• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 20FEB2023 SWO BOARD

MichULTA

Good evening all,

OAR: 62 (46 first board submittal in Aug)
LOR: ret marine fighter pilot o-5, ret o-6 navy pilot + nasa shuttle pilot/astronaut, former boss from multinational investment bank
GPA: 3.3
Major: Finance
Minor: Entrepreneurship
Extra curriculars: BJJ, reading, Camping, lifting
Languages: some Spanish

Was a no-go on my aug board submission likely due to my 46 OAR. Thought maybe my LOR would have carried me due to a ret navy capt/astronaut wrote it, but was non select. Grinded to improve OAR score to 62, so we’ll see how this submission goes!

exNavyOffRec

Good evening all,

OAR: 62 (46 first board submittal in Aug)
LOR: ret marine fighter pilot o-5, ret o-6 navy pilot + nasa shuttle pilot/astronaut, former boss from multinational investment bank
GPA: 3.3
Major: Finance
Minor: Entrepreneurship
Extra curriculars: BJJ, reading, Camping, lifting
Languages: some Spanish

Was a no-go on my aug board submission likely due to my 46 OAR. Thought maybe my LOR would have carried me due to a ret navy capt/astronaut wrote it, but was non select. Grinded to improve OAR score to 62, so we’ll see how this submission goes!
Decent GPA, not a GPA that will be a sure thing but one that make me slightly surprised you didn't get picked up.

The OAR essentially just gets you to the board and carries little or no weight.

Did you have any non-medical waivers at all? Those can be a factor as well depending on what it was for.

LOR's for most designators aren't really looked at, the designators that do look at them want them to be from people that have seen you perform, where the person writing the LOR talks about seeing you perform over time. LOR's from people that you just meet to get an LOR are essentially going to have no weight.

Just looking at your degree and GPA you have a decent application.

MichULTA

Decent GPA, not a GPA that will be a sure thing but one that make me slightly surprised you didn't get picked up.

The OAR essentially just gets you to the board and carries little or no weight.

Did you have any non-medical waivers at all? Those can be a factor as well depending on what it was for.

LOR's for most designators aren't really looked at, the designators that do look at them want them to be from people that have seen you perform, where the person writing the LOR talks about seeing you perform over time. LOR's from people that you just meet to get an LOR are essentially going to have no weight.

Just looking at your degree and GPA you have a decent application.
Appreciate the reply. No waivers at all, last app I didn’t have Spanish down, didn’t have the o-5 rec, had less extra curriculars listed. I figured my gpa wasn’t terrible but maybe finance degree was a red flag compared to other applicants? Not sure why I was a non select but recruiter recommended to retake OAR due to an “okay” score. Figured that due to a lot of current/prior E applicants were favored and I just didn’t make the cut. Hopefully this time goes better

exNavyOffRec

Appreciate the reply. No waivers at all, last app I didn’t have Spanish down, didn’t have the o-5 rec, had less extra curriculars listed. I figured my gpa wasn’t terrible but maybe finance degree was a red flag compared to other applicants? Not sure why I was a non select but recruiter recommended to retake OAR due to an “okay” score. Figured that due to a lot of current/prior E applicants were favored and I just didn’t make the cut. Hopefully this time goes better
It is mostly all about degree and GPA, a prior doesn't get special advantage just for being a prior, that has blown up in communities faces before. I have seen many with degree that were non tech get SWO, things like nutrition, exercise science, history, english, etc....

Spanish won't matter either, officers (except FAO's) have no need for foreign language, that is the job of enlisted.

Sometimes a decent GPA and degree get a yes the first time, sometimes they get a no and then they try again with nothing different and get picked up. I have had that happen some with better GPA's than you, some with worse. You are in the GPA range where that sometimes happens.

MichULTA

It is mostly all about degree and GPA, a prior doesn't get special advantage just for being a prior, that has blown up in communities faces before. I have seen many with degree that were non tech get SWO, things like nutrition, exercise science, history, english, etc....

Spanish won't matter either, officers (except FAO's) have no need for foreign language, that is the job of enlisted.

Sometimes a decent GPA and degree get a yes the first time, sometimes they get a no and then they try again with nothing different and get picked up. I have had that happen some with better GPA's than you, some with worse. You are in the GPA range where that sometimes happens.
Good to know. Hopefully board drops come sooner than how long it took for the Aug board. Not sure if I want to apply for the next board just to wait that long again or just go enlisted to get out of here. Very much want to serve and lead but would be happy just leaving to serve in general. All we can do is wait at this point !

Has anyone received a message stated that they made the board? I submitted back in January on time but still haven’t heard whether my package is at board

Super2431

SuperNavygirl !!!
Has anyone received a message stated that they made the board? I submitted back in January on time but still haven’t heard whether my package is at board
Hey after about two weeks of not hearing anything i called Paul. Remember he’s the only person processing applications for thousands of us so sometimes they get lost he was very honest with me about that.

I’m definitely giving him a call tomorrow because i want to revamp my package if there was any issues and I didn’t make this board for some reason.

Super2431

SuperNavygirl !!!
Y
I’m definitely giving him a call tomorrow because i want to revamp my package if there was any issues and I didn’t make this board for some reason.
Yes do that !! Get acquainted with him he’s so knowledgeable. But no need to revamp your package have faith you got in for this board .