• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23MAY2022 SNA/SNFO BOARD

villo0692

Just make sure if you end up your OHARP early, you talk to your detailer and once you get your new set of orders you hurry your ass here, meaning, don’t be like “oh ima end up OHARP 2 months early and then I don’t have to check in for another two months, so ima go dick around while getting paid” sounds like common sense but there’s a dude here (not an officer) who got in trouble for doing something like this (a world of shit of trouble too)

ijsha_brooks

JustDoIt!
For those that were selected through ISPP when you submitted your application did you get exactly what you requested? I submitted for pilot as primary and NFO as secondary and wanted to see my chances of getting pilot since I listed it first.

Shheen

For those that were selected through ISPP when you submitted your application did you get exactly what you requested? I submitted for pilot as primary and NFO as secondary and wanted to see my chances of getting pilot since I listed it first.
Yes, i applied pilot-nfo and got pilot.

You’ll graduate on Friday, checking in here around Monday or Tuesday….yeah its real quick
How does this work if you have a family, own a house, have to move everyone and everything ect...? Do you check in to Pensacola then get some type of leave? That seems inefficient especially since there is such a long wait to get started.

smpl_dude

How does this work if you have a family, own a house, have to move everyone and everything ect...? Do you check in to Pensacola then get some type of leave? That seems inefficient especially since there is such a long wait to get started.
I've also been wondering this. I've got a wife and a lot of stuff I've got to move across the country.

I've also been wondering this. I've got a wife and a lot of stuff I've got to move across the country.
Yeah I have no idea. This is completely different than any other move I've ever had to do while active duty. My gut feeling is that those of us with houses and families to move will get some type of transfer leave and/or house hunting leave to take care of our personal affairs. For active duty folks, we have leave saved up that we can use as well. Idk how it will work for prior civilians. For people without a house or family to move I can see how it would make sense to check in to Pensacola immediately. I also will need to sell my house and all kinds of other stuff to do.

flgator92

None
Yeah I have no idea. This is completely different than any other move I've ever had to do while active duty. My gut feeling is that those of us with houses and families to move will get some type of transfer leave and/or house hunting leave to take care of our personal affairs. For active duty folks, we have leave saved up that we can use as well. Idk how it will work for prior civilians. For people without a house or family to move I can see how it would make sense to check in to Pensacola immediately. I also will need to sell my house and all kinds of other stuff to do.
When I checked in (albeit a while ago), they didn't (i.e., wouldn't) give us house hunting leave - wasn't a thing at NASC/API. You can always take leave en route. Or, you can do OHARP and go back home after OCS - if they're offering it- which may help some. Otherwise, I'd talk to your class team at OCS when you're getting close to finishing/your orders cut for guidance. The mentality after commissioning is get down to API for check-in as quickly as possible regardless (indeed, it can be irritating considering the wait times). Also, if your orders are cut as PCS orders, you should receive a HHG shipment and then your spouse can meet you down in Pensacola after they pick up your things from your family's current home. Oftentimes in this line of work, your spouse may have to handle the move/meet you at your new duty station anyways.

JacksonJ8

I’ve got a pair of 9.5 Bellevue 800 st boots worn once small scuff on toe from shipping if anyone wants them. Scuff will be covered up by boot polish no problem!

Mouselovr

Contributor
Welcome to the Navy. Its hurry up and wait.

In your case, I highly recommend taking OHARP. This will allow you the time to figure things out.

However, if you get your orders to go straight to Pcola, you have 4 days to get there if you drive. Any days beyond that will be charged leave. Upon arriving in Pcola, you'll get 10 free days at the Navy lodge to find a place to live.

You could book it home, pack your whole house and then head directly to FL, but I would not recommend that.

The military has a service called HHG where they will move everything you own for you, but depending on where you live in the country it could take some time.

Regardless if you get OHARP or not, I'd recommend doing an HHG shipment and having your family stick around until its all moved out while you find a place in FL. After all the stuff has been moved and in transit, they can come join you in Pcola.

Talk to the priors. They'll be familiar with the process of PCSing

Welcome to the Navy. Its hurry up and wait.

In your case, I highly recommend taking OHARP. This will allow you the time to figure things out.

However, if you get your orders to go straight to Pcola, you have 4 days to get there if you drive. Any days beyond that will be charged leave. Upon arriving in Pcola, you'll get 10 free days at the Navy lodge to find a place to live.

You could book it home, pack your whole house and then head directly to FL, but I would not recommend that.

The military has a service called HHG where they will move everything you own for you, but depending on where you live in the country it could take some time.

Regardless if you get OHARP or not, I'd recommend doing an HHG shipment and having your family stick around until its all moved out while you find a place in FL. After all the stuff has been moved and in transit, they can come join you in Pcola.

Talk to the priors. They'll be familiar with the process of PCSing
I appreciate the advice! I'm AD and have PCS'd 3 times already which is why I'm so confused at how this process will work. Typically the Navy has been very good to me about allowing me time to get my personal affairs in order before a PCS. It sounds like I will have to talk to my class team. I just don't understand how there isnt a plan in place for people who own homes have spouses/kids to graduate OCS then get time to take care of personal affairs, pack, and move the family. I know its the Navy but in my 10 years I have seen them be very accommodating to people PCSing.

Guess I will have to be asking a lot of questions when I get there, unless anyone who has gone through the process can weigh-in.