• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

15 May 2017 SWO Board

GuamLife1

Just from your experience what would be a realistic time frame that the selectees of this board would be attending OCS. Ball park?
Also, is there a time delay to be sent to OCS for active enlisted? Other than what your CO may or may not have specified. ( My CO put "world wide deployable anytime") Just wondering strictly speaking from a "budget perspective and manning" (if there really is one in the Navy)- V/R
@RUFiO181 @NavyOffRec

PBCA

OAR - 50 GPA - 3.17 (UC Davis)
Checking in.

Applying for SWO, Supply (non-prior)

UC Davis
B.A. Political Science: Public Service
Minor - History
GPA: 3.3 (2 years Juco + 2 years UCD)
OAR: 50

PBCA

OAR - 50 GPA - 3.17 (UC Davis)
Not sure if this is the best thread for asking this, but I haven't been able to find a semi-current thread using the search function. If anyone knows of a better thread please feel free to point me in the correct direction.

How much does the selection board weigh your JUCO grades vs. your 4 year institution grades? Do they weigh them equally against each other? My grades at JUCO were significantly better than my grades once I transferred. It seems unfair that the selection board would completely ignore lower-division grades just because they were done at a "lesser" institution, but then again when is life ever fair?

Thanks!

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Not sure if this is the best thread for asking this, but I haven't been able to find a semi-current thread using the search function. If anyone knows of a better thread please feel free to point me in the correct direction.

How much does the selection board weigh your JUCO grades vs. your 4 year institution grades? Do they weigh them equally against each other? My grades at JUCO were significantly better than my grades once I transferred. It seems unfair that the selection board would completely ignore lower-division grades just because they were done at a "lesser" institution, but then again when is life ever fair?

Thanks!

I started at a community college, did horrible, transferred, and did stellar. The GPA is cumulative and calculated adding up all attempted credits (at all colleges) divided credits actually earned (or some formula to that effect, NavyOffRec has mentioned it before). I haven't ever heard that they only care about one institution over another.

Ronin88

So, I was contacted today by a Mr. Williams about a few corrections that needed to be made to my package by end of business today and thanks to my chain of command we were able to complete all of the required tasks. However Mr. Williams informed my CO and I that my package will not be considered for SWO if it is not my number one choice. This seems pretty aggressive to me and does not match what has historically been true so I left my package as CW as my number one and SWO as my number two. I will admit it has me a little worried though. However he did say that the navy needed SWO for this cycle so it sounds like they are going to select even people than normal.

Another weird thing they had me submit an age waiver even though I am only 28. I understand that by the time I commission I may be 29 but that is still within the required age range even if just barely.

Any thoughts on these anyone?

OfficerHopeful

So, I was contacted today by a Mr. Williams about a few corrections that needed to be made to my package by end of business today and thanks to my chain of command we were able to complete all of the required tasks. However Mr. Williams informed my CO and I that my package will not be considered for SWO if it is not my number one choice. This seems pretty aggressive to me and does not match what has historically been true so I left my package as CW as my number one and SWO as my number two. I will admit it has me a little worried though. However he did say that the navy needed SWO for this cycle so it sounds like they are going to select even people than normal.

Another weird thing they had me submit an age waiver even though I am only 28. I understand that by the time I commission I may be 29 but that is still within the required age range even if just barely.

The age waiver is for anytime past 29th birthday. If you just want to go officer, going SWO first is fine and you can lat transfer after a couple of years, that is my plan into IP.

What date did you actually submit your application? I sent mine in on Friday, had to wait for AF medical to make heads and tails of Navy processes.

exNavyOffRec

If they believe that you won't be able to go to OCS and grad by age 29 you will be doing a waiver.

NRC used to allow SWO to be 1-5, then 1 or 2, so it is possible they have decided only those that place it 1 will go to board, pretty much anyone that doesn't put Supply or IWC number 1 doesn't get picked up by those designators.

Ronin88

The age waiver is for anytime past 29th birthday. If you just want to go officer, going SWO first is fine and you can lat transfer after a couple of years, that is my plan into IP.

What date did you actually submit your application? I sent mine in on Friday, had to wait for AF medical to make heads and tails of Navy processes.
I submitted my package on thursday and heard back today after I emaled to confirm they had recieved it. I should be good now I made te corrections they asked for and sent in the age waiver so we will see how it goes.

Ronin88

If they believe that you won't be able to go to OCS and grad by age 29 you will be doing a waiver.

NRC used to allow SWO to be 1-5, then 1 or 2, so it is possible they have decided only those that place it 1 will go to board, pretty much anyone that doesn't put Supply or IWC number 1 doesn't get picked up by those designators.
I hope that is not the case I would really like to be considered for both CW and SWO. They would be losing a lot of excellent candidates if they don't allow people to put SWO as their number 2. I guess we will see how it goes, but I did submit the age waiver and everything else they asked for in time so fingers crossed.

exNavyOffRec

I hope that is not the case I would really like to be considered for both CW and SWO. They would be losing a lot of excellent candidates if they don't allow people to put SWO as their number 2. I guess we will see how it goes, but I did submit the age waiver and everything else they asked for in time so fingers crossed.

That is how I used to view it, until a Captain said to me "for every excellent candidate you lose there is another one right behind him waiting to take his place"

The hard life fact is you are just a number (application) no more no less, they have to take the human factor out and just look at the stats. I really didn't get that until I started doing hiring and firing on the civilian side, and yes sometimes it sucks when you can't hire the person you think is really nice because they just don't meet the qualifications or have to fire someone because you know it will be a hardship on them but they just are meeting the requirements.

SeaReaver

If the USG shuts down on 4/28, will that affect this board and when it is held?
From what I have read on the subject we shouldn't worry about it. They'll either push the board back (what a surprise!), or Congress will pull something out of its collective ass to keep funding the government until a compromise can be reached; thus pushing the whole fiasco 3 or so months down the road until it's not really our problem anymore. Anyhow, that is my understanding of the situation. Anyone feel free to debunk me if I'm wrong.