• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

+1 for a meps style depth failure

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks Ottowrote. My vision is 20/25 left eye and 20/30 right eye, both correctable to 20/20. Being within the limits of visual accuity, are there waivers available for astigmatism?

As far as I know, negative. I remember reading on here a while back someone who NPQed not for visual acuity, but rather for being out of the limits for astigmatism. If it's something you'd like to pursue, perhaps get a consult from an ophthalmologist about PRK and see if you're a good candidate. I doubt they'd waiver something like astigmatism.

Perhaps doc can chime in and prove me wrong?

RussBow6

Hey, quick question (excuse me if it has already been covered in another thread, it is a pain in the a$$ to look through everything)...I was wondering where to find the list of things to bring to MEPS. I was on the Navy website, one of many and it was saying to bring clothes and all that. Is that for enlisted people? I just got pro rec and waiting to schedule MEPS and PRT. I just want to get all my stuff together so I don't delay the process. Any info would be great. Thanks :)

when i was at meps all i needed was myself. there was only 1 other ocs applicant there with me... everyone else was enlisted and/or shipping out that day. they should have all your paperwork and information there already... you just need to verify your info is right and then follow instructions for prolly 4-5 hrs. i started at meps at 6 am and was outta there and on the road home by 1230 pm.

they take blood, pee in a cup, eyes, hearing, physical... enjoy the duckwalk!

your recruiter will know for sure... check with them

RussBow6

Like a ton of other people in this thread I failed the depth perception test at MEPS. I went to an optometrist today for a second opinion and, just as I thought, I had no problems with my depth perception. Does anyone know If Ill have to go back to MEPS or is a copy of the eye exam results enough to submit with the rest of my paper work. Also, is there a limit on astigmatism? Mine is +0.5 left and +1.75 right.

i just had the optometrist type up a letter on his letterhead, real short and sweet, just saying that I had 40 arc seconds of depth which is what the navy requires for a class I candidate which you need to be for SNA. the doc signed it and gave his contact info in case the medical advisors want to ask him anything. i'll submit his letter with my application package.

i checked in with feddoc (he's the boss ha) and he said that he thinks that meps will want to retest me with their test... we'll see what happens. i'm hoping the letter will work well enough and will get me into ocs and then i'll have to pass the depth at the ocs physical and then again at the flight physical...

i'm sure on the details (hopefully/maybe someone in the know can sure it up for both of us??) but thats how i understand my situation as of right now.

hopefully that helps you out a little

euclid83

FS SNA
i just had the optometrist type up a letter on his letterhead, real short and sweet, just saying that I had 40 arc seconds of depth which is what the navy requires for a class I candidate which you need to be for SNA. the doc signed it and gave his contact info in case the medical advisors want to ask him anything. i'll submit his letter with my application package.

i checked in with feddoc (he's the boss ha) and he said that he thinks that meps will want to retest me with their test... we'll see what happens. i'm hoping the letter will work well enough and will get me into ocs and then i'll have to pass the depth at the ocs physical and then again at the flight physical...

i'm sure on the details (hopefully/maybe someone in the know can sure it up for both of us??) but thats how i understand my situation as of right now.

hopefully that helps you out a little

Thats pretty much what I had done as well. According to my OR I shouldnt have to go back to MEPS. I sure hope hes right because that place sucks, and I cant afford to miss any more work. Ive already used up my personal days doing navy stuff.

RussBow6

Thats pretty much what I had done as well. According to my OR I shouldnt have to go back to MEPS. I sure hope hes right because that place sucks, and I cant afford to miss any more work. Ive already used up my personal days doing navy stuff.

amen yeah i'm with ya...
i had my astb and prt on one day and then the meps the next morning... and it fell on a tuesday wednesday so i took monday to get some last second studying in. drive to albany, ny from fairfield, ct is not a quick trip especially in my car haha.

im pumped your OR said that though... i really hope i dont have to go back up to meps either. i told my boss i was going skiing... if i told him i was applying to navy i would of been asked to leave on the spot.

i'll let you know if i find out anything more from feddoc/nomi or from my recruiter. good luck man!

euclid83

FS SNA
amen yeah i'm with ya...
i had my astb and prt on one day and then the meps the next morning... and it fell on a tuesday wednesday so i took monday to get some last second studying in. drive to albany, ny from fairfield, ct is not a quick trip especially in my car haha.

im pumped your OR said that though... i really hope i dont have to go back up to meps either. i told my boss i was going skiing... if i told him i was applying to navy i would of been asked to leave on the spot.

i'll let you know if i find out anything more from feddoc/nomi or from my recruiter. good luck man!

A friend of mine that I worked with applied for boarder patrol. When the investigators came for his background check they laid him off that day. When I talked to him about it he said they were under the impression he already had the boarder patrol job and thats why they let him go, but he advised me not to say shit to anyone about it. I hate not telling the truth to my employer but I dont want to lose my job. They've already started my investigation so its only a matter of time before they find out. Ill cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'll also let you know if I find out anymore information about the depth perception. And good luck to you too sir!

RussBow6

thanks. I am sure it will be as great as everyone says it will be....

its not that bad... i kept hearing how they rush stuff and whatnot but everyone that worked there was real nice and joked around with us. from what a lot of the enlisteds said meps used to be where you had to act like you were in boot camp and not talk or use your cell phone and sit/stand at attention. but my day was real relaxed and the people were great...

just a lotta waiting around... so bring a book or magazine or hope your phone has internet service haha

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
{My vision is 20/25 left eye and 20/30 right eye, both correctable to 20/20. Being within the limits of visual accuity, are there waivers available for astigmatism?}

Messed up that quote command ... anyway...

So let me get this straight. I have 20/10 right 20/15 left post-PRK almost 5 months, 6 month post op coming up soon. Would I be DQ'd because my left eye is slightly less good than the right even if they're both under 20/20? I'm a bit confused after reading this discussion.

Sorry for the hijack.

RussBow6

A friend of mine that I worked with applied for boarder patrol. When the investigators came for his background check they laid him off that day. When I talked to him about it he said they were under the impression he already had the boarder patrol job and thats why they let him go, but he advised me not to say shit to anyone about it. I hate not telling the truth to my employer but I dont want to lose my job. They've already started my investigation so its only a matter of time before they find out. Ill cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'll also let you know if I find out anymore information about the depth perception. And good luck to you too sir!

wow that sucks... i hope your boy got the boarder job or that'd be beyond cruel. a couple people in my office know just not my bosses yet... they were actually the reason i started the application process... they pretty much said you can either sit at a desk and watch bank accounts or take a last crack at your dream of the navy... pretty great arguement if you ask me haha.

it bugs me too a little bit and i'm sure if i told the directors they'd understand but i need an income and if ocs doesnt work out i dont need him thinking that hey this kid would rather be somewhere else why keep him around... ill tell my boss when everything is squared away and i'm ready to actually submit.

at least your pro rec'd.. you're a lot further along than i am... i'm still waiting on a couple of LORs and debating if i should get some flight time in a real cockpit

RussBow6

{My vision is 20/25 left eye and 20/30 right eye, both correctable to 20/20. Being within the limits of visual accuity, are there waivers available for astigmatism?}

Messed up that quote command ... anyway...

So let me get this straight. I have 20/10 right 20/15 left post-PRK almost 5 months, 6 month post op coming up soon. Would I be DQ'd because my left eye is slightly less good than the right even if they're both under 20/20? I'm a bit confused after reading this discussion.

Sorry for the hijack.

i'm not an expert but as long you're 20/20 you can be designated Class I.
both of your eyes are better than 20/20 (just not evenly better if that makes sense) which is what you need for SNA. i dunno how the prk works like whether you need natural 20/20 vision or if prk "fixed" vision will get you class I as well. check around on the prk forum i guess. good luck champ

nugget61

pilot

Sorry for the hijack.

Russ is right - acuity wise you are fine. From what I hear the docs will just mark you as 20/20 and you get the little check in the box.
Acuity isn't the only thing that you have to pass though... still have to be within limits of astigmatism, no halos/flares etc. I think its section 12.15 in the waiver guide if you want to read all about it.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Yeah I suppose I'll go check the guide out, thanks for letting me hijack temporarily.

Last thing though, even if I pass acuity by quite a bit, will it matter if I'm slightly astigmatic? Just seems odd it'd matter.

Lobster

Am I the only one who thought that the color blind test was trickier (just 'cause of the shapes of the numbers and stuff) than the depth perception?

DP every one had a dot very clearly sticking out. For me. I'd be interested to see why so many guys have trouble with it even though they have great vision.

Its just a hard one to figure out. I remember doing it and trying to go through the first time and the lady going "ok stop, this is what you do" then I went back and did it again and went through every single one. She told me I passed at one point but dared me to finish it to see how far I could go. It just hard to get it at first glance, then you start freaking out like "holy sh!t I can't see!!!????".