• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1st Class Cruises...Where are you going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau

zab1001 said:
jai, I know where you are coming from, I was a college programmer guy as well. The point is, CORTRAMID and 2nd class cruise aren't seen as necessary to get commissioned. You'll interact with and be treated as a junior officer. Honestly, it isn't that intense, but you will get a taste of what the ins and outs of being a J.O. is like. That's the primary goal of the cruise. Good luck.

You will either do alot or almost nothing your entire crusie depending on some factors...a. how the ship/squadron wants to use you if at all....b. how much you are proactive and seek out things to learn.

It all depends really....most of my cruises were spent in my rack, at the beach, out on the town, and in the sim building (on my own accord). I would say that most of the time the squadrons/ships see you more of a hinderance/liability than help or a student. That was my experiance anyway. Almost nothing was expected of us execpt a couple of watches to stand...even then someone else who was qualified had to stand the watch next to you anyway so it was not like you had responibility anyway.

All I can say is dont be a total **** bag and do nothing, but dont be that guy who pisses all of the people off on the ship because you are trying to get a quals...or bug everyone asking dumb questions....they dont care, they have a job to do...they dont want to get in the way most of the time.

The Frat. issue is a funny one to me. Hell yes it happens all the friggin time....I've seen it all...MID sacks O, O sacks MID, MID sacks Sailor, Sailer sacks MID....and heard about O's and Sailors...non that i knew persaonlly. Its wrong but you really can not stop it...IMHO....the more you say its wrong the more some people will want to do it.

BadBobJr.

Auburn Aviation Hopeful
I'm headed out to Lemoore, CA for a first phase AA cruise. anybody else headed out there? this is my first cruise (CP for two years), so it'd be cool to know some people before i get out there.

also, if you still have an option to choose, Lemoore is the Strike/Fighter base of the west coast. a buddy of mine went a few years ago and got 4 hops in an f/a-18. its worth checking into.

red_stang65

pilot
I've got a buddy here from USD headed out to LeMoore. I'm sure you two will run into each other. Good luck on getting the jet hops...

Just got off the phone with the LT.

**Cruise Change**

Apparently all the billets at Tinker AFB were dropped.

Instead of E-6B's I'll be cruising with HS-2 out of North Island.

I'm stoked to be heading to California for a month! :icon_smil

jai5w4

red_stang65 said:
Found I'm going to Norfolk with a HELTAC squadron during 2nd phase.

What is a HELTAC squadron?

Actually...the more I think about it...that's probably just the name of the whole group of helo's out there. Tac is for tactical, hel is for helicopter...Tactical Helicopter. Similar to TACCOM Wing 1...Tactical Communications Wing...where I was going to be going for cruise. This is comprised of both VQ-3 and 4 as well as VQ-7 operating the E-6B's and 737's (i believe).

So in other words they know you are going to the East Coast for your cruise and that you will be with helo's, but which squadron you get assigned to will be determined later. That's what I can figure from this, anyway.

jai5w4 ;)

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
red_stang65 said:
Found I'm going to Norfolk with a HELTAC squadron during 2nd phase.

What is a HELTAC squadron?
If I remember correctly, it will be an HC (now HSC) sqd. Not an HC bubba though, so I could be wrong.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
jai5w4 said:
Actually...the more I think about it...that's probably just the name of the whole group of helo's out there. Tac is for tactical, hel is for helicopter...Tactical Helicopter. Similar to TACCOM Wing 1...Tactical Communications Wing...where I was going to be going for cruise. This is comprised of both VQ-3 and 4 as well as VQ-7 operating the E-6B's and 737's (i believe).

not to quibble... but I'll do it anyway. It's Strategic Communications Wing ONE. There is no Tactical Communications Wing. VQ-3 is west coast ops, VQ-4 is east coast ops. VQ-7 is the RAG/FRS/whatever.

HELTAC Wings are HCs, soon to be HSCs. - used to fly the 46, now the 60S, along with one squadron of 53s, if I recall correctly. Blah blah blah.

Thus endeth the lesson.

squorch2 said:
not to quibble... but I'll do it anyway. It's Strategic Communications Wing ONE. There is no Tactical Communications Wing. VQ-3 is west coast ops, VQ-4 is east coast ops. VQ-7 is the RAG/FRS/whatever.

HELTAC Wings are HCs, soon to be HSCs. - used to fly the 46, now the 60S, along with one squadron of 53s, if I recall correctly. Blah blah blah.

Thus endeth the lesson.

I meant to say STRATCOM Wing 1...danget!! Thanks for catching my slip.

John

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Question
Im going on my 1st class cruise this summer and i know it will be 2nd phase/surface. The only thing is I havent got any news on where im going. Just wondering who out there is doing there surface 2nd phase and know/dont know where they are going. At the end of this month im going to start calling and asking whats up. Thanks

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I just found out I'm heading for HC-3, second phase.

I've never been to San Diego before so I'm pretty psyched. Everyone says its great out there. Anyone have any reccomendations on things to see, bars to hit, etc?

Also... Less than half an hour after finding out where my cruise was, I was told that it would be "a poor decision" to go to Tijuana for any reason whatsoever. I'm sure its frowned upon, but is heading south going to be an explicit "NO" or is it a "no... don't get caught"?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
An explicit no. Dont bother there is plenty to do in San Diego without worrying about ruining your career (before it starts) or getting stabbed. There is a reason they dont let you go to TJ.
I promise if you hit PB you will get all you need

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Also, don't be that dude who gets busted by the cops for not paying for a trolley ticket... bad things can happen from that to so pay whatever it is to ride.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pennst8 said:
I just found out I'm heading for HC-3, second phase.

I've never been to San Diego before so I'm pretty psyched. Everyone says its great out there. Anyone have any reccomendations on things to see, bars to hit, etc?

Also... Less than half an hour after finding out where my cruise was, I was told that it would be "a poor decision" to go to Tijuana for any reason whatsoever. I'm sure its frowned upon, but is heading south going to be an explicit "NO" or is it a "no... don't get caught"?
Go to PB Bar and Grille for the beach crowd, or Jimmy Love's downtown which is a little more upscale. PM me for more details if required.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.