• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1 in 10 !?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I was talking to this former Navy fighter pilot and Desert Storm Ace named Skeeterman... He said that I can get jets even though I'm 39 years old right now. Since he is going to write me a letter of recommendation and I REALLY want to fly and I'm not taking no for an answer, it's all but guaranteed. When do I get my keys to Hornet?

novakw2

First, I would like to start by apologizing for my first post on this website. I didn't realize that pressing "Enter" will automatically post!

Let me start off by telling you guys a little bit about myself and my situation. I am a highly motivated 23 year old male, who recently graduated from high ranking college on the East coast. I come from a lower class background, and had to work my way through college, not to mention I am the first person from my family to ever attend college. I worked as a cashier at a local grocery store throughout highschool, and while attending college, I worked and still work as a highly respected EMT at a fast paced urban 911 ambulance company. I also worked ona pHd level thesis on prostate cancer research during my senior year of college at a medical school close to my university, and have given numerous presentations on my work to the entire medical school faculty and student body.

I am also an active member in my community as I coach my little brother’s youth football team. I also played football and ran track during high school.

Unfortunately I have also had my mistakes and misfortunes in life. I had 2 underage drinking charges while a teenager, while both charges were dropped and expunged due to the fact I blew zeros both times, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time in the eyes of over zealous local police officers who have a reputation for tormenting the youth because they are creative in finding ways not to pay their own health insurance. Also, I graduated with a meager 2.7 GPA in college due to my obsession with hands on learning while working as an EMT, and my cancer research. Although my GPA is low, my college was narrow minded in their preparation of young men and women for the “ real world”. They bombarded you with trivial, useless information, akin to jumping through hoops of fire, and I simply had better things to do than study more than the 3 hours a night ( see my list of extracurriculars) I already had. Most of the people I graduated with missed out on the things I experienced ( ie, leadership and problem solving) just to forget the “ extra things” we were taught the day after a test like everyone else. This is part of the reason why I think I may do myself and my country a service by trying to become a Marine officer.

I am not a lazy, hard boozing loser. as I scored a 32 on my MCATS, ( really good considering most med schools average 27ish for matriculating college seniors), and scored a 90 on my ASVAB in high school. I can run 3 miles in 19:30, can do 25 pull ups and 115 crunches in 2 minutes.

I have spoken to two Marine OSO’s thus far. One guy told me he is so backed up he doesn’t even want to talk to me in person until December due to the backup of officer slots, and the other said I have no chance due to the underage’s.

Given the current economic situation, and influx of OCC applicants, do I stand a chance at being accepted to Marine OCC? Or will I be turned down for narrow minded underachievers with 4.0’s in underwater basket weaving?

P.S. Although he is not a Marine, Colin Powell had a 2.3 GPA in college.

srqwho

pilot
Rick Perry had a 2.5 GPA in Animal Sciences and he flew for the Air Force. Just sayin.

I can't give you any solid advice other than to say that there are quite a few people (on this forum) who didn't have stellar grades in college and are now winged Navy pilots. The extra stuff helps, and so does a good ASTB.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yeah, if you can't get the easy trivial stuff down, why will anyone trust you with the important stuff?

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't post much, but frankly that attitude won't get you far. No one cares what you opine about the quality of higher learning. Given the opportunity to be an Officer in any branch, the sad reality is you are reduced to two pieces of paper of year explaining your worth. So, you are a metric on paper in the eyes of Big "enter service choice here"; and when you explain yourself to the board for consideration with "wrong place at the wrong time in the eyes of over zealous local police officers who have a reputation for tormenting the youth because they are creative in finding ways not to pay their own health insurance", the reviewing Officer will ask for an alley-oop enroute to the tin can as your application sails through the air. You may or may not be a 'minority', but if you went to a 'minority' college you will in fact have a leg up. Facts is facts....

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
P.S. Although he is not a Marine, Colin Powell had a 2.3 GPA in college.

Different time, different culture, different military, different man, and different commissioning source! So... What is your point? Maybe a little more concentration on improving yourself will work better for you in the future.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I don't think any active Marine OSO's post on here. So with that the most productive answer you could possibly get would be something like: Don't give up on your dreams, keep trying, try different OSO's, different branches of service (the Marine Corps is really downsizing these days), etc...

Telling us your story doesn't do a whole lot for you. You are gonna have to talk to an OSO and get one to submit your application. Good luck.

Also, your attitude, at least in writing, comes across as kinda crappy. Don't have such a chip on your shoulder. You knew what you were getting in to when you put other things above classes you didn't feel were important, so you can't complain about having a shitty GPA. It's not your peers or your schools fault.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
They bombarded you with trivial, useless information, akin to jumping through hoops of fire, and I simply had better things to do than study more than the 3 hours a night

You just perfectly and unwittingly described a large proportion of military training.