• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24MAY2021 Pilot/NFO Board

terraformer

Contributor
I’ve read a lot bios from Commander to flag rank to get an idea of their career path. One thing I don’t think I’ve ever seen from a URL that wasn’t prior enlisted is “commissioned out of OCS” or something similar.

Makes me wonder.
@Generic my grandfather retired as a vice admiral and commissioned through OCS in the 70s as a SWO. Not sure if URL at the time. No prior service. However, he said that reaching this rank after OCS was not common at all pre-vietnam

exNavyOffRec

What I do know is that the Academy does not really put out restricted line officers. There has to be some strange reason for a cadet to get such a designator. I believe that OCS is the primary source for restricted line guys.
But man if your uncle made Vice Admiral as a restricted line officer that’s pretty damn impressive (not that making a flag rank as a URL isn’t). I don’t think those designators have a lot of flag billets in general.

Correct, USNA and NROTC do not commission many non-URL types but they still end up commissioning a decent % of non-URL, one thing to keep in mind is the GENOFF dashboard list Pro Y goals and those are higher than actual spots available, so the numbers or non-URL are higher for OCS they are a small percent of the overall number, I was used to looking at the hard goal numbers and then seeing the GENOFF dashboard makes me realize how many they are going after to just make goal, that is a lot of attrition or just duplication as in people getting picked SWO and NFO.