• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

11JUL17 Pilot/NFO board

exNavyOffRec

Probably should've mentioned it, but I did ask my OR. He said that I just missed the last one and have to wait until the next fiscal year. It just seemed strange to me that it's only July and it's the last one. He's unsure with the future dates but I was just wondering if anyone else here has heard of anything so it could create some deadline for myself.

I hope your OR doesn't believe that in the new FY there will be lots of openings, if so he need to become educated on how the FY works with officer recruiting.

Safashton

I did four years enlisted and went to the kiddie pool in boot camp :(. I have since learned a little and still learning at the YMCA. Definitely doing because I want to go pilot. And I think that API swim is 80min, I think that's what I read.

Well I'm glad I won't be the first nor last "not so good" swimmer

I feel like the 80 minutes is way to long and not the right time, but I can't remember! lol. Like I said, don't have to be a strong swimmer, comfort ability is more what you need, like not entirely panicking. Probably the most intense water training you will have to go through is the Helo Dunker, where you do multiple underwater escapes out of seats, where they flip you upside down strapped to a seat underwater, you pull a window out and escape through it. Then multiple runs through the helo dunker itself where it descents, flips under water and you go out your designated egress point. You do it like 5 times, couple times without blackout goggles and your emergency air breathing device (mini scuba tank essentially), then a few runs with no oxygen and blackout goggles. This gets a lot of people, but honestly you hold your breath and do what you need to do, going upside down is pretty disorienting, but the trick is not to completely freakout, because its a fairly safe evolution since their are emergency divers watching the whole time. Plus I think you keep your air bottle on you the whole time, so if shit goes bad, grab your mouth piece, and breath.

exNavyOffRec

For those of us that don't have ORs would you mind elaborating?
I've been told this from the two ORs I've had...lol.

The gov't FY is from Oct to Sept, but for OCS for a person to be in a specific FY they need to graduate in that FY, which means you need to be in OCS at least 3 months before the end of the FY, that means they will do selections a few months before that, so if a person is graduating in October (to be in FY 18) the board for that FY 18 accession would have been in May, at least, so by the time Oct 1st rolls around about half of the FY 18 selection could have already been used up.

Carina

The gov't FY is from Oct to Sept, but for OCS for a person to be in a specific FY they need to graduate in that FY, which means you need to be in OCS at least 3 months before the end of the FY, that means they will do selections a few months before that, so if a person is graduating in October (to be in FY 18) the board for that FY 18 accession would have been in May, at least, so by the time Oct 1st rolls around about half of the FY 18 selection could have already been used up.

Took me a while to understand that, but wow I get it and it's crazy. I thought new fiscal year meant more billets especially after reading this:https://www.google.com/amp/s/ajsqua...o-increase-your-ocs-selection-rate-by-30/amp/

So for us July people, if selected will we be taking FY 18 billets and going to OCS in October , or like you said before aviation candidates are rushed to go ASAP

DONOSAURU5REX

pilot
Thanks for the clarification! I completely misunderstood what you were saying. Any board should give an applicant an idea of when they would attend OCS anyway considering they say what FY the selections are for (like anyone applying for this board shouldn't expect to graduate until after October 1 of this year).

Carina

Thanks for the clarification! I completely misunderstood what you were saying. Any board should give an applicant an idea of when they would attend OCS anyway considering they say what FY the selections are for (like anyone applying for this board shouldn't expect to graduate until after October 1 of this year).
Oh that is true. The board sheet does say what fiscal year each board is selecting for. I Need to go back and look at it!

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
Took me a while to understand that, but wow I get it and it's crazy. I thought new fiscal year meant more billets especially after reading this:https://www.google.com/amp/s/ajsqua...o-increase-your-ocs-selection-rate-by-30/amp/

So for us July people, if selected will we be taking FY 18 billets and going to OCS in October , or like you said before aviation candidates are rushed to go ASAP

I have also heard that there are more billet openings when the new fiscal year starts as well, but this was in reference to enlisted. I imagine there isn't much of a difference, if any. Definitely worth something to bring up when I meet with my OR next week, thanks!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel like the 80 minutes is way to long and not the right time, but I can't remember! lol. Like I said, don't have to be a strong swimmer, comfort ability is more what you need, like not entirely panicking. Probably the most intense water training you will have to go through is the Helo Dunker, where you do multiple underwater escapes out of seats, where they flip you upside down strapped to a seat underwater, you pull a window out and escape through it. Then multiple runs through the helo dunker itself where it descents, flips under water and you go out your designated egress point. You do it like 5 times, couple times without blackout goggles and your emergency air breathing device (mini scuba tank essentially), then a few runs with no oxygen and blackout goggles. This gets a lot of people, but honestly you hold your breath and do what you need to do, going upside down is pretty disorienting, but the trick is not to completely freakout, because its a fairly safe evolution since their are emergency divers watching the whole time. Plus I think you keep your air bottle on you the whole time, so if shit goes bad, grab your mouth piece, and breath.
You don't get a HABD device in API, nor do you need one. You only get one It doesn't take that long to get out of the dunker; it just takes patience and doing what they tell you to. Besides, the whole back of the dunker is open. It's not a valid exit for training purposes, but if the divers think you're in trouble, they can use it to haul you out of the thing pronto.