• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

+1 for a meps style depth failure

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
No calling shenanigans JUST yet, but IIRC one of my answers was dot 1 (she told me after). But I also only recall having four dots to choose from...

Who knows

Yeah, I had 5 dots on my test, so that may be why. I also didn't answer the last bubble because I was struggling with it but the administrator stopped me and told me I passed anyway.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Am I the only one who thought that the color blind test was trickier (just 'cause of the shapes of the numbers and stuff) than the depth perception?

DP every one had a dot very clearly sticking out. For me. I'd be interested to see why so many guys have trouble with it even though they have great vision.

RussBow6

haha yes sir i think you are...

no joke the lady couldnt turn the pages fast enough for me on the color test and when i told the gal what line i was going to read for the actual vision test she went, "are you sure?" like i had misspoke and made a mistake telling her ha

i asked the doc during my physical though and he said you can have great eyes but if the connection is bad between the eyes thats why my brain wouldnt be able to form 3d pictures... we'll find out tomorrow morning. ive drank so much water i'm pissing every 15 minutes and im going to sleep now for a 945 appt ha. we'll see what happens.

thanks for help everybody

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
There are the dots on a line one, and then there's the test which is a group of target looking objects. The target one is the one that they gave me at NOMI a few weeks ago. My biggest problem with them is that they appear to move around on me. I end up changing my answer before they can tell me I'm wrong. It gives me hell every time but I give it hell back, and win.

Good luck.

RussBow6

welp i'm back and i can see in stereo as the doc says.

i only got 6 out of 9 right though so that bugs me... maybe i do really have a depth problem. (i had the target test with the fly's wings and 3d glasses) saw the fly's wings so thats a good thing from what i gathered.

this doc is hesitant to write a letter to the navy and signing his name to it (i dont blame him, i wouldnt either) saying that i have depth when in reality my depth isnt perfect. this guy was an eye surgeon though not an opto-neurologist which (he says) is the expert on this stuff. so i guess ill see one of those (opto-neuro guys) and find out why i'm not getting 9 outta 9. then get a letter from there. is there somewhere on nomi that says you need a certain standarized depth perception rate or something like that??

thoughts?

they dilated the hell outta my eyes this morning for the eye exams... driving back to my office was a lot of fun haha and typing this post was incredibly awkward so sorry if it doesnt make the best of sense

nugget61

pilot
welp i'm back and i can see in stereo as the doc says.

i only got 6 out of 9 right though so that bugs me... maybe i do really have a depth problem. (i had the target test with the fly's wings and 3d glasses) saw the fly's wings so thats a good thing from what i gathered.

this doc is hesitant to write a letter to the navy and signing his name to it (i dont blame him, i wouldnt either) saying that i have depth when in reality my depth isnt perfect. this guy was an eye surgeon though not an opto-neurologist which (he says) is the expert on this stuff. so i guess ill see one of those (opto-neuro guys) and find out why i'm not getting 9 outta 9. then get a letter from there. is there somewhere on nomi that says you need a certain standarized depth perception rate or something like that??

thoughts?

they dilated the hell outta my eyes this morning for the eye exams... driving back to my office was a lot of fun haha and typing this post was incredibly awkward so sorry if it doesnt make the best of sense

Depth Perception: Only stereopsis is tested. Must pass any one of the following three tests:
(1) AFVT: at least A – D with no misses.
(2) Stereo booklet (Titmus Fly or Randot): 40 arc second circles.
(3) Verhoeff: 8/8 corrent on the first trial or, if any are missed, 16/16 correct on the combined second and third trials.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Pages/default.aspx

RussBow6

i bet i have to make it through all 9 to get hit the 40 seconds target.

thanks boss thats awesome info

i'll bring it by the doc's office and see how i do monday morning.

peachesnel

your the man jt thanks. that sounds real easy....

what happens (if) i make it to ocs and its the same damn machine? can i keep riding my doctor's note like a middle schooler or will i have to step up at some pt and pass the test or wash out?

They have alternative testing methods. You put on the goofy glasses and choose the circle that pops out at you. There are 3 different versions.

kat27

Hey, quick question (excuse me if it has already been covered in another thread, it is a pain in the a$$ to look through everything)...I was wondering where to find the list of things to bring to MEPS. I was on the Navy website, one of many and it was saying to bring clothes and all that. Is that for enlisted people? I just got pro rec and waiting to schedule MEPS and PRT. I just want to get all my stuff together so I don't delay the process. Any info would be great. Thanks :)

euclid83

FS SNA
Like a ton of other people in this thread I failed the depth perception test at MEPS. I went to an optometrist today for a second opinion and, just as I thought, I had no problems with my depth perception. Does anyone know If Ill have to go back to MEPS or is a copy of the eye exam results enough to submit with the rest of my paper work. Also, is there a limit on astigmatism? Mine is +0.5 left and +1.75 right.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Like a ton of other people in this thread I failed the depth perception test at MEPS. I went to an optometrist today for a second opinion and, just as I thought, I had no problems with my depth perception. Does anyone know If Ill have to go back to MEPS or is a copy of the eye exam results enough to submit with the rest of my paper work. Also, is there a limit on astigmatism? Mine is +0.5 left and +1.75 right.

According to NAMI's physical standards document, the limit for astigmatism is 1.00 for SNA applicants.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...cuments/Waiver Guide - Physical Standards.pdf

euclid83

FS SNA
Thanks Ottowrote. My vision is 20/25 left eye and 20/30 right eye, both correctable to 20/20. Being within the limits of visual accuity, are there waivers available for astigmatism?