• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

srichar1

Taking the ASTB Jan 25th. Quick question regarding the UAV section (may have already been asked just couldn't find it in the forums): What direction is the drone or red dot going? Is the object going West or East? All the answers I've been getting from the flashcards would assume this object is heading East, but it is a little deceiving for me since the questions before this had a little red arrow showing which direction the aircraft is heading.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.19.13 PM.png

Meyerkord

pilot
Taking the ASTB Jan 25th. Quick question regarding the UAV section (may have already been asked just couldn't find it in the forums): What direction is the drone or red dot going? Is the object going West or East? All the answers I've been getting from the flashcards would assume this object is heading East, but it is a little deceiving for me since the questions before this had a little red arrow showing which direction the aircraft is heading.

View attachment 20747
The tip of the yellow triangle is the direction the dot is heading. So in this picture, the dot is moving from left to right. Think of it like the tip of an arrow. The arrow points where the dot is moving.

thechosenfire

Hello
I just came out of the ASTB test today. My scores were 55 7/8/7.

Background: Mechanical engineering major, 3rd year
30 hours ish of private pilot lessons.

My first two attempts I scored around 55 5/5/6 ish both times. I was only using the barren's book I purchased on amazon.
This third try I spent hours sifting through this discussion looking for all the resources I could find. After spending hours and hours of skimming, I studied and skimmed all of the material I had collected.
I have inserted links below to the majority of the material I have found. They are links to google drives which have been created by other users.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qHP7UgdlcG_8MWka5XnTuNGl4Q-hqL3b
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zCfQ7iTsFBRKJzH8shh2gs7SK15cv2sM
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yF6a44EmkonbPCXAlR-W2w-GGjcSu_uV
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s0TFbrfix-01JR_nBtxMF2pfE7mo3Apm

A few suggestions for those prepping to take it, I highly encourage you all to get a good night sleep before the test. This made the biggest difference in my ability to focus hard on the test during the time I was doing it. The first two attempts were while my semester was still going and had a ton of other things going on at the same time (especially since I am majoring in mechanical engineering) so I really didn't have much time to sit down and purely focus on the test when studying for it.
In addition to that, I highly suggest using the compass trick for the uav portion, trust me. And when you are allowed to practice the uav during the test, take advantage of that. I spent around 20 minutes going over the practice before entering the actual test in the apex software.
Finally, for me, it took me two tests to figure out by reading this discussion which number corresponds with the trigger and clutch button during the listening portion. When I did the test all 3 times, it skipped right past the instruction that showed which is which and straight into the test. If it wasn't for this discussion, I still wouldn't know which is which. For those who may encounter this issue, even numbers are trigger, odd are clutch. That is all I will say.

Cheers

Semper Fi

OrcinusOrca

Hello all! Have been following this forum since 2017, but today took the 1st steps. I am interested in crypto and intel, so I only to the OAR.

Background: I have degrees in Electrical (BS 3.3 GPA) and Computer (MS 3.68 GPA) Engineering. I am currently a Navy civilian but looking to do more. Am interested in cyber security. I am 24 but will be 25 next month. No prior service, would be first in my family.

Score: 57

As someone who HATES standardized exams (I spent 3 years building up the courage to take this exam), here's what I did:
Practice, I knew the material, but was not good at mental math (thanks higher education!) I went through the gouge on here from the very first page, just pulling links. Unfortunately, the old ones are broken but many others were nice enough to provided newer links. I studied an hour a day for 6 weeks (did not study the week of Christmas). The week before I did one practice test a day. I bought the Barron's book, the Master the Officer Candidates book, the Arco GRE book, and the Peterson's. I also purchased those little yellow GRE math and reading books.

The test was down a bunch too. We had to stop and close it at one point. Don't panic! It saves your progress! If anything, the lag let me mentally breath before the next question!

Math: One matrix problem (just know how to add 'em), D=RT (a bunch!), simplifying exponents like 16^(-3/4), basic volume geometry, the cost of business with two companies. Struggling to remember the rest. No logs, or geometry.

Reading: For me, the hardest section as I am not a reader. I definitely struggled here as the questions and answers got very easy, meaning it brought down my score. : ( I just had my fingers on the screen so I could compare words/phrases from the question to the answers to find any contradictions. People said it's all military but no, I got some science ones and one about mountains in there too. Do not hesitate to speak out loud. I was in a room alone so I read the passages aloud and even talked to myself during the other two sections.

Mechanical: I believe I did do well here, as I got the nuclear question (hint it talks about rods and reactors). My background is in EE, so the electrical questions were a breeze. As an EE, I can only suggest memorizing V=IR (and units -- I was asked this!) and understanding resistors, as from my experience they don't ask about capacitors or inductors. I memorized mechanical advantage and levers, but were not on the test. A lot to do with pendulums though and kinetic energy. Understand that a force in the x direction will not necessarily affect a force in the y direction (like a boat going perpendicular while being dragged downstream or a bullet being shot vs dropping a bullet) I was also literally asked to provide the equations for power and work as two separate questions.

Overall, was hoping to break 60 but the recruiter says I'm competitive. The board is in April so now just trying to get all the paperwork together. Lemme know what you think!

Last edited:

srichar1

Hello
I just came out of the ASTB test today. My scores were 55 7/8/7.

Background: Mechanical engineering major, 3rd year
30 hours ish of private pilot lessons.

My first two attempts I scored around 55 5/5/6 ish both times. I was only using the barren's book I purchased on amazon.
This third try I spent hours sifting through this discussion looking for all the resources I could find. After spending hours and hours of skimming, I studied and skimmed all of the material I had collected.
I have inserted links below to the majority of the material I have found. They are links to google drives which have been created by other users.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qHP7UgdlcG_8MWka5XnTuNGl4Q-hqL3b
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zCfQ7iTsFBRKJzH8shh2gs7SK15cv2sM
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yF6a44EmkonbPCXAlR-W2w-GGjcSu_uV
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s0TFbrfix-01JR_nBtxMF2pfE7mo3Apm

A few suggestions for those prepping to take it, I highly encourage you all to get a good night sleep before the test. This made the biggest difference in my ability to focus hard on the test during the time I was doing it. The first two attempts were while my semester was still going and had a ton of other things going on at the same time (especially since I am majoring in mechanical engineering) so I really didn't have much time to sit down and purely focus on the test when studying for it.
In addition to that, I highly suggest using the compass trick for the uav portion, trust me. And when you are allowed to practice the uav during the test, take advantage of that. I spent around 20 minutes going over the practice before entering the actual test in the apex software.
Finally, for me, it took me two tests to figure out by reading this discussion which number corresponds with the trigger and clutch button during the listening portion. When I did the test all 3 times, it skipped right past the instruction that showed which is which and straight into the test. If it wasn't for this discussion, I still wouldn't know which is which. For those who may encounter this issue, even numbers are trigger, odd are clutch. That is all I will say.

Cheers

Semper Fi

Thanks for the quick links! I have my exam Jan 25th. Do you use a Saitek Joystick? And when you say trigger and clutch what do you mean exactly?

Rahul Gupta

A bit random but as I was studying for my second attempt at the ASTB-E, I just remembered that I saw a doppler effect question in the MCT secn. Please read this small article about the topic https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae26.cfm

The question was something like: The ambulance is approaching the observer, is the pitch increasing or decreasing? Obviously, it is increasing since it's approaching you it gets louder (think of when you were approached by a cop car, fire truck or ambi...it got louder). The science is as the truck approaches you the observer, the wavelength b/t the sound-wave and you decreases and, thus, the pitch increases (noise is louder)!

Again, super random but it's my 0.02 in case any of you get this question on the test (did not see anything in the guides about doppler effect and relied on knowledge from my physics class to answer it).

OrcinusOrca

A bit random but as I was studying for my second attempt at the ASTB-E, I just remembered that I saw a doppler effect question in the MCT secn. Please read this small article about the topic https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae26.cfm

The question was something like: The ambulance is approaching the observer, is the pitch increasing or decreasing? Obviously, it is increasing since it's approaching you it gets louder (think of when you were approached by a cop car, fire truck or ambi...it got louder). The science is as the truck approaches you the observer, the wavelength b/t the sound-wave and you decreases and, thus, the pitch increases (noise is louder)!

Again, super random but it's my 0.02 in case any of you get this question on the test (did not see anything in the guides about doppler effect and relied on knowledge from my physics class to answer it).

I got that question. I assumed based on experience that it was louder as it comes toward you.

Meyerkord

pilot
The science is as the truck approaches you the observer, the wavelength b/t the sound-wave and you decreases and, thus, the pitch increases (noise is louder)!
I got that question. I assumed based on experience that it was louder as it comes toward you.
Even though you both ended up with the right answer, the Doppler effect actually isn't referring to the volume of the noise, it's referring to the pitch. Pitch is not the same as volume. Here's a video on Doppler effect that does a good job explaining it:

Rahul Gupta

Even though you both ended up with the right answer, the Doppler effect actually isn't referring to the volume of the noise, it's referring to the pitch. Pitch is not the same as volume. Here's a video on Doppler effect that does a good job explaining it:
Aaahhh...I see so the frequency of the sound-waves increases as it approaches the observer, thus, the reason for the louder noise and inc. in pitch. Also, the wavelength is smaller as the sound wave approaches you versus when it travels away from you. Thank you, that clears it up.

bridgette922

Hi first time poster,

I took the OAR today and got a 49. Feeling pretty discouraged/disappointed in the score because I knew I would need 50 to do intelligence and am now basically kicking myself. I’m thinking I’ll just study more and take the test again. I studied a lot of the google drive provided here. Trying to decide if I should just go SWO and not restest again. Or maybe do a waiver for the score. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also B.S. is in Cyber Security, GPA 3.7
Navy reserve 7 years- rate AME

srichar1

Just took that ASTB for the first time on Friday (1/25) I studied for about a week prior and reviewed some basic concepts. I'm 22 years old and in my last semester of college studying business with a 3.10 GPA. I'm applying for Naval Aviator (pilot) not NFO. I scored a 44 5/8/7. My recruiter said its competitive enough to not need to retest. After looking through this forum I see many applicants scoring 55+ and 8/8/8 across the board. Do you guys think I should retest or keep the scores and see what the board says?

Bruce_Almighty

Just took that ASTB for the first time on Friday (1/25) I studied for about a week prior and reviewed some basic concepts. I'm 22 years old and in my last semester of college studying business with a 3.10 GPA. I'm applying for Naval Aviator (pilot) not NFO. I scored a 44 5/8/7. My recruiter said its competitive enough to not need to retest. After looking through this forum I see many applicants scoring 55+ and 8/8/8 across the board. Do you guys think I should retest or keep the scores and see what the board says?

I’m applying with a 45 6/8/6. I have precious flying experience and 3.5 gpa so it might be different with me. With your age, time is not critical. I would apply to get your first look at it. It gets your first look and if you don’t get picked up. Retest if you feel like you can do better. If that was your first score, try with it. That’s my opinion.

srichar1

I’m applying with a 45 6/8/6. I have precious flying experience and 3.5 gpa so it might be different with me. With your age, time is not critical. I would apply to get your first look at it. It gets your first look and if you don’t get picked up. Retest if you feel like you can do better. If that was your first score, try with it. That’s my opinion.
Thank you for the advice!