• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

redsox06

BDCP SWO
So, as a hopeful BDCP applicant for January, I have started thinking about what I am going to do next summer. Should I get into BDCP, I really don't see the point of working (I'll make more money in one month than a whole summer of lifeguarding like I usually do). So, what are the rest of you BDCP people planning to do with your summers? PT every day? Relax? Travel?

fusu

ah the free summer.

I spent my last one on a state dept. fellowship in China and the one before that interning with my congressman.

I would suggest volunteering or interning with an organization that does something you love. Money, as you note, isn't really an issue so go out and work for something or someone cool. Having free time and not having to worry about money =a chance you may never have again.

Lobster

"Well...Um...actually a pretty nice little summer...we're ugh we're gonna go to the beach...yea buy beers, maybe chase around some broads...stuff like that...maybe get a tan...I don't know...I don't know if we'll have enough time"

Yeah working is out of the picture, this was discussed briefly in one of the other threads and lazers had a great line in it when someone was talking about getting a summer job while in BDCP..."I'm not trying to add work to my BDCP summer", I was rather amused.

Most likely the summer will consist of three things, beers, beaches, and broads...

We'll see what happens

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Travel, travel, travel... I'm planning on jumping on a bunch of different military flights and just going where ever they go. After working for the past 4 years and full time school, I can say that it is going to be one happy day at the end of winter break when I give my notice at my job. There will also be beers, broads, and beaches... Gotta love San Diego while I still have the chance.

Probably hangout on base and try to meet people in my community, that is another idea... The great thing is, we can do what ever we want. Congrats everyone who is in the BDCP.

Has anyone heard of a final select SNA or SNFO picking up a private pilots license (and having the Navy pick up the tab) during a BDCP summer? This way you could skip IFS and go straight to API after commisioning.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I plan on spending my summer in London doing an internship + travelling Europe

Am I wrong in thinking that when you leave your NRD, you must use leave? I would like to take advantage of Space-A and all that good stuff, but I don't want to run my leave dry immediately.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Am I wrong in thinking that when you leave your NRD, you must use leave? I would like to take advantage of Space-A and all that good stuff, but I don't want to run my leave dry immediately.

Let me get this straight - All you do is go to school, earn leave, get paid, can use Space-A and then you think you shouldn't have to use your leave when you want to travel? Any other freebies you deserve cause I think it's a pretty good deal? :icon_wink

edit - Don't forget about the TIS and retirement points!

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
If your recruiter is cool, like mine was, you fill out a leave chit and then if nothing bad happens, it gets shredded when you're back safe. But you will need a leave chit to get on an AMC flight.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Let me get this straight - All you do is go to school, earn leave, get paid, can use Space-A and then you think you shouldn't have to use your leave when you want to travel? Any other freebies you deserve? :icon_wink

Per diem?? ;)

I only asked because JJH mentioned going to Europe for an internship, which I imagine would go over the allowed amount of leave per year (30 days?).

fusu

hmm...well I leave a definitive answer to someone who actually knows what they're talking about, but I was in BDCP for 8 months before going abroad for 12 weeks and it wasn't a problem. Had to go through some clearance stuff but no snags on days of leave.

Does leave work differently when school isn't in secession?

JJH

In regard to international travel while enrolled in bdcp--I was told that as long as it is school related...(internship for school credit, study abroad) and doesn't conflict with your adcp, you are waved through by your recruiter and do not need to take leave.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone heard of a final select SNA or SNFO picking up a private pilots license (and having the Navy pick up the tab) during a BDCP summer? This way you could skip IFS and go straight to API after commisioning.

Yup exactly. My old roommate did this and more with his BDCP pocket change over the summer. I think the fucker bought a chateau in Mexico all the while sippin Patron Margarita's, getting fanned with a palm frond from some chick named Mildred and makin paper airplanes out of the extra bills because it was "cool."