• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

+1 for a meps style depth failure

RussBow6

+1 for the failures at depth in meps... 17/15 vision and flew through the colors...what gives... that machine is stupid... if i can catch a fly ball or hit a baseball i think i have depth perception thank you very much mr meps attendant... ha

been reading around on aw since and so i've got an appt with a civilian doc tomorrow morning... for all you guys that took this route... is there an official navy form i need to have the eye doc fill out? or is it just as simple as him writing and signing a letter, addressing it to "whomever it may concern" saying I passed his depth test and im good to go... then just slip that letter into my application package?

thanks for the help

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Mine signed the sheet he printed saying I have DP. Don't stress, same thing happened to me and I'm about to start IFS. No worries.

RussBow6

your the man jt thanks. that sounds real easy....

what happens (if) i make it to ocs and its the same damn machine? can i keep riding my doctor's note like a middle schooler or will i have to step up at some pt and pass the test or wash out?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I've read on here that the machine MEPS uses is not the same as at OCS. No need to worry.

On a side note as to how MEPS sucks...

I recently talked to a Lt Col in the ANG who flies F-16s and he told me that one of his fellow students in flight school was colorblind but still passed the numerous tests. How did he do that??? you ask...

He memorized the test. BTW, at MEPS on the depth perception test, never answer 1 or 5, the bubble sticking out is one of the three in the middle.

the meps is on a lighted machine with a bunch of black dots on a line if i remember correctly and one the them is closer/further from the rest. isn't the colored dot one to test for color blindness (ie if you are color blind you won't see the image)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
When you take your check-in physical at NOMI you'll take that stupid black dot DP test. I had to guess. It's an awful test.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
+1 for the failures at depth in meps... 17/15 vision and flew through the colors...what gives... that machine is stupid... if i can catch a fly ball or hit a baseball i think i have depth perception thank you very much mr meps attendant... ha

been reading around on aw since and so i've got an appt with a civilian doc tomorrow morning... for all you guys that took this route... is there an official navy form i need to have the eye doc fill out? or is it just as simple as him writing and signing a letter, addressing it to "whomever it may concern" saying I passed his depth test and im good to go... then just slip that letter into my application package?

thanks for the help

I work at a MEPS (not in medical, in the Navy liaison) and for enlistment, we cannot over-ride the MEPS phys with a civilian one just so a person can get a job. If that was the case then if a person was found dis-qual’d, the he/she can go to a doc to say they are qual’d. I'm not sure how officer boards see it, but for enlistment its a MEPS phys or nothing. The depth perception is tough, that’s why before we send people back to get a depth perception, we explain it to them because the applicants get “confused” about the instructions they are given.

jdflyer09

He memorized the test. BTW, at MEPS on the depth perception test, never answer 1 or 5, the bubble sticking out is one of the three in the middle.

No calling shenanigans JUST yet, but IIRC one of my answers was dot 1 (she told me after). But I also only recall having four dots to choose from...

Who knows