who have money to burn.

IMO the lack of flight hour consideration that the USN uses is far superior in the pilot selection process and provides a more even ground for candidates to compete on.

I wouldn't worry about GPA. If they cared about GPA as much as people think they did, they would look at my GPA from my B.S. degree and immediately put me in the "No" pile. Luckily my A.A.S. degree of 3.36 pulled me UP into a 2.74. You can do the math lol. It was THAT bad and I was still selected, though I think maintaining a 4.0 in the last 15 courses helped a lot to persuade a potentially bad first impression.

Last edited:

Marmaduke123

Contributor
Exactly.

It very nearly creates a pay-to-win culture and probably has a lot to do with the familial-like torch passing of USAF pilots through generations. Living under the roof of a commissioned officer and pilot would provide opportunity that a lot of other kids and young adults don't have. It rewards those with time and money, and hinders the ones who may have incredible aptitude but no way to show it (according to the AFOQT). If you don't have the money to go get flight hours you're stuck with a sub-standard score and you're beat by people who have money to burn.

IMO the lack of flight hour consideration that the USN uses is far superior in the pilot selection process and provides a more even ground for candidates to compete on.

I wouldn't worry about GPA. If they cared about GPA as much as people think they did, they would look at my GPA from my B.S. degree and immediately put me in the "No" pile. Luckily my A.A.S. degree of 3.36 pulled me UP into a 2.74. You can do the math lol. It was THAT bad and I was still selected, though I think maintaining a 4.0 in the last 15 courses helped a lot to persuade a potentially bad first impression.
Pretty much nailed my overall thoughts in the USAF approach. If the objective metric is to select talented and determined individuals then flight hours shouldn't play such a major role (although I think it can be argued that some flight time should be considered a definite positive in terms of overall package).

Happy they selected you man, truly good call for the Navy. All I have is your AW posts to go on but you'll do great as an Officer in my humble opinion (no idea about the flying part though ?)

villo0692

you ppl are right, I was in medical school 12 years ago, in a different country, and it chased me all the way here, took my GPA from a 3.95 to 3.92....I'm devastated

Busey96

Sitting in my hotel right now before MEPS tomorrow... Hell of a time. Just curious, how do y'all get your information to show up below your posts? Seems a lot easier than having to recite it every comment.

NevarYalnal

Sitting in my hotel right now before MEPS tomorrow... Hell of a time. Just curious, how do y'all get your information to show up below your posts? Seems a lot easier than having to recite it every comment.
isn't that just your signature? you should be able to add it in your profile settings.

Dmartin95

Whats up guys!

Im glad someone referred me to AW.
Im 25 finishing my BA in May. No prior service. I got MEPS out of the way in November last year and currently studying for the ASTB and will be taking it sometime in March. Also working on a personal statement and getting my letters of rec. squared away.
Any advise on study books/guides? I bought a Newstone test prep book 'OAR Exam Prep 2020-2021' and a buddy sent me an digital copy of ASTB-E Secrets by Mometrix.

Whats up guys!

Im 25 finishing my BA in May. No prior service. I got MEPS out of the way in November last year and currently studying for the ASTB and will be taking it sometime in March. Also working on a personal statement and getting my letters of rec. squared away.
Any advise on study books/guides? I bought a Newstone test prep book 'OAR Exam Prep 2020-2021' and a buddy sent me an digital copy of ASTB-E Secrets by Mometrix.
Go through the books you bought and definitely check out the 1001 ASTB thread on this site if you haven't already. That thread was more useful than any study book I bought.

slick99

Whats up guys!

As far as books go, the Barron's book was pretty good. Best resource is likely Kyle's study guide though, which can be found over on the 1,001 questions about the ASTB forum.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Jumping on this thread as my recruiter has no idea what's going on. Submitted for the Jan boards. Wasn't on the at-board list based on an AW PM. Recruiter hasn't heard anything about me being at-board or results, so I'm assuming I'm rolled to the ???? 2021 Pilot/NFO board. Welcome to the mystery gang of anxiety newcommers.
We're all in this together!!!

lsatfiend

Hey y'all, checking in here.
Prior Service: none
Degree: BA Int. Relations, MA Education
GPA: 3.54, 4.00 (respectively)
ASTB: 65 9/8/8 (1st attempt)
LOR from my principal (teach elementary), Head of school, and looking for someone else.
5ish flight hours, will hopefully have my PPL before the next board.

Talked to my recruiter and he said that the May board is for fleet and age waiver applicants only. Said that the next board I could apply for is August 2021...

Guess we're in it for the long haul.

exNavyOffRec

LOR from my principal (teach elementary), Head of school, and looking for someone else.

Talked to my recruiter and he said that the May board is for fleet and age waiver applicants only. Said that the next board I could apply for is August 2021...

sounds like he is trying to sandbag

slick99

Odd, my recruiter was telling me that the May board should be normal.

Nice scores btw!

luckynumbr27

Sounds like you haven't spent much time in aviation. Perhaps going out and getting more of time in the aviation environment would benefit you. If somebody has a private pilot license, it shows that they have proven that they can perform aircraft operations to a certain standard. There is a lot of value in going out and doing flight training prior to applying for SNA. The only variable is "how did one spend those flight hours?". Did they just go sit right seat with their cfi buddy who can log them hours or were they following a syllabus with a goal of getting a PPL? I believe for that reason, the Navy puts little weight on flight hours. Many things are the same whether you're flying a "motorize kite" Cessna or you are flying an F-15. You might have aced that paper test and be a terrible stick, or have abnormal reactions to stress in the cockpit, or get air sick from "minor" g forces. Being familiar with the environment already will have a major impact on one's success. Fundamentals like Bernoulli's principle, weather, navigation fundamentals are all very similar and prior knowledge will help one excel in flight training. When one is in the "firehouse of knowledge" environment like encountered at SNA training, one will be able to process more new information since they are already able to correlate the main aviation principles.

Ghost SWO cleared this up pretty. I certainly wasn’t trying to take a dump on people with PPLs, getting flight hours and a license shows keen initiative and interest in the community as a whole. But like the boys said, weighting flight hours as heavily as the Air Force does is the bougiest thing I’ve ever heard. Private recreational flying is one of the most expensive hobbies you can have, and making it that necessary of a bullet point on your package to even be competitive in a selection process is a barrier to entry that is darn near impenetrable for kids who don’t have a parent that is retired AF or some other white collar job.

On another point, I think a lot of folks would be surprised how little translates from flying small aircraft to flying a military aircraft. My roommate in college currently flies E-6s for the Navy and he said he couldn’t even fly a Cessna 172 anymore; nothing about his current platform translates to that small of an aircraft. Sure the physics of flying are technically the same no matter what you’re in, but the relation between those two craft or any other platform the navy offers is about the same as the difference between driving a Ford Fiesta and driving a Peterbuilt.

lsatfiend

Odd, my recruiter was telling me that the May board should be normal.

Nice scores btw!

Fo real? Hmm, do you know when the deadline to submit your packet would be? Also thanks, flipped out when I got my scores and accidentally called my recruiter dude... might explain the pushed back deadline LOL.

Does anyone know if there is going to be an official communication from the navy about a set board date?