• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 May 18 Pilot/NFO Selection Board

Ozarky

pilot
Yeah, I was completely out of shape and couldn't get my life together in a week haha. This time around, I should be in better shape...If i could get rid of this dang shin pain.

I just got some compression sleeves that seem to have helped my shin pain! Worth checking out. Also, from what I’ve read, you can wear them during PT at OCS as long as you get a note from medical.

andrewt

Yeah, I was completely out of shape and couldn't get my life together in a week haha. This time around, I should be in better shape...If i could get rid of this dang shin pain.
In case you missed it
I’ve refrained from posting, however, due to the frequent talk of shin splints, I would like to add my knowledge to this discussion.
Back story on me, exercise Science major with a focus in physical therapy. I was a physical therapy assistant in the army and was part of the team that started the new rehabilitation program/training regimen for the army.
The causes of shin splints are due to excessive amounts of stress being put on the muscles along the tibia. However, it can be healed and even prevented prior to any injury occurring. Running form can be a main cause but with a proper gait analysis and gait training it can be corrected. Constant running without time to heal will lead to shin splints, however, a good way to prevent this is by implementing a proper stretching regimen. One where you are holding the stretches 30-60 seconds and performing the stretches 3-4 times a day. One of the main causes of shin splints is tightness in the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles (calf muscles ). Proper stretching will help eliminate most of these issues along with a proper strengthen regimen. Also, wearing shoes that fit the way you run is very important. One shoe style is not for everyone. Hope this helps!
I'd add to that to just run on grass when possible. Never had shin splints playing soccer but definitely did during cross country.

jnaylor

You should get a baseball or lacrosse ball and roll your shin on it (not the bone, the muscle). Also if you take a dixie cup and fill it with water and then throw it in the freezer; you can give yourself a massage with it.

rockthearts281

meh, worst case scenario, we die.
You should get a baseball or lacrosse ball and roll your shin on it (not the bone, the muscle). Also if you take a dixie cup and fill it with water and then throw it in the freezer; you can give yourself a massage with it.

I literally pictured you taking a enlisted dress cover (called dixie cups) and filling it with water and freezing it. Which sounds outlandish until you hear kids fresh out of bootcamp testing their seabags for watertight integrity.

rockthearts281

meh, worst case scenario, we die.
You will get it. Now imagine doing 5 years with Navy terminology then having to learn Air Force lingo. Still dont know what half of what they say means 4 years later.

Jamie_D

I've been doing that for the past two weeks since it started and even before then too to try and prevent them as much as possible. It's painful as heck! But helps. The pain is still there but slowly getting better. The weird thing is, I was running for a month with the advice you gave me a while ago and it just happened all of a sudden without a change in pace or type of runs. I swear just when I think I understand running....
In case you missed it

I'd add to that to just run on grass when possible. Never had shin splints playing soccer but definitely did during cross country.

Thank you for that info! I've noticed that stretching and rolling out my calves before running and after helped a lot. My left shin is almost back to normal. I just slowed down but didn't stop the mileage I'm running. I can't afford to stop running or lessen it at this point.

Jamie_D

I just got some compression sleeves that seem to have helped my shin pain! Worth checking out. Also, from what I’ve read, you can wear them during PT at OCS as long as you get a note from medical.
Thanks! I'll take a look into them!

andrewt

I've been doing that for the past two weeks since it started and even before then too to try and prevent them as much as possible. It's painful as heck! But helps. The pain is still there but slowly getting better. The weird thing is, I was running for a month with the advice you gave me a while ago and it just happened all of a sudden without a change in pace or type of runs. I swear just when I think I understand running....

Thank you for that info! I've noticed that stretching and rolling out my calves before running and after helped a lot. My left shin is almost back to normal. I just slowed down but didn't stop the mileage I'm running. I can't afford to stop running or lessen it at this point.
Thank @Sara Trickett. She be lurking.

I dont know what others might think of this, but Ive been keeping my runs pretty short and doing 2 miles at a 6.5-7 minute mile pace, and then occasionally doing some more at a slower pace, maybe 3-4 miles total. Feels a little harder on the knees, running that fast, but thats what the PRT calls for.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
I make a habit of drawing the alphabet with my toes to strength shins.

And you can we're compression gear on shins at OCS? That's huge...

TheWhale

I know what you mean. I've developed a pain in the piriformis muscle that's going to slow me down.

Sparty1991

I don't know how much you all are running but it seems like it might be a bit too much. In my experience most people always overthink and over prepare for the unknown. Except we all have a general idea of what to expect. If you're in good shape you're going to be fine. If you have heart and willpower you'll do great. I think at this stage it's more about staying a certain level and maybe once or twice a week really push yourself. Don't get hurt trying to get ready and then screw yourself. Just my opinion . . .

TheWhale

I don't know how much you all are running but it seems like it might be a bit too much. In my experience most people always overthink and over prepare for the unknown. Except we all have a general idea of what to expect. If you're in good shape you're going to be fine. If you have heart and willpower you'll do great. I think at this stage it's more about staying a certain level and maybe once or twice a week really push yourself. Don't get hurt trying to get ready and then screw yourself. Just my opinion . . .
Well said!

Judge Q

Judging You
I literally pictured you taking a enlisted dress cover (called dixie cups) and filling it with water and freezing it. Which sounds outlandish until you hear kids fresh out of bootcamp testing their seabags for watertight integrity.

That's what I pictured too...and I can't claim having been enlisted in the Navy as my excuse.