• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24-Star letter to Washington Post

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Washington Post Political? Cartoon...and our Joint Chiefs' reaction to it. Bravo. Rumor is that it has been processed and will be printed tomorrow (2FEB).

~D

Attachments

• 060131-Washington Post letter.pdf
    62.1 KB · Views: 560
  • untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    36.9 KB · Views: 720

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm appalled. That is one of the most tasteless things I've seen in newsprint. The Times and the 'artist' should be ashamed of themselves.

Like they said in their letter, it's pretty rare that ALL the Joint Chiefs sign their names to something like that, but I applaud their professionalism. Having met both General Pace and General Hagee, I can easily picture them seething with anger over that cartoon, and I admire their restraint.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I cannot even ****ing believe that was drawn. I cannot even comprehend the individual that carries these disgusting thoughts in their mind. That makes me sick to my stomach.....

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'm stunned.

Cheers to the Joint Chiefs. Hope that the letter gets printed into the Post... Chunks, how'd you come across that?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Wow... to echo, I cant believe that was drawn and more appaling, published. Betcha my next two paychecks neither the artist or the editors of WP have any relatives or friends over there right now. Good on the JCS for saying something about it.

I'll second Dan in saying the letter should be published as well. But the odds of that happening are... slim next to none?

Maybe the artist needs to spend a week or two in the field with a Marine or Army unit and see what actually happens to our guys.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
The "artist" will claim that the cartoon is being "taken out of context."

Probably... but I don't give a flying Fvck, I'm writing.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ChunksJR said:

Done .... letter sent .... words escape me now ... I used them all up in the letter.

But it appears that we continue to witness some of the worst rancor in the American body politic that I have seen since the bad old days of Vietnam .... but remember: when it comes right down to it --- you ultimately fight for the people standing right there with you --- on your right and left shoulder.

We -- American military personnel -- don't need the Toles' or the Washington Posts' of the world. We just have to defend them; so they can have their "right" to criticize us. Irony .... Shakespere's immortal passage out of King Henry VIII has always encapsulated it for me ...

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother

shortncurly

Sorry, A4s (and I NEVER thought I'd be correcting you on anything!) but that wasn't Henry VIII, that was Henry V. The "St. Crispin's Day" speech is one of my all time faves, though. Kenneth Branagh TOTALLY rocked it in his movie adaptation.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
shortncurly said:
Sorry, A4s ... (but that wasn't Henry VIII, that was Henry V. The "St. Crispin's Day" speech is one of my all time faves, though. Kenneth Branagh TOTALLY rocked it in his movie adaptation.

Begin slight threadjack/course correction:

Yeah, of course, you are right ... but that's O.K. as I also misspelled "Shakespeare" (sic) as well. Henry V, Act IV, Scene 3 ... I've even got it saved on my computer ....

I must have been thinking of Herman's Hermits when I said Henry VIII ... ???

Threadjack OUT.
shortncurly said:
and I NEVER thought I'd be correcting you on anything!)

P.S. / you are forgiven ..... ;)

shortncurly

Well, I noticed the misspelling of old Bill's name, too, but let that slide because a lot of scholars can't even agree on how to spell it in the first place. [/geek]

Oh, and can I have your phone number? When I'm up at 3 am with "I'm Henry the Eighth I am, Henry the Eighth I am, I am...." running through my head, I'd like to give you a call. If I can't sleep, neither should you! :)