• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

15 Aug 18 Pilot/NFO board

beck_mac

What was your GPA if you don't mind me asking? Why not apply for a different Officer slot?
It's 2.8, which I understand is low and makes me less competitive. When I started the process my OR told me the only slots I could apply for with that GPA were NFO and SNA. I'm not sure of the specific qualifications you need for each one, but he told me my GPA locked me out of applying for anything else. Aviation is supposed to be more interested in ASTB scores than GPA, he said, but seems like that was not completely the case ):

hyde23

Are you in extremely good shape? The Marines might be a good option if you can get a really great PFT score to overcome the lower GPA. The Navy unfortunately doesn't give you the option to make up for lower academic scores with PT scores.

Lukess

Couple dudes with lower GPA and scores that picked up slots. There are also a handful that have amazing scores with good GPA that didn’t pick up. I would retest, spit shine your statement and reapply if I were you. I’ve been following this forum for a while and quite a good number get their Prorec Y on their 2nd or 3rd board.

For the doubts over the motivational statement, from anecdotal evidence, I believe this does now account for something, especially as it is not too hard to get higher scores with multiple attempts. In the case of my application I had 5 solid LORs ready to go, one from a former O-3 who was my boss. For some reason, I believe only one LOR went through due to some formatting issues, not sure if the better ones went in, but my OR and I submitted anyways. I was not concerned at the time based on the premise "GPA and ASTB" is all that counts, which still might be true for the most part. Regardless, whether you are an auto-select or not, it is always wise to sweep the corners, and my applicant remarks and motivational statement were robust. The statement needs to answer Why Navy?, Why Naval Officer?, and Why Naval Aviator? As opposed to just talking about passion (who doesn't want to be a fighter pilot...), point to anecdotes in your past work/school/sports/hobby experience and parlay them into a compelling narrative. The cognitive dissonance lies in trying to convey personality and character traits that sometimes oppose each other. Convey that fact that you are a hard charging, independent, competent self-starter, but can also collaboratively take one for the team. You are the leader/quarterback, and you are the nurturer/coach (we may end up being instructor pilots who long for the carrier combat days). Strike a balance between officer traits and aviator traits, slightly leaning to the latter. Hope this helps, don't give up.

Here is a good article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/11/...garious-loners-who-take-risks-cautiously.html

nvandvore

Spreadsheet got locked because some other users were randomly deleting and changing info. I need to sweep through the thread and make those updates.

Not sure if you’re talking about me but I tried to delete my info because I didn’t get a medical clearance letter in time. Turns out I didn’t need it. Hindsight’s 20/20 I guess.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Not sure if you’re talking about me but I tried to delete my info because I didn’t get a medical clearance letter in time. Turns out I didn’t need it. Hindsight’s 20/20 I guess.
No, someone(s) was deleting entire rows and changing scores for multiple users.