• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Biff42

Yeah iam gonna be applying for SNA and NFO. I get finished with my B.S in May, so getting my shit together for the July Board

exNavyOffRec

As explained to me by my XO/CO this is a recurring Rollercoaster. We are in a low and slow due to over recruitment/covid/backups in Pcola and else where in the fleet. Once those smooth out or start moving there is gonna be a significant jump in quotas both NFO and SNA.
This has not happened for SNA or SNFO in at least 15 years, it is in a way due to over selection due to lower recruiting numbers needed by NRC, that itself can be due to many things as you look at what you need at the end, you then work back to get the recruitment numbers making sure to include average attrition. If attrition drops in any pipeline you need less, if it goes up you need more, if the end numbers are lower less are needed as well.

The numbers needed for FY 22 were essentially already shipped to OCS by the time the actual numbers needed came out, and when the backup issues hit where they needed to halt shipping most of FY 23 had already shipped.

Don't expect any jump in yearly quotas unless the USN decides they need more aviators in the fleet.

mcwisconsin

This has not happened for SNA or SNFO in at least 15 years, it is in a way due to over selection due to lower recruiting numbers needed by NRC, that itself can be due to many things as you look at what you need at the end, you then work back to get the recruitment numbers making sure to include average attrition. If attrition drops in any pipeline you need less, if it goes up you need more, if the end numbers are lower less are needed as well.

The numbers needed for FY 22 were essentially already shipped to OCS by the time the actual numbers needed came out, and when the backup issues hit where they needed to halt shipping most of FY 23 had already shipped.

Don't expect any jump in yearly quotas unless the USN decides they need more aviators in the fleet.
Would you say that the Navy's pilot shortage is over then? Or is the problem more so that the pipeline is still backed up from issues that arose in 2020 and 2021?

exNavyOffRec

Would you say that the Navy's pilot shortage is over then? Or is the problem more so that the pipeline is still backed up from issues that arose in 2020 and 2021?
There never was a pilot shortage in regards to new accessions, it was a retention issue. You cannot fix retention issues with more new accessions since a newly winged pilot won't have the qualifications or experience as a LCDR looking at leaving AD.

cjwinton01

SNA Applicant

so it’s the worst time in 15 years for anyone looking to be a naval aviator? I’m nowhere close to aging out but man. Having to wait another two years to get something sounds killer.

BDavis11

Contributor
Sheesh, fy25 is a hot minute from now. That’d suck to wait that long after being selected in May
True! Being AD I’m not worried about that wait. However I def busters and that kind of wait from the civilian side though. So much would be in limbo just waiting

Jacksa71

Honestly, I like this decision because they might open pilot for the May board. If not, I am still not worry about it because would like either or designator. I am in the same boat as Davis, staying at my current command for another year or two will be great and then leave right before deployment. However, would not mind going on my upcoming deployment because I never done an east coast cruise.

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
Honestly, I like this decision because they might open pilot for the May board. If not, I am still not worry about it because would like either or designator. I am in the same boat as Davis, staying at my current command for another year or two will be great and then leave right before deployment. However, would not mind going on my upcoming deployment because I never done an east coast cruise.
Hope you like the Middle East and a nice dose of Bahrain and maybe if you’re really lucky… Duqm