• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

KeroK

If anyone would like a Barron's "Military Flight Aptitude Tests" study guide (3rd edition), please PM me. I don't need mine anymore and would prefer to give it to an OCS applicant, instead of just tossing it. The cover has some wear, but the pages are clean with no marks. No cost for the book itself, just the cost to ship it to you. Alternatively, pickup is possible in the San Francisco Bay Area.

pleahy15

49/6/7/7 (OAR/AQR/PFAR/FOFAR) Second Attempt
43 (OAR) First Attempt

I re-tested the OAR yesterday, and took the aviation portion today. I am extremely happy with my scores, and like most people on this site, I would like to share my experiences to help others. I will include at the bottom a google drive that has been passed around that I found extremely helpful. There are other sources and books that I used to study, but I felt that what helped me was looking for as much material as I could. A huge resource for me was Khan Academy. I am a visual learner, and Khan Academy covers anything you could imagine being on the OAR. Finally, by pacing myself and dedicating 1-2 hours a day towards studying (for about 3 months), I felt that I gave myself the opportunity to cover as much ground as possible.

Math Skills Test:

I dedicated the most time towards this section and felt that it paid off. I got mostly arithmetic, word problems, and probability. I did not come across any logarithms or matrices.

Stay calm. Personally, whenever I tried to figure out whether a question was harder than the last one, I would take a breath and try to take each question as they came up.

Reading Skills Test:

I spent very little time studying, and I wish that I had studied more. Like most other things, if you quiz yourself every now and then, you should be fine. Take your time.

Mechanical Comprehension:

Most of the questions that I got were conceptual and a few with numbers. If you search on Cram or Quizlet, there are tons of flashcards that were helpful.

Aviation and Nautical Information:

Again, Cram and Quizlet are great resources. A few questions on evolved aircraft - "What aircraft was refit to refuel aircraft during Operation Iraqi Freedom." I also had one that said, "If a plane was 80lbs overweight, how much fuel would I need to dump in order to correct the issue?" (Gas 6lbs/gal) The nautical questions were more common knowledge than the aircraft.

Spacial Apperception/Performance Based Measures:

For the UAV, I put too much pressure on the time that I answered 3-4 wrong.

For PBM, just take the punches with a smile. During each phase, I would focus on each task as well as I could. Then between each section I would then laugh to myself and do some breathing to relax. As everyone says, write the emergency procedures down. I even folded my paper so it was standing up when I would look down at it.

Extra Advice:
I basically did all the things @dallaslayman suggested in his post. Personally, I over analyze everything. So, trying to take each section, then each question at a time really helped me. Always feel free to ask questions. I owe so much to this forum and this website. Good luck to anyone testing!

Rahul Gupta

does anyone know how to solve this?

log-base x (sq-rt 2) = 1/6

getting lost on how to do this one.
Here you go buddy, view the image below for a step by step solution. To clear any confusion here are the rules I used to solve this problem (I also wrote the rules down on the image attached below). Ask up if you've got anymore questions...:D
  1. log-base a (b) = ln(b)/ln(a)
  2. (x)*log(a) = log(a^x) .....(this rule also applies to the ln function!)
  3. log-base b (f(x)) = log-base b (g(x)) => f(x)=g(x)

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
43 (OAR) First Attempt

I re-tested the OAR yesterday, and took the aviation portion today. I am extremely happy with my scores, and like most people on this site, I would like to share my experiences to help others. I will include at the bottom a google drive that has been passed around that I found extremely helpful. There are other sources and books that I used to study, but I felt that what helped me was looking for as much material as I could. A huge resource for me was Khan Academy. I am a visual learner, and Khan Academy covers anything you could imagine being on the OAR. Finally, by pacing myself and dedicating 1-2 hours a day towards studying (for about 3 months), I felt that I gave myself the opportunity to cover as much ground as possible.

Math Skills Test:

I dedicated the most time towards this section and felt that it paid off. I got mostly arithmetic, word problems, and probability. I did not come across any logarithms or matrices.

Stay calm. Personally, whenever I tried to figure out whether a question was harder than the last one, I would take a breath and try to take each question as they came up.

Reading Skills Test:

I spent very little time studying, and I wish that I had studied more. Like most other things, if you quiz yourself every now and then, you should be fine. Take your time.

Most of the questions that I got were conceptual and a few with numbers. If you search on Cram or Quizlet, there are tons of flashcards that were helpful.

Again, Cram and Quizlet are great resources. A few questions on evolved aircraft - "What aircraft was refit to refuel aircraft during Operation Iraqi Freedom." I also had one that said, "If a plane was 80lbs overweight, how much fuel would I need to dump in order to correct the issue?" (Gas 6lbs/gal) The nautical questions were more common knowledge than the aircraft.

For PBM, just take the punches with a smile. During each phase, I would focus on each task as well as I could. Then between each section I would then laugh to myself and do some breathing to relax. As everyone says, write the emergency procedures down. I even folded my paper so it was standing up when I would look down at it.

Extra Advice:
I basically did all the things @dallaslayman suggested in his post. Personally, I over analyze everything. So, trying to take each section, then each question at a time really helped me. Always feel free to ask questions. I owe so much to this forum and this website. Good luck to anyone testing!

My favorite part of this post is the tri-fold emergency procedures, I did the same haha. Well done Sir & congrats. ??

pleahy15

43 (OAR) First Attempt

Math Skills Test:

Reading Skills Test:

Extra Advice:

ALSO, if the idea of taking the entire test in one day seems daunting, talk to your recruiter about breaking it into two sections. My recruiter suggested that I break it up when we initially talked about it, and I would recommend taking that route if you have the time/patience.

keizero11

43 (OAR) First Attempt

Math Skills Test:

Reading Skills Test:

Extra Advice:

What kind of word problems and probability problems did you see? Did you see any geometry on any of your attempts?

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
ALSO, if the idea of taking the entire test in one day seems daunting, talk to your recruiter about breaking it into two sections. My recruiter suggested that I break it up when we initially talked about it, and I would recommend taking that route if you have the time/patience.

Holy shit you can do that? I think that would make it easier to be honest.

pleahy15

What kind of word problems and probability problems did you see? Did you see any geometry on any of your attempts?
Geometry, I think maybe one or two, but nothing rediculous. I had a question where there was a triangle on a line and I had to find the outside angle based on two angles inside the triangle.

Probability was two of "If Ben rolls 2 die, what are the chances he gets 8 on the first roll?" and one that was something like "If the probability of getting a blue shirt with a black tie is .15 and the probability of getting a blue shirt is .25, what is the probability of getting a black tie?"

As for the rest of the word problems, they were all things that I have seen, or variations of what I've seen, on these practice tests. Hope that helps.

pleahy15

Holy shit you can do that? I think that would make it easier to be honest.
Apparently, everyone that I have talked to has done it in one day. When I went to the OR office, and he told me that I could split it, I was shocked. But I immediately jumped on the opportunity when I heard another OR say that you could do it that way, they just have to be within 30 days of each other.

Osprey98

Went in this morning at 0700 ready to knock out my first attempt only to be informed that the APEX system was down. Pretty disappointing but I can't argue with an extra weekend of study time. I wonder if anyone else had this issue today. I'm in Jacksonville FL

keizero11

Geometry, I think maybe one or two, but nothing rediculous. I had a question where there was a triangle on a line and I had to find the outside angle based on two angles inside the triangle.

Probability was two of "If Ben rolls 2 die, what are the chances he gets 8 on the first roll?" and one that was something like "If the probability of getting a blue shirt with a black tie is .15 and the probability of getting a blue shirt is .25, what is the probability of getting a black tie?"

As for the rest of the word problems, they were all things that I have seen, or variations of what I've seen, on these practice tests. Hope that helps.

How do you solve "If the probability of getting a blue shirt with a black tie is .15 and the probability of getting a blue shirt is .25, what is the probability of getting a black tie?"

I'm getting frustrated with the more "challenging" probability problems.

Last edited:

pleahy15

How do you solve "If the probability of getting a blue shirt with a black tie is .15 and the probability of getting a blue shirt is .25, what is the probability of getting a black tie?"

I'm getting frustrated with the more "challenging" probability problems.
I am not sure if I got it right, so please someone call me out if I am wrong. But I assessed that the probability of getting both is lower than getting each individually. So, I broke it down by seeing that the x*.25=.15. So x=.15/.25, and x=.6. Again, I could be off but that was my thought process.