• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2010 DCO/DIRCOM boards: questions, answers, and discussion

das

Contributor
FM63,

Welcome! Glad you decided to post! It looks like you have a very solid package there! Intel is one of the communities that looks at ASTB, so scores like that aren't going to hurt one bit!

This board is a little strange for Intel, partly because there are so few slots and because it's the first joint board with IW and IP. Indeed, I have heard similar numbers regarding applicants before this board. Your languages, educational background, and interviews will be viewed very favorably.

Like you, I had a person who was a big reason for my desire to serve in the Navy...my group's director for 10 years was an old Navy man and a great inspiration to me.

So...hopefully we'll have news soon. Best of luck to you and everyone awaiting news!

das

Contributor
Well, I just heard from my recruiter, and unfortunately I was not selected for either IW or IP, both of which I had a package in for.

Final numbers for selections from this board:

11 IW
13 IP
31 Intel
278 total applicants

Packages that were non-select had one or more of the following general characteristics:

- Conflicting interview assessments
- Lack of quantifiable leadership experience
- Non-applicable employment experience
- Insufficient educational experience
- Poor writing skills

Congratulations to those selected and best wishes on your new journey.

das

Contributor
Wow, I'm dying here.

You seemed to have a strong app. :(

Well, I think it just goes to show the strength and quality of the applicant pool. I put together the best package I could, and I'll see what I can do next time. Also, don't count yourself out -- never count yourself out -- because you may have something the Navy really wants...

Devil Duck

das, I think you're spot on with the comment about the stregnth of the pool. Even so, I'm shocked you weren't picked up. Best of luck in the fall.

drustynail

Well, I'm certainly not holding my breath after reading that you din't get picked up das. For what it's worth I'm sorry to hear the news as I fully expected to be able to congratulate you.

As for me I was actually was tabled back in SEP for intel. Don't know if anyone else did but mine was because I lacked a RIPO endorsement. I've got over 15 years of managerial and supervising experience with some recent Media Intel exp. However I only got a 58 on my OAR and 7/7/7. No prior service or any military LORs and at the time of the SEP board I only had a BA earned.

Here's the sh*ter: my recruiter told me that the only allowed modification to my intel packet was to add the missing RIPO endorsement. The catch is that I started on my MA this year and am in the works for an intership at USSOUTHCOM through my University. There are whops of other information in the original packet that is out of date like employment, additional experience, scores, etc because it's a year old snapshot. My recruiter never really explained to me what being tabled entails but somehow I expect that if life changing experiences occured to make me a better/stronger candidate I should have been allowed to add them. I don't know what to say about my situation as the last I heard from my recruiter was in FEB.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the work I'm doing with my masters and will work in intel on the civilian side. I may have to wait for another fiscal year to have as strong of a package as most of you but hopefully will be able to run into you fleetside. Best of luck everyone.

das

Contributor
drustynail,

This is my second non-select, so I'm beginning to get good at it, I think. :icon_wink

First, "only" a 7/7/7/58 is actually a great score. When I talked with my recruiter this morning, he happened to mention (if I recall correctly) that one of the Intel-specific complaints was for candidates with an OAR of below 35 (!). Don't sweat your ASTB...that's a great score, seriously.

Don't assume anything until the fat lady sings, because if you've got formal and quantifiable management/supervisory experience, that's huge for DCO. I have worked in the same organization for 15 years, but unfortunately, even though I have various leadership roles, none of it is written into my job title/responsibilities.

I, too, will continue my masters, and continue the work I've been doing. I'm 36 now so I have a little time left to still apply... :icon_wink

das

Contributor
What is a RIPO endorsement?

Reserve Intelligence Program Officer. This refers to an endorsement from your area's Navy Intelligence Reserve Region (NIRR) (previously Reserve Intelligence Area (RIA)). Since the SEP09 board, the Intel community has also added requirements for a board interview with senior Intel officers that must be less than one year old.

FredWebster

Is there anyone else aside from das who has heard? And das, do you know the recruiters' plans for informing the applicants on our selection or lack thereof?

das

Contributor
Is there anyone else aside from das who has heard? And das, do you know the recruiters' plans for informing the applicants on our selection or lack thereof?

I believe all of your recruiters should now have access to the results letter in their system. I have kept in pretty regular touch with my recruiter throughout this process, and probably harassed him to let me know ASAP more than most (and also gave him the heads up that the results had been released by the board). From experience, I have seen that many recruiters might not be aware the results are available so soon, as they have many candidates and many various boards on their plates, and may not even check immediately unless you call/email them and ask. Usually your recruiter will contact you as soon as he or she finds out results are available, but if you're anxious to find out, a quick phone call can't hurt!

mrcuento

Thanks to you das for your great info that I sent my recruiter an e-mail last night and he called me this morning to tell me I was pro rec'd for Intel. He told me he needed to prepare my affiliation paperwork and I need to go back to MEPS. It's been 22 years since i've been to MEPS and it was not a fond memory.

Best of luck to everybody! Being one of the "lurkers" das was referring to, I learned so much from these threads. Thanks to all of you for putting great info out there for everybody.

GIJ316

I have a call into my NRD asking for feedback. Not hearing a thing.

DAS, thank you for all the great support you have provided. I wish you the best.

prozoe1985

Thanks das!

Well I am not going to call my recruiter; I will wait for his call or email.
A little about me:
14 yrs Navy Reserves (Current)
Bachelor of Science: Computer Science Information Systems
Master of Science Administration; Technology Resources Management
MSCE
CSSIP
Employment:
Lead Systems Engineer (Current)
Information Technology Manager, 3yrs (Former)
Program Manager, 2yrs (Former)

LOR
Two Flag Officers
Interviews: 3 Very Good in Person interviews by 0-4
We will see what happens!

das

Contributor
mrcuento, congratulations!! Best of luck in the next steps. (By the way, you don't have to go to MEPS-proper; there are less, well, infuriating ways to complete the medical clearance process. :icon_wink )

prozoe1985, looks like you have a very solid package there! Your enlisted Navy experience, educational background, and professional certifications will definitely serve you well!

To GIJ316 other folks waiting, I know you'll hear soon...and I hope you don't have to wait over the weekend, but it will be very soon now!