• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 14Feb22 INTEL Board

exNavyOffRec

Amazing news! Third time's a charm!
Please do not give up hope. It was very difficult when I was passed up twice but persistence is key and keep praying.
The boards don't care about persistence it is about "best qualified", unless you mean continuing to improve yourself and your application, in that case yes. There have been too many people told if you keep applying the board will see you really want this and select you, that isn't a thing.

The boards don't care about persistence it is about "best qualified", unless you mean continuing to improve yourself and your application, in that case yes. There have been too many people told if you keep applying the board will see you really want this and select you, that isn't a thing.

Sure, but sometimes well-qualified applicants get passed up because there just aren't enough slots for everyone that go around. The board isn't going to accept an unqualified candidate just because they were persistent in applying, but if you are competitive and just on the bubble of making it, it is worth it to be persistent as it is partially a numbers game at that point.

ctiyn

yes of course, self improvement is very important! I'm just very grateful and can't stop cheezing! I had so much support from mentors, family and friends.

exNavyOffRec

Sure, but sometimes well-qualified applicants get passed up because there just aren't enough slots for everyone that go around. The board isn't going to accept an unqualified candidate just because they were persistent in applying, but if you are competitive and just on the bubble of making it, it is worth it to be persistent as it is partially a numbers game at that point.
Sometimes a person does get lucky, but what tends to happen is those really great applicants get picked, and then more really great applicants apply. That is why the average GPA continues to be about 3.5 over time.

If a person is pretty good and is right on the bubble that person may get lucky on the next board, but historically that is the rare exception, a person has the best chance of selection on the first board they are seen and then it keeps getting lower, this is with no improvements in the application. This is why improvements are important, even if small.

Repeated submissions can result in a DNR if the board feels like the person just doesn't have a chance.

KJJASlaughter1128

Is it a safe assumption that if we have not received word that we were most likely non-selected? I'm active duty, so I'm not sure if the notification process might just be that much more convoluted than non-active duty.

ctiyn

Is it a safe assumption that if we have not received word that we were most likely non-selected? I'm active duty, so I'm not sure if the notification process might just be that much more convoluted than non-active duty.
that is not necessarily true. your CoC might not have seen the email. The BOL update is scheduled to show on Wednesday so check your BOL after WED... although just to let you know last time when I didn't make it, my BOL did not have any updates haha.. so if that is the case, ask your CCC.

KJJASlaughter1128

that is not necessarily true. your CoC might not have seen the email. The BOL update is scheduled to show on Wednesday so check your BOL after WED... although just to let you know last time when I didn't make it, my BOL did not have any updates haha.. so if that is the case, ask your CCC.
Understood; I was able to find out my results. Thank you

ctiyn

Does anyone know for sure how to go about resubmitting for reconsideration and the newest revision for that instruction?
For mine, I wrote a cover letter detailing all the improvements I made from last package with enclosures.
The enclosure includes page 1, 9 and 10 (CO's recommendation) of OPNAV 1420/1 (OCS Application) in addition to your improvements such as leadership development, courses you took, EVALs, physical improvements, improved test scores, etc.
You also need to include your last OCS package, medical PQ letter, and SF-86.

KJJASlaughter1128

For mine, I wrote a cover letter detailing all the improvements I made from last package with enclosures.
The enclosure includes page 1, 9 and 10 (CO's recommendation) of OPNAV 1420/1 (OCS Application) in addition to your improvements such as leadership development, courses you took, EVALs, physical improvements, improved test scores, etc.
You also need to include your last OCS package, medical PQ letter, and SF-86.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I've been speaking to a Mr. Celestin from COMNAVCRUITCOM, and he mentioned a specific instruction for application reconsideration submissions. Is there such an instruction, and, if so, what is it??

ctiyn

Awesome, thanks for the info! I've been speaking to a Mr. Celestin from COMNAVCRUITCOM, and he mentioned a specific instruction for application reconsideration submissions. Is there such an instruction, and, if so, what is it??
There is no specific directive like OCS RECON INSTRUCTION document... my OCS Coordinator told me what I just told you earlier, and that's how I resubmitted it. I can send you my copy via DM so you can see my sample. have you talked to your OCS Coordinator in your command?

There is a portion on the OPNAV 1420.1 INST Ch.4 Para 10. on Recon package and it states:
10. Reconsiderations
a. Applicants that are non-selected are able to ask for
reconsideration of their application if they are within 6 months
of the original non-selection. The following information must be
provided to COMNAVCRUITCOM:
(1) Applicant’s statement requesting reconsideration and
an overview of additional information provided in the
reconsideration package.
(2) Any additional information for the board to consider
(i.e., evaluations, PRT scores, officer interviews, etc.)
(3) CO’s endorsement on the reconsideration package.
(4) Applicants or command career counselors should submit
reconsideration packages via one method outlined in paragraph 6
of this chapter.
b. A new application must be completed if the original nonselection
occurred over 6 months previously.

Last edited:

RhodesReese

The instruction Mr. Celestin was refering to was 1420.1b page 4-12.

10. Reconsiderations
a. Applicants that are non-selected are able to ask for reconsideration of their application if they are within 6 months of the original non-selection. The following information must be provided to COMNAVCRUITCOM:

OPNAVINST 1420.1B 14 DEC 09 4-13

Enclosure (1)
(1) Applicant’s statement requesting reconsideration and an overview of additional information provided in the reconsideration package.

(2) Any additional information for the board to consider (i.e., evaluations, PRT scores, officer interviews, etc.)

(3) CO’s endorsement on the reconsideration package.

(4) Applicants or command career counselors should submit reconsideration packages via one method outlined in paragraph 6 of this chapter. b. A new application must be completed if the original nonselection occurred over 6 months previously.

Then use what @ctiyn recommended up to help meet the above requirements.

exNavyOffRec

Something to consider before resubmitting is you should make some significant improvements, if you don't have a Master's maybe start taking some classes, that can help boost your GPA a little bit if it is low but it can also show you are trying to continue to grow.

Got picked up! For both of my choices on my first go-around. Just wanna say thank you guys. @RhodesReese @exNavyOffRec I appreciate you guys so much. The entire process was hectic and while I had mentors, my situation was different than theirs, but you guys' guidance definitely kept me ahead of the curve so I just wanted to say I appreciate you guys.

Side note, to ANY active duty folks applying that don't have clear guidance or have waivers or whatever, but desire to commission, feel free to reach out to me any time.

RhodesReese

Got picked up! For both of my choices on my first go-around. Just wanna say thank you guys. @RhodesReese @exNavyOffRec I appreciate you guys so much. The entire process was hectic and while I had mentors, my situation was different than theirs, but you guys' guidance definitely kept me ahead of the curve so I just wanted to say I appreciate you guys.

Side note, to ANY active duty folks applying that don't have clear guidance or have waivers or whatever, but desire to commission, feel free to reach out to me any time.
Congratulations. Glad i could help answer any questions or ease some of the anxiety. What community did you end up deciding upon?