• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

15 May 2017 SWO Board

SeaReaver

I think its more because our classes were STEM courses and not business and sociology
My classes were not graded on a curve, but taking advanced calculus and fluid dynamics I think is very different from taking non-stem courses. So yes, I have a lower GPA and a higher OAR. Hopefully it all evens out in the end.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment, no need to get defensive.

STEM definitely helps since it is much easier to study up on reading comprehension and the figures of speech than to relearn all of algebra, geometry, calculus, and physics.

At my university most of the hard science classes were graded on a curve, so I wrongly assumed that was the case everywhere. If my assumption had been correct that would have helped to explain why the subjects with the highest OAR tended to have lower GPAs on my spreadsheet. However, as NavyOffRec pointed out, the trend seems to be that GPA and OAR have a positive correlation, so the outcome is most likely a fluke.

Last edited:

jwm90

Coffee > Sleep
Yea, that's the option I will evaluate once responses from my two boards come back this go around if need be. These are my first boards so I have no idea how it will measure up. We shall see. I just do not test well in mathematics so that's where my OAR suffered, I even went through about a month straight of 4 hours a day on Khan Academy. The struggle haha. No idea how I managed an average of 98 in all my math classes before graduating. Sheer will maybe? :p

My college didn't grade on a curve either, just for the record. I haven't heard of any doing so around where I attended college in Virginia.

Mason?

DJohnS

Hi all,

I put in my app for this May board. My recruiter just contacted me requesting that I get the records for a criminal incident from when I was a minor. I have one criminal incident, it is an MIP (minor in possession) of alcohol when I was a teenager. It happened when I was a minor and 5 or more years ago so it is sealed from my record. I cannot obtain these records from the court. My recruiter even had me bring a form to the courthouse and they wrote on it that they cannot release any documents because my record is sealed, and had the chief deputy clerk sign and stamp it.

My questions are as follows:

Since my recruiter is requesting more documents from me, does that mean my application has been pulled from this board?

What am I supposed to do in regards to obtaining my juvenile arrest documents, since they are seemingly unobtainable?

Any thoughts or replies would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Vicky_Marie926

Hi all,

I put in my app for this May board. My recruiter just contacted me requesting that I get the records for a criminal incident from when I was a minor. I have one criminal incident, it is an MIP (minor in possession) of alcohol when I was a teenager. It happened when I was a minor and 5 or more years ago so it is sealed from my record. I cannot obtain these records from the court. My recruiter even had me bring a form to the courthouse and they wrote on it that they cannot release any documents because my record is sealed, and had the chief deputy clerk sign and stamp it.

Since my recruiter is requesting more documents from me, does that mean my application has been pulled from this board?

What am I supposed to do in regards to obtaining my juvenile arrest documents, since they are seemingly unobtainable?

Thank you!

If I had to guess, from my experience recruiting on the enlisted side, you are going to have to find a way to produce some type of documents that provide a detailed description of what happened. Have you tried going directly to the arresting agency (i.e. the police department that charged or cited you)???

You may have been charged with a MIP but the arresting report may IMPLY a lot more....That's why the Navy needs to see something in writing from an official agency. They can't just go off of your word....I recently had a guy in a very similar situation and was told that if he couldn't provide some type of official paperwork, the Navy couldn't process his waiver and he would not be able to join.

So, if you need a civil waiver (I am assuming) but do not have the necessary documents to complete one then I'd have to imagine your application is going to be pulled from the board. I'm sure your recruiter is trying to avoid that from happening.

I know its tough and it may seem nearly impossible to obtain the necessary documents, but there has to be a way. Keep trying!

Last edited:

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Linking in to what Vicky_Marie926 said, I know that departments have the paperwork for arrests/incidents for a rather long time. There are usually always narratives/supplements (reports) written by involved officers for each incident. You may contact the department and request the records division and they may be able to find the file of your incident. If not, they can usually tell you the responsible officer and you can get his or her contact information and reach out to them for their notes on the incident and that may be adequate.
Otherwise, your recruiter should be able to reach out to the waiver authority that is demanding more information and get specifics on what they are looking for (my recruiter had to do this with my dyspepsia stuff for my waiver).

exNavyOffRec

Hi all,

Thank you!

"sealed" is a misleading term, it just means it can't be seen by civilian employers on record checks and a few other cases, but when it comes to the federal gov't nothing is ever sealed, and the individual that was the one that committed the crime can pull the records. I pulled many records on people who had "sealed" juvenile records and never had an issue. The only time I got away without getting the records was when we had a signed letter from the records department saying that the records were destroyed/missing, and in that case we ended up getting the original citation from the arresting agency.

If they are asking for these I am guessing that your application has been held up, but it really depends on who is asking.

FYI, I now work for a civilian company but we have federal gov't oversight so our background checks are federal so all is seen, we had a guy that had a "sealed" juvenile record from 20+ years ago and he was able to get all the documents, it was either that or no job for him.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is your application held up? To piggyback @NavyOffRec it truly depends. Your officer recruiter should have completed a DD-369 Police Record Check form with you and conducted it himself, not through you. Many times, I give the form to the enlisted recruiters because they run PRCs ALL the time with their applicants and know exactly how to get the right court documents. Even when applicants say they have all the court/legal documents I still run the record check with the courthouse/county registrar office.

As for the MIP, I don't believe a waiver is required, but it could be either the officer processor or even recruiter asking to verify. There's been a few times when I've dealt with applicants of questionable character and even if they had a crime not requiring a waiver I still ran the PRC just to double check.

DJohnS

Thank you all for your awesome thoughts and feedback.

My recruiter and I did fill out the PRC and then he gave it to me to bring to the courthouse. They wrote on it saying that they cannot release any documents to anyone, whether it be to the federal government, me, any civilian agencies, or otherwise. My recruiter gave the PRC to me because he tried contacting the courthouse himself and they would not even acknowledge that I had any record with them.

All in all, the documents that I produced for my application in regards to the MIP of alcohol was the PRC that the Courthouse Chief Deputy Clerk filled out and signed, a personal statement detailing my account of the incident, and my driving record that shows the MIP of alcohol and the program I utilized to receive lesser consequences. I thought all of these documents would suffice.. but I guess not.

I have done all that I can in regards to obtaining the records through the courthouse, but I have not yet tried obtaining them through the actual police department. I will give this a go.

Again, thank you all so much.

exNavyOffRec

well, they are wrong a court cannot withhold documents from a federal agency, and them being wrong could hinder you getting into the USN or even some types of civilian federal jobs

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Have your OR give the PRC to the enlisted recruiter/station that covers the area. They run PRCs all the time and typically have a good working relationship with the clerks and whatnot.

DJohnS

My application ended up being pulled from the May board because I need some more documents. My recruiter said that I can resubmit it next board, that being the June board. So I'm assuming it's a separate one? I'm unsure though. Sorry I can't be of more help. You might try searching for SWO board dates if you haven't already.

kshimmy1

I am being told by my recruiter this board was pushed out to June 26th. Has anyone else heard this?
My recruiter informed me a couple of days ago that my name was listed on the May board. I have no reason to think they would move it a week before the board is held.