• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24-Star letter to Washington Post

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
From today's Washington Post:

KBayDog said:
The "artist" will claim that the cartoon is being "taken out of context."

From Today's WP:

"It is the nature of cartooning that someone can read an analogy a cartoon uses to mean things other than what was intended," Toles said.

KBayDog

Well, whaddaya know - KBay sometimes knows what he's talking about.

One of the most tired arguments that usually surfaces when this kind of trip is published is that we protect their (protestors/dissenters/hippies/Commies/etc.) right to free speech. No crap.

Guess what - we also protect OUR right to free speech. I am proud and honored to serve under men who responsibly use this right to look out for "their own." God bless them.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Anyone see if the post printed the JCS letter today? I don't have access to the post, nor will I give them my 75 cents.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The rebuttal from the JCS ran in the post.

KBayDog

ChunksJR said:
You think, maybe, we should tell that to these guys???

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060202/ap_on_re_mi_ea/prophet_drawings

I wonder what kind of press Christians would get if we protested outside of Kanye West's house (or anyone who attempts to make a mockery of Christ), threatened to kidnap him, etc.

Yes, I get offended/upset when people use Christ's image in blasphemous ways, but I certainly don't take up arms, threaten to take hostages, or "demand apologies." What do I do? I ignore them. And whatever press decides to publish the images (most recently Rolling Stone) loses my business...or never gains my business to begin with. But hey - that's just me.

(Back to the Washington ComPost cartoon - could you imagine if the JCS carryied rifles outside the WP office, threatened to take hostages, etc? Wow.)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
KBayDog said:
(Back to the Washington ComPost cartoon - could you imagine if the JCS carryied rifles outside the WP office, threatened to take hostages, etc? Wow.)

For some reason that actually sounds funny. Maybe it's my twisted sense of humor, but seeing a bunch of old guys in Class A's with loaded M16s sounds sorta like the premise for a cheesy comedy.

But, just so I don't seem like a total jackass/douchebag, I'm glad to see that the JCS had the gumption to cry foul on this cartoon.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The cartoon did what the artist intended it to do, make a statement. He probably did not realize it would get that kind of reaction but I am not suprised. As a daily reader of the Washington Post, it is my hometown newspaper, I am not suprised what the guy drew. He generally draws pretty liberal viewpoints of the current issues, Bush, Cheney and other administration figures are common targets. I really don't think he is that good of a political cartoonist. First off, his drawings suck, I could have drawn better in kindergarten. Secondly, he is never subtle or has any wit in his editorial cartoons. He bludgeons you over the head with his points. Most people off the street could do a better job.

By the way, there were dueling articles about the cartoon in the Washington Post and the Washington Times. They are both on the Early Bird if you have access. The Post article talks about the reaction without much commentary while the Times has a little commentary thrown in.

This cartoon and things like it are what you get when you have freedom of speech, ain't it grand? GBA!

KBayDog

AllAmerican75 said:
For some reason that actually sounds funny. Maybe it's my twisted sense of humor, but seeing a bunch of old guys in Class A's with loaded M16s sounds sorta like the premise for a cheesy comedy.

Exactly. I used that example to illustrate just how different things are on this side of the pond.

Yes, we are all outraged that the image of a wounded warrior was used to elicit laughs. Yet, how are we responding? By discussing it, writing letters, and maybe (HOPEFULLY) boycotting the offending publication.

I once heard a rumor that the pen is mightier than the sword. Is there any truth to that?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
I once heard a rumor that the pen is mightier than the sword. Is there any truth to that?

Well, according to my FITREPS, the keyboard is even mighter than the pen. I kid. Sort of.