• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

12 January 2014 OCS class date

Fender51

Gotcha. Ok thanks. I'm applying for SNA but they said the next board wasn't until November/Decemberish.

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
(This may not be the thread for this but I figured I'd ask)

Hey does anyone know what the wait times are like if one was to get picked up for an intel slot? My package will be going to board (hopefully) on 2 Dec 2013, and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of when that could result in an OCS date. I've heard anything from 3-6 months.

Cheers

AughtaRotate

Glorified Bus Driver
DDE190

That would be a better question for the general Navy OCS board. These threads are for people with OCS dates already to get to know their fellow classmates.

That said, I got my pro-rec about a week after the 15 July board, my final select on 3 October, and obviously a January class date. YMMV

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
July Board as well. Newport winter should be fun, more worried about running inside- up the stairs and in tight oval circuits around the gym for hours due to the cold temps outside.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
I'm used to cold winters.

So, is the prt held completely indoors as well? Not gonna be fun running the 1.5mi around the gym.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I'm used to cold winters.

So, is the prt held completely indoors as well? Not gonna be fun running the 1.5mi around the gym.
If weather is bad enough then yeah, they'll hold the PRT in the gym at Kay Hall. They do 20 laps around the gym for the mile and a half, which sucks for several reasons. First it's a LOT more cramped than doing it out on the track. Second, it's more boxy than rounded, so you have to turn four corners 20 times (my biggest pet peeve was people passing on the inside instead of the outside, so there'd be people cutting between me and the cone. And of course the DI told me to shut up when I tried to tell them to pass on the outside). Third, the surface of the court doesn't have as much give as the rubber stuff out on the track, so it can be tough on your shins (most people should be fine, since you're only running for 10-15 minutes). I was told to expect a shorter run time because of the shorter distance (supposedly 1.5 miles is closer to like 22 laps), but I actually added half a minute when we did ours inside.
And Jon, I don't think they'll make you run stairs. That could be pretty dangerous, especially as a group. This is an organization that makes you tuck in your shoelaces so you don't trip, they're pretty safety-minded.
When we had to do Reg PT indoors, they had us do it with our own respective companies, and since it was a strength and conditioning day, our PT body just led us in a bunch of exercises from the card. We just got a bunch of mats from the laundry and worked out in our own P-way. On a run day, they would just split it up between floors (or "decks," as they'll be called at OCS), and they'd do laps around the kill zone. I was UI on something else that day, so I don't know too much about how it went.

AughtaRotate

Glorified Bus Driver
Have any of you checked out the OCS Facebook? I like to look through photos of what the glasses are doing now. All you can do is just laugh, knowing that we'll be going through it soon. RLP is going to be 'fun'. If you haven't seen it, it's listed as "Officer Training Command Newport".

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Yup, I've taken a look through the photos as well.

Also, right now, I'd rather be in that Newport weather than what it's been like in N Illinois this week.

AughtaRotate

Glorified Bus Driver
Spartan, I'm sure the weather at OCS will be a total non-issue for you. I'm from NC and it will be a fair bit cooler than I'm used to. The average overall temp in Newport is one degree lower than th average low where I live. Woo hoo

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Spartan, I'm sure the weather at OCS will be a total non-issue for you. I'm from NC and it will be a fair bit cooler than I'm used to. The average overall temp in Newport is one degree lower than th average low where I live. Woo hoo
Yeah, I feel for you guys coming from the south. I just looked up averages too and we average about 10 degrees colder in the winter and 10 degrees hotter in the summer.

trakus

Received my final select for this class today, 24/Male/SNA. Looking forward to it. Being from the northeast, I can tell you that there are no colder months up here than January, February, and March. We might get a small break nearing the end of training, as the end of March is when it tends to warm up, but plan some cold days especially being right on the water.

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
Oh baby, I'm coming from Pensacola, Florida so its been a while since I've been in the real cold. Dad was an Marine instructor at the fork and knife school next door to where we will be. Hopefully I will endure cold weather running better than before.