• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 13 Jun 2016 IWC Board

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi everyone,

Congratulations to everyone that made it!
I was pro rec N for June. This was my first time applying so I'm going to keep trying. I'm currently enlisted, and I think my biggest weak spot is the fact that I am not in the Intel community. I managed to get a LOR from an intel O6 and a couple of interviews from intel LT's and CDR's among others but I guess it wasn't enough. Does anybody have any advice for me to get some experience in the community? Anything is appreciated.

My stats:
2nd class petty officer, enlisted 6 years
Evals: from most recent: EP, EP transfer, MP, EP frocking, EP

Education: AA in counter terrorism studies, BA in international relations (GPA of 3.4), currently 9 credits completed towards MS in intelligence management (4.0 GPA so far)

OAR: 48

LOR's: intel O6, SEAL O6/commodore, seabee O6, and 2 seabee O3's I directly worked for

Interviews: intel O5, intel O3, supply O5, SWO O5

*I have already scheduled two more interviews with intel O5's. I am going to adjust my essay, too, and look on Navy Cool to see if I can take an IS course or something.

Is your overall goal is to be Intel or an officer? If the answer is the latter might I recommend SWO and PILOT/NFO options.

Seabee_89

My goal is to be an intel officer. I would have chosen IS as my rate when I joined but I was a British citizen at the time and therefore was not eligible for a clearance. I am a US citizen now with a secret clearance. I thought about putting in for SWO and then doing a lateral transfer after my obliserv but I am not sure if that is the best option.

You are correct. I emailed Mr. Celestin couple weeks ago and there is no such option anymore.

Thank you NavyOffRec and Intel101 for the information, just did the search and can confirm that RUFIO posted that SWO-Intel is no more just about a month ago. I'd agree that my recruiter was just trying to tell me that the application missed the board, except as far as I know this application was only for SWO-Intel so I'm slightly concerned that there is something weirder going on with it. I'll call him tomorrow and work out with him what I have/can apply for next time around. Thank you both again.

Pro Rec "Y" for Intel! Got the call from my CO on Wednesday, so I figure now is the time to obsessively comb through these boards until I hear more details.

Just checked in with my recruiter. Program authorization still exists for SWO-Intel, they just haven't selected anyone, likely in years. That lines up with what I heard when I called NRC to check what SWO options still existed back in April for OCS applicants and was told SWO-Intel existed, but there was no quota.

Congratulations to everyone chosen at this board! Looking forward to giving it another go at the next board (for straight Intel.)

the butt

I think by the time I hear back from my recruiter I could have enlisted, hopefully have gotten promoted a few times, applied to a new board, and received results lol

That might be a bit dramatic but the wait is eating me

exNavyOffRec

Just checked in with my recruiter. Program authorization still exists for SWO-Intel, they just haven't selected anyone, likely in years. That lines up with what I heard when I called NRC to check what SWO options still existed back in April for OCS applicants and was told SWO-Intel existed, but there was no quota.

Congratulations to everyone chosen at this board! Looking forward to giving it another go at the next board (for straight Intel.)

The SWO-Intel option was started around 2011, I believe they put 1 or 2 people into it, and there were not directly selected for it, they I believe had been selected for other IDC programs and were converted over, I don't think they have even had a selection quota at any board, my guess is it was an experiment and it is still on the books but not used, kind of like BDCP.

Your recruiter should have been up on this and been able to look at past board results to guide you accordingly.

exNavyOffRec

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to everyone that made it!
I was pro rec N for June. This was my first time applying so I'm going to keep trying. I'm currently enlisted, and I think my biggest weak spot is the fact that I am not in the Intel community. I managed to get a LOR from an intel O6 and a couple of interviews from intel LT's and CDR's among others but I guess it wasn't enough. Does anybody have any advice for me to get some experience in the community? Anything is appreciated.

My stats:
2nd class petty officer, enlisted 6 years
Evals: from most recent: EP, EP transfer, MP, EP frocking, EP

Education: AA in counter terrorism studies, BA in international relations (GPA of 3.4), currently 9 credits completed towards MS in intelligence management (4.0 GPA so far)

OAR: 48

LOR's: intel O6, SEAL O6/commodore, seabee O6, and 2 seabee O3's I directly worked for

Interviews: intel O5, intel O3, supply O5, SWO O5

*I have already scheduled two more interviews with intel O5's. I am going to adjust my essay, too, and look on Navy Cool to see if I can take an IS course or something.

Odds are your biggest weak spot is the non tech degree as they try to get a split of 60/40 for tech/non tech

The biggest thing you can do is finish that masters, historically a person that submits for the same designator again that doesn't have some major improvement in their application (new degree, GPA increase) has a worse chance of being selected.

I would look at other designators as well, Intel has a low selection rate, it was just under 7% in March and just under 4% the board before that, what I would ask you is if you keep applying and age out of other options would you regret not trying for something else?

Congrats! Can you please post some of your stats? Im enlisted also and am trying for this board.

Sure thing, and thanks !

CTI2 with 2 years and change in (so most of my information comes from my civilian education)
Evals were an EP and MP (I had to request a waiver for fewer than 3 years' worth of evals)
OAR 61
Bachelors of Arts in Foreign Policy and Security Studies from Boston University, GPA: 3.8
Associate of Arts in Russian from Defense Language Institute
LoRs from the civilian I work under, and my OPS who is a LCDR
Interviews were set up through my command, so I have 4 Lieutenants, 1 Lieutenant Commander, and 1 Commander. I was ranked #1 from my command for the cycle out of I believe 6.
And of course the job I am working now couldn't have hurt, it's Intel/IW bread and butter.

As far as the civilian stuff I had:
VP of a National Honors fraternity
Student Employee of the Year BU 2013
Intern in Irish Parliament

I think that just about covers all of it haha and good luck :)