• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1st Class Cruises...Where are you going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard yet, but it should be sometime this week. Let me know where you guys are heading on your 1st class cruises.

John :icon_smil

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Not that anyone is going to do this, but please remember, please do not post dates or ships names. While it is only a midshipman cruise the dates are still part of the ship's deployment and there is no need to post when a certain ship will be where to pick you up.

Other than that, all you guys have a good time, I loved my 1/C cruise.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If any of you get San Diego Aviation Ashore..... yeah that's a gooooood time. That's what my 1/C cruise was ;)

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Fly Navy said:
If any of you get San Diego Aviation Ashore..... yeah that's a gooooood time. That's what my 1/C cruise was ;)

Yes, I agree. San Diego AA was awesome....and not because I'm originally from there :D . hehehe. I recommend the In-n-out double double, animal style. It will be the culmination of your being.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
My cruise is a FOREX with Japan. I am the only one at my unit that has found out so far, but that is because I requested a unique cruise. Still waiting to hear on dates, but I'm headed for the Far East!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NozeMan said:
My cruise is a FOREX with Japan. I am the only one at my unit that has found out so far, but that is because I requested a unique cruise. Still waiting to hear on dates, but I'm headed for the Far East!
Japan is awesome, especially in the summer, although it can get a little hot/humid. There is a ton of day trip type stuff you can do via trains. The Os there should hook you up nicely. Enjoy!

Brett

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
NozeMan said:

I took that cruise my 1/C summer. AWESOME!!! The Japanese Navy will show you a great time, and treat you like you've never been treated. Very nice people, and they will try (I said try) to get you wasted every opportunity you allow. I suggest taking advantage of that. And don't worry about free time, they keep you pretty busy and they'll (Japanese Mids) show you around when you have free time. That was easily my greatest cruise as a Mid. It's the reason I want my first duty station to be Japan.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
O.K. .... that's it!!! I'm jumping in here now .... especially since Brett posted something --- and we know he ain't goin' on 1st Class "Middie cruise" anytime soon. :)) ... and XOXOXOXO for Brett)

One of my 1st Class NROTC "buds" got the 7th Fleet --- destroyers. No problem-o .... except that shortly after he got there --- "they" (either the USS Borie or the USS Epperson -- can't remember) got a hurry-up call to go to the ...... (***drum roll***) ..... GUNLINE :eek: ...... off Vietnam. No time to off-load the 2-3 Middies aboard. I think he did both South and North --- got some shootin' time and got a couple of ribbons as well. And as a Mid ..... supposedly, it will not happen.

Yours truly??? I got the so-called "plum" cruise ... a "MED" cruise (not as in "medical") aboard an LSD(ock) with the 6th Fleet. The only problem with my cruise (and it was very sweet, overall---;) ) was with the GATOR NAVY -- not the pretty, admiral-heavy 6th Fleet bluewater "face" Navy. Oh, yeah, another problem was the F'in' Ruskies chose that summer to roll over Czechoslovakia !!!! General Quarters ... !!!!!

kavala.jpg
LSD36_ANCHORAGE.JPG
lcm610ly.gif

We pulled the chocks from a landing-EX we were doing up in Kavala, Greece (I actually got to "lead" a wave of 8 "Mike" boats into the beach --- muy machismo for a Middie --- with a CPO watching closely ... ;) ) ... and headed for Izmir, Turkey. I'm not sure why, they didn't ask me. Personally, I would have stayed with the locals in Kavala -- I had met my Greek version of the Girl from Ipanema .....( :) smiles just won't do it here .... sorry :) .)

Anyway ...... we made a night transit across the Aegean to be really sneaky --- only glitch was that the Rooskies knew where we were and sent a 6-8 boat squadron of Komars spitting out of the mouth of the Dardanelles (Aegean side ...edit: I originally said "Bosphorus" --incorrect -- there goes my short-term 37-year memory) with the intent of giving us some major league harrassment. They had been operating somewhere around there with a tender -- intel thought to "monitor" our landing as we were the major amphib force for the Med. -- with the Russians then intent on becoming a real presence in the "Middle Sea".

solidshield1972a1ue.jpg

Remember, this was not the pretty "face" Navy -- it was the Gators -- with no "big guns" and no air support. Crazy IVAN started blowing through our formation of 6 ships @ 0100 and the Commodore didn't like that ---- so he rang up "GQ" .... that's not Gentleman's Quarterly. As we Middies had been assigned to crew on one of the 40mm Quads --- that was our battle station. We manned up, turned the big, old searchlights on the bad guys, loaded & locked, fired starshells and flare rounds, pointed barrels --basically trying to look really big and mean. The Czech invasion had put everyone on alert and this was a major Cold War malfunction between East & West. The result? IVAN decided his Borsch was cold and retreated back to the NE in the general direction of the Strait ---- never mind their original intent of "intimidating" us. BTW, we didn't get any ribbons for that one.

Have a great 1st class Midshipman cruise, little brothers. You will acquire some memories that will last a lifetime. Maybe you'll find your Girl from Ipanema .... (sorry ladies ... there's just not any "Boys" from Ipanema -- check the song )

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Brett327 said:
Japan is awesome, especially in the summer, although it can get a little hot/humid. There is a ton of day trip type stuff you can do via trains. The Os there should hook you up nicely. Enjoy!

Brett

Yea...the weather sucked on some days. I remember one time it was raining and 90F at the sametime. So I was literally sweating along with the rain soaking me. Not a good feeling. Also, make sure your rack isnt too dirty. I got pink eye my 2nd week and that sucked. Ppl began to think I was smoking the gone-gee if ya know wut i mean. And yes, the japs will do their best to F-you up so watch out. Saki....whew.....that snake in the jar nearly knocked me over! :eek:

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
flashypants said:
I took that cruise my 1/C summer. AWESOME!!! The Japanese Navy will show you a great time, and treat you like you've never been treated. Very nice people, and they will try (I said try) to get you wasted every opportunity you allow. I suggest taking advantage of that. And don't worry about free time, they keep you pretty busy and they'll (Japanese Mids) show you around when you have free time. That was easily my greatest cruise as a Mid. It's the reason I want my first duty station to be Japan.

Can you give me some details as to how the FOREX is run? I've been told that its quite structured in regards to activities and ships etc. Any insight? I'm dying for dates too...but not sure if thats a good idea on here...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
1st Class Cruise memories

Stardate: June 1985

USS Capodanno (FF-1093)

First Wardroom mess bill: 90 dollars

New set of wash Kahki's: 20 dollars

Polished steel toe boon dockers: 15 dollars at the Navy Uniform shop

Realizing that ROTC has taught you didly squat about leading Bo'sun Mates... PRICELESS!!!

dodcapomed031288.jpg

WannaBEaP3gal

My cruise was awesome last summer. Went to Oceana, f-14s, I didn't even get to fly in one due to a previous incident banning backseat rides (something about some O-6 getting a backseat ride and ejecting on "accident"), but I still had a blast. We'd get in around 10am, do the daily crossword, make fun of our MIDN coordinator to all the other LTs, walk around the place, and then go to the O club for a bit. On weekends we'd hang out w/ LTs and have fun at the beach... freakin awesome. Have fun, cause you'll need those positive memories to get you through some of the bull#$*t flight school has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.