• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1 in 10 !?

MasterBates

The only time anyone has given a flying fuck about my degree and GPA since I got accepted, is now, when I am getting a civilian job, and I'm glad I have a semi-real degree vice some BS stuff.

But for the purposes of flying for the Navy, my answer is like Chunks, but with Mechanical Engineering. I think I played with cars for my degree or something.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
The only time anyone has given a flying fuck about my degree and GPA since I got accepted, is now, when I am getting a civilian job, and I'm glad I have a semi-real degree vice some BS stuff.

But for the purposes of flying for the Navy, my answer is like Chunks, but with Mechanical Engineering. I think I played with cars for my degree or something.

Are you having any luck finding an engineering job? I've got a Computer Science degree and, given how fast sh!t changes, don't know how relevant it will be in ten+ years.

MasterBates

My engineering degree is semi relevant, as Mech E doesn't change that fast. Biggest handicap is that the CAE system I was basically a GOD with (SDRC I-DEAS) is pretty much gone the way of command line operating systems.

So my CAD/CAE skills are a bit lacking at the moment. I'm still trying to stay flying, but lack of FW PIC time is killing me.

MasterBates

Just bag all the PIC time you can.. Once you have the mins for category/class, it's all most places really care about.

Most places would rather have a 1200TT Hornet Dude with 1000 PIC than a 3500 hour E-2/Helo Guy with 400 Total PIC / 100 FW PIC.

I knew it was "important" way back, but did not realize "how important" and am paying the piper for it currently. Or more appropriately, will be paying FOR a Piper to get more.

Sonog

pilot
What's the market like for civilian helo pilots?

I've always had this dream of becoming a powder bird pilot in Utah if I get winged in helos.

MasterBates

That's the big issue I saw when looking at helo jobs. We get half, if lucky the flight time Army dudes get.
And hours is gold in the real world

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
...continuing the thread-jack....

It really depends on the mission. Medevac...not so much. I amgetting about half as much deployed as I get stateside full time. Although stupid soldiers doing stupid things (Falling off a makeshift bench while painting, etc..) are keeping me a little busier lately.

Ring route/air assault guys get triple what I get in a year stateside.

The 5000 hr guys have 15 to 20 years serv
Check here: http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobs/list/q-helicopter pilot

Of course, it helps if you have 5,000+ hours like many Army/National Guard pilots will have when you interview for the job....

ice...all flying. No disassociated BS. I can count on 200-250 hrs a year as a full timer until I retire from the guard. Maybe more if I were to do air assault on my next deployment. Non-full time pilots get 100 hr a year on average.

A tip for Navy guys trying to get Army or Army related jobs...get a CFI rating if possible, it will help your Navy instructing experience look more acceptable to the Army. Also, talk to the hiring manager and see if they will accept "or similar aircraft". I had to have them do that for my full time GS technician job. I had no UH-60 time, and the HR people were too dull to figure out SH-60 time is really the same thing.Once they changed it, I was the most qualified for the job and I was hired.

ryan1234

.....stuff.....

You definitely sound like a douche....however there is hope...

To be successful in your quest, you will need to totally overhaul your thought process. You can make excuses for the low GPA all you want, but the end game is that your merits will be based on someone else's perception of your total package (sts).... And they will determine if they believe you are worthy of being selected. Your job now is to constantly pursue ways to improve what it is that they see. Period. Dot.

The dudes (and dudettes) on this board are a valuable asset in determining how the board may judge you.

Can you get picked up with a 2.7 GPA? Yes....but you'll have to work hard and have the right attitude...and it may not come right away.

Having said that...take your lashes from the Military members here....and go forth and un-douchebag yourself.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I too, had a dream once. I wanted to be a professional baseball player. All that practice shit was bullshit, though. All that throwing and catching and batting business--a true "out of the box" player like myself didn't need that shit. When I went to tryouts, they were all like,"So, what was your batting average?" And I'm like, ".100, 'cause I like, always swing for the fences." And they're like "Get the fuck out of my office." And I'm like, "Babe Ruth didn't have to put up with this shit." And they said,"Babe Ruth would beat you to death, eat you, drink 6 beers, shit you out before a game and then hit 3 homers. You ain't Babe Ruth." I told them I'd go and bitch about this experience on the Internet.