• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2010 DCO/DIRCOM boards: questions, answers, and discussion

das

Contributor
There are 9 Intel slots for the entire nation at this board. With the 57 from the September 2009 board, that's a total of 66 for FY10. There are 70 applicants for Intel at this board; see Devil Duck's post earlier in the thread for a possible explanation of why this is.

If it makes you feel any better, there are only 5 IW and 10 IP slots for the whole fiscal year. Some reserve communities have sometimes had a single slot for an entire year; it's all based on budgets and the needs of the Navy.

From what I have seen, Intel typically has the most slots at the first board of the fiscal year. Then, remaining slots are filled as necessary over the course of the rest of the year. This is the last FY10 board. The first FY11 IDC (Intel, IW, IP) board is currently planned for September 2010.

das

Contributor
The March IDC board is next week from 22-25 MAR 2010 (i.e., it's not just a single day). The selections are known once the board is complete, and your recruiter should have access to the results in OTools within a week (it's possible it could even be that Friday, but most likely within the next week).

lauyr1

Board Dates

I am a civilian and have applied for Intel/DCO. My recruiter told me the board met last week, 09 March and we are just awaiting results. I was curious as to where you got the 23-25 March dates.

Thanks and best of luck to everyone...

das

Contributor
I am a civilian and have applied for Intel/DCO. My recruiter told me the board met last week, 09 March and we are just awaiting results. I was curious as to where you got the 23-25 March dates.

Thanks and best of luck to everyone...

Hello lauyr1,

The 22-25MAR10 date should be on your recruiter's Reserve DCO board schedule, and the deadline to have packages submitted was 05MAR10. The dates came from the schedule and the Head Recorder for this board in Millington, TN. This is the first ever joint Information Dominance Corps (IDC) review board, and will review candidates for the Intel, Information Warfare (IW), and Information Professional (IP) communities together.

Best of luck!

das

Contributor
I've noticed a lot of "lurkers" and guests viewing this thread...presumably folks interested in (or already in) the DCO/DIRCOM process. For those so inclined, don't be shy: register for an account and share your thoughts, questions, and experiences!

GIJ316

Anyone gaining any insight into the IDC boards?

With the boards now meeting, is anyone getting any feedback, or is this a 'black out' period?

Also, did anyone also apply for the EDO boards? EDO, I am told, meets as they receive what they consider to be a decent number of qualified candidates. I applied on that board as well.

das

Contributor
With the boards now meeting, is anyone getting any feedback, or is this a 'black out' period?

While the board is meeting, there really won't be any information to be had. Once a DCO board is complete, the results should already be known, and will begin to trickle out via the normal channels. Recruiters should have access to this information via OTools soon (hours/days) after the board is complete. Any information being released during a board would probably be considered a violation of the strict rules surrounding the selection board process. See e.g. these rules applicable to other selection boards (in this case, promotion boards):

While at the board

Only SECNAV may speak to board members in person about substantive matters once the board convenes. Designated support staff is authorized to speak to you about administrative matters.

All substantive communications to the board must be in writing, be given to each member, and made a part of the board's record.

Limit all substantive conversations about the board to the officially designated board spaces, i.e. the boardroom and tank. Do not discuss substantive board matters with anyone, anywhere else, e.g., in heads, the lunchroom, in the van en route to and from the board spaces, or at the BOQ. All substantive discussions must take place in the boardroom or tank. A recorder must be present for all tank deliberations.

No lists, notes, or writing you compile during the board may leave the selection board area. At the end of the board all lists, notes, and other writings must be left in the deliberation room burn bags.

You may only consider official records and written or published material furnished to you by the selection board administrative staff.

You may not consider any written or published material not provided to you by the selection board administrative staff.

You may not discuss anything adverse about an officer that is not in the official record provided to you at the board.

After the Board

Your duty to maintain the confidentiality of the board's proceedings, deliberations, and results is required by law. Do not disclose anything about your board's proceedings, deliberations, or results to anyone unless specifically authorized by competent authority.

You may not counsel or advise an officer who failed to select for promotion at your board as to why he or she may not have been picked. Direct the officer to contact his or her detailer or community manager for counseling.

Do not disclose the proceedings, deliberations, vote of the board, including how you voted, or names of officers selected or not selected for promotion to anyone unless authorized by competent authority to do so.

das

Contributor
The 22-25MAR10 IDC board is complete, and the results have been released to NRC (Navy Recruiting Command) in Millington, TN, this afternoon. As of this writing, the NRDs (Navy Recruiting Districts, i.e., your recruiters) do not have access to the results yet. I don't know my own results, just passing along this information. The results could be available as early as this evening, but most likely tomorrow.

The results have traditionally come in the form of a "letter" from BUPERS, which contains the names of folks professionally recommended ("selected", and for which community), not selected, or not competitive. I understand that it is also possible to have "alternates" (meaning if those selected end up not getting "final select" for medical or other reasons, or decline their commission, an alternate could take the spot), and it may be possible to "table" applicants for a future board. However, I don't have any direct knowledge of the last two being used on any Reserve Community board I have seen over the last couple years or so. I mention them because: 1. the 14-17SEP09 Intel board was the first board to "refer" some candidates to the IW and IP communities for consideration (which happened at this board), and 2. this is the first-ever joint IDC board, so I figure anything is possible.

Obviously our recruiters are busy folks and also have other things to do, but I would guess that most folks who had packages at this board could know by sometime tomorrow barring anything unforeseen happening.

Best of luck to everyone!

das

Contributor
No problem. We're all the type that is thirsty for information!

The thing to remember is that these boards are extremely competitive; many who have applied have tried more than once. Just stay focused on the goal if this is something you really want...

FM63

Hi das,

I may have been one of those lurkers. Thanks so much for all of your info. This is my rookie attempt at Intel. I heard from my recruiter earlier this week that there was close to 200 applicants and she too is saying the competition will be fierce with maybe only 5 Intel slots filled?!

As for my stats I hope that I have a good chance. My biggest concern is that I'm only 31 and NPS. But I got on my ASTB 7/8/7/62.

Education:
BA with honors in History minor Poli-Sci 3.6
I graduate this June with a MA in Latin American Studies 3.8 and a Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security Management.
Member of National History, National Poli-Sci, and National Hispanic Honor Society.

Work:
Currently in 2 year Internship at DIA.
TA for a year before DIA internship.
An additional 5 years of Managerial and Supervisory experience.

LOR and Interviews:
O-6 (Army retired), O-5 (Air Force), Professor (former CIA), DIA internship supervisor.

Interviewed with 2 O-5 and an O-4, received excellent to outstanding.
RIPO endorsement.

Extra Curricular:
Physically fit and active in Sports and sailing.
Active in local chapters of Honor Societies and youth outreach and mentoring through the University.
Multilingual: Spanish, Portuguese, with some Carib French, & Creole.
No Arrests.

Plus, not that it would have much bearing, I come from a Military Family and married into one: Uncle O-3 Navy, Granddad retired O-2 Army (he was a mustang and all of his brothers were either Army or Navy during WWII and Korea), Brother in Law E-6 Air Force Active, Sister in Law O-1 Army Nurse Active, Father in Law E-5 Army, and wife's Grand Pappy E-8 Navy retired.

I really hope to get in as is my Uncle who is one of the big reason for my push for the Navy.

Good luck everyone and hope to see you fleet side!