• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Tams

This is my first time posting on here, but I have been studying for awhile. I just wanted to shout out to the entire community here. I just finished taking the ASTB (first time) and got a 9/8/8 and a 65 on the OAR. It really does help to dig through the entire thread hunting for gouge. I will link the sources I have used below, but I am uncertain how useful they will be to others. I am 3.2ish Aerospace engineering senior, so the majority of my time was spent studying for the Nautical parts of the test (which I did not see that much of but was completely prepared for). The only other nugget of advice I can give is study the UAV cards like your life depends on it and maybe take some flight lessons familiarize yourself with aviation in general.

Once again good luck to everyone and I am very thankful to the tenants of this forum. I would not have scored so well without y'all.

Study Guide:

I started gathering information and glancing (5-10 minutes a day) probably 3 months ago, then I buckled down last Monday and really started studying (3-4 hours a day every day). I am a quick study and very good at standardized tests so take that into account when preparing yourself.

Very, very useful.

Pretty useful, not alot of questions on this, but what there was I got correct.
https://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-nautical-information-test-anit-comprehensive-4718163

They are okay. I found them significantly easier than the actual test (math and reading in particular) in some areas and irrelevant in others (spacial awareness).

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
This is my first time posting on here, but I have been studying for awhile. I just wanted to shout out to the entire community here. I just finished taking the ASTB (first time) and got a 9/8/8 and a 65 on the OAR. It really does help to dig through the entire thread hunting for gouge. I will link the sources I have used below, but I am uncertain how useful they will be to others. I am 3.2ish Aerospace engineering senior, so the majority of my time was spent studying for the Nautical parts of the test (which I did not see that much of but was completely prepared for). The only other nugget of advice I can give is study the UAV cards like your life depends on it and maybe take some flight lessons familiarize yourself with aviation in general.

Once again good luck to everyone and I am very thankful to the tenants of this forum. I would not have scored so well without y'all.

Study Guide:

I started gathering information and glancing (5-10 minutes a day) probably 3 months ago, then I buckled down last Monday and really started studying (3-4 hours a day every day). I am a quick study and very good at standardized tests so take that into account when preparing yourself.

Very, very useful.

Pretty useful, not alot of questions on this, but what there was I got correct.
https://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-nautical-information-test-anit-comprehensive-4718163

They are okay. I found them significantly easier than the actual test (math and reading in particular) in some areas and irrelevant in others (spacial awareness).
Congrats on the score! Are you applying SNA or SNFO?

Tams

Congrats on the score! Are you applying SNA or SNFO?

Only SNA, I really don't have much of an interest in SNFO, given I would consider it if NAMI happens.

Out of curiosity does someone know have brutal NAMI is? I grew up around Naval Aviators and I heard horror stories of a quarter of an OCS class disappears overnight, and those kind of things. My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask. I can go do so in the proper place if needed.

CW_Davis

I took just the OAR portion of the test yesterday and scored a 54. I know it's not stellar but my OR said I am more than competitive for CW and that's enough for me! This forum gave me so much information that I needed. I originally only bought the Mometrix book and thought I was in the clear by reviewing it. Man am I glad I did my research. Anyways, here's a shallow summary of my experience.

MATH
The 114 Questions OAR MATH study guide is a necessity. Much further prepared me for what I would see on the actual exam. My questions mainly consisted of fractions, exponents, and squares. Seemingly a majority were fractions.

READING
Just do it. I barely studied for this section except for what was in my Mometrix book. I believe the best advice I received was read in this forum. Answer the question that is stated in the passage, not what you can conclude from the passage. A lot of them seemed trippy because they both seemed correct, but usually, only one had facts explicitly stated in the passage. It's dry reading but just keep pushing through.

MECH:
I used the ASTB Mechanical Comprehension Flashcards on ProProfs (and posted numerous places here). I had many questions about the velocity of something relative to a certain time (AKA when is a bullet fired from a gun at its top velocity). I had also many questions just asking what (x) formula was used for. Seemed like mainly memorization/common sense.

Anyways shout out to everyone who posted on here and helped and good luck to everyone taking it in the future!

bakewipa

Took the test for the first time not too long ago and thought I'd post my experience with it just in case anyone finds it useful.

Stats
66 8/7/8 ASTB score and 3.78 GPA.

General Preparation
I studied for about a month, with an average of around 30-60 mins a day. I wish I could have studied more, but I took the exam during my busiest and hardest semester in college, so yeah... The main thing I used was the Trivium test prep book for the ASTB, and overall, I thought it was decent but lacking in some areas. A lot of the things it taught (particularly in math) did not appear on the actual exam or in any practice exams, and in general, the practice tests and questions in this book were easier than the actual exam questions. It's a good starting point, but it should not be your only source of preparation. I also used this forum, though I wish I had taken the time to look through this thread more thoroughly because there is a lot of good information in here. I really only started paging through here the day before the exam unfortunately.

Math
Not bad at all. The questions reminded me of the SAT/ACT exams, so there was nothing I hadn't seen before. Practice tests and questions are the best way to prepare for this section in my opinion, and since I hadn't done these types of math problems in a while, I just needed some practice to get back in the swing of things. I actually got off to a bad start on the ASTB because the very first question was some math problem about interest that I had no idea about, and it took me like five minutes just to solve it, but after that it was fine. Again, practice questions really help you because they give you experience with panicking when you see something you don't know so that on the day of the exam you don't completely lose your cool if it happens to you there. Certainly helped me in that regard. The toughest problems were the log (I got a lot of log questions) and matrices, which were not covered at all in the Trivium book, but I think I managed to get through them. Honestly the worst part was just re-learning how to do multiplication and division without a calculator.

Reading
This has always been my best subject, both in class and on standardized tests, and so I studied very little for it. However, the small amount of studying I did do was not helpful, and the actual exam questions were way harder than the ones on the practice test. I stupidly did not even read the instructions for this section on the actual exam, so when I got to the questions, I was kind of confused. They give you a short passage and then present you with four statements, and I guess you're supposed to pick which one best summarizes the passage? This was different from the practice I did, which asked about word definitions, author intent, etc. (the type of questions and format you'd see on SAT reading section). Furthermore, the passages on the actual exam were incredibly dry. I usually enjoy reading about military-related things, but these passages were all boring procedural overviews that were hard to follow because they were so bland and generalizing. There were a couple passages not related to the military, though.

Mechanical
Probably my worst written section. I am terrible at physics and haven't taken a physics class in years (well, actually I am in one right now, but it is much different and more difficult than anything on the ASTB), and this portion was no exception. This might have been the section I studied the most for, and yet there were still quite a few problems I did not get. It is the only section that I ran out of time on too. I don't really have much else to say here since I can't remember what most of the questions here, but regardless, I'm nowhere near qualified to give advice on mechanics anyway. I guess just know your mechanical advantage calculations at the very least.

Aviation/Nautical Information
After reading through this thread and doing practice questions, I thought this section would be harder than it actually was because I was thinking it would be a lot of aviation history. The Trivium book has almost zero history in it and focused mainly on aviation and nautical technical terms, so I did not feel prepared at all until I started reading this thread the day before the exam. But I think I lucked out on the exam because I did not get that many history questions, and the ones that I did get weren't too bad (who was the first pilot to fly mach 1, what plane was designated the Hornet, etc.). I also got like five or six questions just on ailerons, which I thought was weird... Anyway, I would definitely suggest studying aviation history in addition to nautical and aviation technical terms. There is a link to a flashcard deck floating around in this thread that is worth looking at (think it might be the one linked a couple posts above).

Personality
Most boring and tedious part of the test, and there were a lot of questions where I felt like neither answer fit me.

UAV/Compass
I did not know this portion of the test (along with the rest of the performance-based parts) even existed until the day before the exam, which goes to show my ignorance I guess. The Trivium book glosses over these sections by mentioning them in like a paragraph or two, so this is where this thread really came in handy. The flashcards that everyone links are really good practice, though I have to admit, I did not understand this section at all at first. I was so confused I had to watch a short YouTube video which went through a couple examples, and it was only then that I understood how to look down at the compass and judge the correct direction. On the actual exam, I drew a compass on my sheet of paper and would flip it around for each question. I think I got about three wrong in total, and it took me 1-3 seconds per answer. This is an easy section once you get the hang of it.

Listening
Absolutely bombed this section. Reading through the forum, this sounded easy, and since it was the day before the exam, I elected not to practice it... Big mistake. The headset they gave me at the exam was crappy, and I couldn't really tell which ear which sound was coming from. Throughout the rest of the exam, the listening would give me trouble. I would definitely suggest practicing this part of the test beforehand.

Throttle/Stick
Very hard. I have never used a throttle and stick for anything before this exam, so this was a new experience for me. The thing that confused me at first was that the throttle is not inverted but the stick is, so I was consistently messing up because of that. I also had this weird idea that if the vertical axis on the stick is inverted, then the horizontal axis should also be inverted, but that wasn't the case and right is still right and left is still left. I knew that from reading it here on the forum, but I still occasionally messed it up. The enemy airplane was also extremely fast and agile while you were slow and rigid no matter how hard or fast you would move the stick. Needless to say, I didn't do particularly well on this part, but I felt like I was getting better with every second that passed. By the end of the exam I was beginning to get the hang of it, and it was actually starting to feel fun. If I took this exam again, I am confident I could do better on this portion at least.

Conclusion
I think I am fine with the score I got, and I probably won't be retaking it. I wish I could have gotten a better pilot score, but whatever. My advice to anyone taking the test: do a lot of practice questions and make sure you review the answers. Don't rely solely on information from information from one book. Also, look through this thread because there is a lot of good information in here that I wish I would have taken advantage of. To be honest I don't know if I'll be applying for OCS at this point, but good luck to those of you who are.

D-lobandzzz

So I took the ASTB March 19, 2019 and my scores we’re 44 5/6/6 I know this is passing but I feel my scores are pretty low . My GPA is 3.67 and I’m a homeland security major I’m still in college and my decision to be in the navy and take the astb was pretty last minute so I can see why my scores would be this . My recuiter thinks I have a good shot considering the high demand for pilots rn . He also told me a guy in the last board was picked up with the same scores I had and his gpa wasn’t nearly as good as mine. What do you guys think ?

Last edited:

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
So I took the ASTB March 19, 2019 and my scores we’re 44 5/6/6 I know this is passing but I feel my scores are pretty low . My GPA is 3.67 and I’m a homeland security major I’m still in college and my decision to be in the navy and take the astb was pretty last minute so I can see why my scores would be this . My recuiter thinks I have a good shot considering the high demand for pilots rn . He also told me a guy in the last board was picked up with the same scores I had and his gpa wasn’t nearly as good as mine. What do you guys think ?
Apply with the scores. If you don’t get picked up, retake the ASTB and reapply. Good luck.

Meyerkord

pilot
Out of curiosity does someone know have brutal NAMI is? I grew up around Naval Aviators and I heard horror stories of a quarter of an OCS class disappears overnight, and those kind of things. My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask. I can go do so in the proper place if needed.
A quarter of your OCS class is a stretch. I think we had 3 out of ~45 aviation candidates re-designate at OCS due to anthros/medical/vision/etc. A few more fell out once we got to Pensacola. One for anthro (had to go from pilot to NFO), another for a long term injury. The numbers are small. Just try to stay healthy and take care of yourself.

Rahul Gupta

If I get the latest study guide, how do I use it to maximize my chances to score well again?
Read through it in it's entirety and buy a notebook and take notes. Personally, I bought a big notebook to take notes of several books and sources. Put down all the exercise questions both easy or hard so that you can build yourself your own ultimate study guide. That's what I did, and can confirm that it works. Also, the best prep book is subjective but I'd give the trivium one a shot or the Barron's 4th edition one. Lastly, go from pg. 1-318 of this forum and take notes.

errantensign

Took the ASTB for the first time this morning in Seattle, scored 61 7/8/7.

General Preparation
I'm a recent MechE major so I didn't spend too much time on any of the OAR sections except brushing up on the math concepts of matrices, probability, and log rules. I borrowed the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests from my local library and did all practice exams (regardless of branch) and used it for the naval history information it provided. Leafed through the FAA handbook but I largely found it too broad and am glad I didn't waste time here.

Best resources for me:
  1. Online flashcards from quizlet or cram. Just search "ASTB" + anything you need.. Example "ASTB ANIT", "ASTB Math", "ASTB aircraft". Best resource IMO. Also, turn off the "written response" type when answering... complete waste of time. Took me an hour to realize you could do this.
  2. NAVEDTRA 14014A (most recent edition) was the most useful Naval Aviation specific material I found. Loved this document.

Math
Nothing out of the ordinary. If you practice enough material and study guides and practices found here/elsewhere you will be fine. Honestly found it pretty easy and only guessed on 1 question. No probability or matrices for me, mostly algebra and word problems.

Reading
Probably my least confident section. Sometimes it seemed none of the answers were suitable and I guessed a few. Best advice is to not assume anything and only infer what you can specifically from the text. Also, it seemed to me there was no indication of number of questions total/remaining and I am a slow test taker and became stressed as time was nearly running out and I still hadn't completed the section. Moral of story: don't get lost in the details.

Mechanical
Harder than any practice test I had taken, still not hard. Less than half of mine was rationalizing a picture/scenario and more of it was wordy/conceptual. Threw me off. Anyhow, I didn't really study for this other than taking the Peterson's online free test to see how I stacked up beforehand (100%).

Aviation/Nautical Information
I spent the majority of my time studying key dates, ship designation/responsibility, aircraft designation/responsibility and general aeronautical/nautical information yet seemed to do the worst on this section. Felt like I only got half of the questions right and guessed on the other half. In summary: study this material hard because even if you missed learning what a forecastle is, maybe a quizlet question was to define the words "fore/aft" and then you can piece yourself together to cross the finish line of where it would be on a ship.

Personality
Boring.

UAV
Draw out the compass rose and do the youtube rotation trick. I was quite practiced and seemingly invincible pre-exam, yet inadvertently answered two wrong in the exam.

Listening
I think this section was quite easy. Just take your time and focus/relax.

Throttle/stick
Had no idea what to expect even after reading/watching about it. Was far harder than I expected and couldn't practice unlimited times! I read long and hard for the option to re-practice but to no avail. Maybe I'm stupid, maybe test has changed. Best advice is to have fun and relax and try not to focus on either the left or right airplane but use your peripherals and watch the 2D plane slightly more if anything.

Misc notes
Remembered the push-up trick after finishing the OAR portion... recommend. Bring a watch to time your break. Write down emergency sequence on paper. Don't waste time reading other people's scores on this website, you're going to score differently so instead of comparing/procrastinating just study more and don't avoid your weaknesses. Huge thanks to this website and all its members. Spent $12 on parking to take the actual exam but $0 on any study materials or practice exams thanks to the generosity of this community. Feel free to reach out with questions.

PDustin

I took ORA few weeks ago, got 52. I am applying for oceanography. How much chance my application get accepted? My recruiter told me I need 45 to 50 to be competitived. Little bit my background, I have a BS Aerospace Engineering with 3.3 GPA (honor graduate from University of Florida). The only downsides are my age (31 year old now), English is not my first language, and I came from a communist country (but I hold US citizen).