• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24 AUG 15 SWO OCS BOARD

exNavyOffRec

Nothing from me. I was going to give it to the end of the week before going back to the 24th because it would usually take a week or two for results. I am hoping that someone else can confirm with me though.

In house boards are usually quick, board on Monday results on Friday, every board is different though.

Matthew10

even if it wasn't held it would still be the next board, the deadline has come and gone for the Aug board.
My recruiter said I should still be good even though I'm submitting my packet next week for the 24 August deadline. The board isn't till September. Kinda like the Intel board coming up which the deadline is only 2 days later on the 26th

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My recruiter said I should still be good even though I'm submitting my packet next week for the 24 August deadline. The board isn't till September. Kinda like the Intel board coming up which the deadline is only 2 days later on the 26th

NRC specifically put out the submission deadline being 24 July.

Sounds like your recruiter is blowing smoke. In my experience these guys usually know less about what is going on than the average person on these boards. Trust RUFiO. I've been around here for going on two years, and he's never given an exact date that was wrong to the best of my knowledge.

If I'd listened to him first, instead of my recruiter, I'd have had a much easier time of it in this process.

Well regardless if it was held or not I'm still putting my packet in. If not on the 24 of Aug I'll just be on the next one. Since its rolling I'm sure it will be in September or something close!

Let me put this out there, because it wasn't put out there for me, and led to me making some poor choices. Don't chase OCS like it's just over the horizon. If you missed this board (and it looks like you did) have a plan for the next year that will occupy your time. I made the assumption / was giving the implication when I started this process that boards were frequent and that the turn around would be quick. That is not always the case.

The last SWO board was in March. That's a more than 5 month gap between boards. Even if you are selected on the very next board, there are guys still sitting here from that March board that haven't left for OCS. This is not a quick process. It's entirely possible that the next board is 6 months away, and that even if your kit is extremely competitive you will be waiting 6 months after that to ship.

Even if the next board happens in September (unlikely) and you are selected, things can come up that keep you from attending (background, medical, etc).

Basically, take care of yourself. Don't put your eggs in this basket. Don't sit in a crummy college job thinking this is your future. OCS is no sure thing, and it will happen on the Navy's time.

SWOALEXANDER

Let me put this out there, because it wasn't put out there for me, and led to me making some poor choices. Don't chase OCS like it's just over the horizon. If you missed this board (and it looks like you did) have a plan for the next year that will occupy your time. I made the assumption / was giving the implication when I started this process that boards were frequent and that the turn around would be quick. That is not always the case.

The last SWO board was in March. That's a more than 5 month gap between boards. Even if you are selected on the very next board, there are guys still sitting here from that March board that haven't left for OCS. This is not a quick process. It's entirely possible that the next board is 6 months away, and that even if your kit is extremely competitive you will be waiting 6 months after that to ship.

Even if the next board happens in September (unlikely) and you are selected, things can come up that keep you from attending (background, medical, etc).

Basically, take care of yourself. Don't put your eggs in this basket. Don't sit in a crummy college job thinking this is your future. OCS is no sure thing, and it will happen on the Navy's time.
I couldn't agree with this more. No matter how good your references are, OAR, GPA, etc., none of those things are a guarantee of selection. While it is my desire and wish to serve in the Navy, in the end the needs of the Navy are the determining factor. This isn't a short and sweet process. On the other hand I'm still choosing to be optimistic and am greatly anticipating the 24 August board date!

csabol

Indeed, I was quite surprised to hear of the large gap between boards. I was under the assumption they were held every three or so months.

Pichardo

Tribilin
NRC specifically put out the submission deadline being 24 July.

My recruiter said they can submit an exception to policy letter, which would allow my kit to be submitted after the suggested deadline of 24 Jul. I wasn't clear on what the exception is, but I'm assuming that it’s because I'm Hispanic and they want to meet a certain diversity quota. Is this possible?

irish08slasher

Irishslasher
My recruiter said they can submit an exception to policy letter, which would allow my kit to be submitted after the suggested deadline of 24 Jul. I wasn't clear on what the exception is, but I'm assuming that it’s because I'm Hispanic and they want to meet a certain diversity quota. Is this possible?

I believe what you are suggesting is considered illegal, I'm certain that is not the case.

SharkBait

I believe what you are suggesting is considered illegal, I'm certain that is not the case.
Exception to policy letters are a real thing and they can do them for just about any reason. I could believe it, if they have a certain quota to meet to ensure that diversity requirements are met it sounds like a logical thing to do.

irish08slasher

Irishslasher
Exception to policy letters are a real thing and they can do them for just about any reason. I could believe it, if they have a certain quota to meet to ensure that diversity requirements are met it sounds like a logical thing to do.

I had assumed diversity quotas would be frowned upon in the military, but I suppose that was a presupposition.

exNavyOffRec

good luck with that, the applications are reviewed then burned to a CD, if they have already been burned you will be at the next board, or the worst scenario is what happened to me, my candidate missed a deadline due to NRC processor screwing up, we pushed the issue to get him the board, they said they would push it for review, it was shot back in 24 hours as pro X, unreadable document, resubmit next board, sometimes pushing the issue is not good at all

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I'm almost certain NRC has made goal for Hispanic submissions and I don't certainly see an exception to policy letter being accepted for a rolling SWO board that meets 4-5 times a year.

Anchors_Away

I hope they do indeed begin meeting that frequently. I submitted in early March and just found out my kit was held at NRD and never submitted to NRC due to that diversity goal you mentioned. After 6 months, heres to waiting on the next board :/