• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

rckmorty123

wow, thanks that really helped to clear things a little. I messed up the first time around and looking to take the test on December 2018 sometime. Did you just practice math problems using the gauges here or did you have a particular book that you went to always Any (same w/ mechanical comp) recommendations?

Thanks, man. My GPA's a piece of crap 2.57 for Electrical Engineering. To be honest with you, I focused more on getting jobs, internships, and practical experience in the real world than in-class bookwork, so my GPA reflects that, but my resume is loaded.

For my second round, school was already in session, so I didn't have much time to study. I'll be up-front with you, the night before the test, I should have gone to bed earlier, but I was up until 3am just dicking around. Bad move. My test was scheduled for 11am, so I woke up at 8am and CRAMMED and skimmed all my study guides for about 2 hours. By some miracle, I was able to pull it off. I'd like to tell you that I properly set aside time every day, ate right, slept well, and did all of these great things, but that's just not the case, and I know that what I did won't work for everyone.

In short, don't do what I did. I honestly think the first time around, I was just so scared that I couldn't think right. 2nd time around, I was more familiar with what to expect. Any more questions, let me know!

CHOPS_avn

Winged: 10 FEB 2023
pilot
wow, thanks that really helped to clear things a little. I messed up the first time around and looking to take the test on December 2018 sometime. Did you just practice math problems using the gauges here or did you have a particular book that you went to always Any (same w/ mechanical comp) recommendations?

For math, all I did was practice problems wherever I could get them. So yeah, I used the stuff from this thread for practice as well as the ASTB books by Trivium, Aegis, and Test Prep. I didn't focus on any book in particular, just used all equally.

For mech comp, it was the same situation. Online study guides from here as well as using books for practice problems ONLY. Like I said, don't use the books to explain concepts. Use the internet for that.

Scimitarze

Automated Member
For math, all I did was practice problems wherever I could get them. So yeah, I used the stuff from this thread for practice as well as the ASTB books by Trivium, Aegis, and Test Prep. I didn't focus on any book in particular, just used all equally.

For mech comp, it was the same situation. Online study guides from here as well as using books for practice problems ONLY. Like I said, don't use the books to explain concepts. Use the internet for that.
In your opinion, which resource had the math problems that matched the test difficulty the most? I've read a majority of this thread by now, and most people say that the test questions were more advanced than the ones in the practice guides.

I imagine a ACT or other collegiate level math prep book might suffice, no?

I took the ASTB on October 10 and got a 45 4/4/5. Now, this is going to sound like I'm trying to not own up to my scores, but something really weird happened during the math portion. It kicked me out after only 7 questions with about 45 minutes left. I went to my proctor to fix it, but the testing center in Pensacola had been evacuated due to the hurricane so there was nothing we could do. However, the pilot scores were all me! That was hard! However, to be honest, being kicked out of my math threw me off and an active duty lady came in the room where I was taking the test and made coffee! Definitely unprofessional and I made sure to mention this to my recruiter. So please bring earplugs, just in case those at the testing center are disrespectful! I'm taking the ASTB again next week and much more confident that a fluke like that will not happen again. I also have been disqualified for piloting due to my eyesight so the only score I care about is the OAR, because I'm applying for SWO. With my 3.64 GPA and a presumed OAR score of over 50, I feel confident about my chances. Good luck everyone!

hossaq

I took my ASTB mid-August. I was already MEPS cleared at that point and put in my packet for November '18 board about a week after my ASTB.
ASTB: 64 8/7/9
GPA: 3.1 Chemical Engineering graduating 2019 August (at a school known to deflate GPA heavily)
About 2 weeks after putting in the packet, my recruiter called me that I was selected to auto selection. I haven't gotten a final decision or any update at all since then. My recruiter isn't even returning my calls. Should I be worried? With graduation so close, I really want to sort this out. Any help or input is much appreciated. Thanks!!!

P.S. cross-posted

Meyerkord

pilot
I took my ASTB mid-August. I was already MEPS cleared at that point and put in my packet for November '18 board about a week after my ASTB.
GPA: 3.1 Chemical Engineering graduating 2019 August (at a school known to deflate GPA heavily)
About 2 weeks after putting in the packet, my recruiter called me that I was selected to auto selection. I haven't gotten a final decision or any update at all since then. My recruiter isn't even returning my calls. Should I be worried? With graduation so close, I really want to sort this out. Any help or input is much appreciated. Thanks!!!

P.S. cross-posted
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll get a FINSEL until you graduate or are close to your graduation date. Not really much you can do right now if you already have a PROREC-Y and haven't graduated yet.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

P.S. cross-posted

You won’t your final select letter until you graduate and your final transcripts are submitted.

Took my first pass at the ASTB a few days ago. Scored a 50 6/7/7. I'm a little disappointed, but I leave for a 3-month internship abroad before my 90 days are up and the recruiter said my 3.96 GPA gives me a good shot at NFO/SWO, so I don't currently plan on retaking and am going to shoot for the February board.

Math: I didn't see any logs or calc problems, which made me nervous because I know the test is supposed to be adaptive. I had a bunch of stuff involving fractions, cube roots, and successive discounts. It kicked me out with 20 minutes left, so either I sucked badly enough or did well enough that it decided it had enough info.

Reading: Weirder than AP Lang was in high school, and I hated AP Lang. Which answer is more correct than the other three correct answers? Which answer is least wrong out of the other three wrong answers? Lots of passages with Navy terminology probably designed to be confusing/boring. A few passages about science phenomena and one random literature excerpt. This one also kicked me out early.

Mechanical: This was the section I was probably the most disappointed with, because I studied a lot and thought I was going to do okay. Yet I barely saw any of the concepts from the gouges I used, and I ended up guessing more than I wanted to. A few questions I remember were how many newtons of force were needed to pull a weight up using a pulley system, d1*w1=d2*w2, and the mathematical equation for power.

ANIT: More questions on history than anything else. This is probably why this area was a 6 for me, because history was my weakest area. Which of these planes were used in this operation, etc. A few questions on which parts of the plane control which movements (What movement does the rudder control? Answer: Yawing).

UAV: Definitely use these flashcards. The trick is to draw out a diagram of the parking lot on a piece of scrap paper and label them A,B,C, and D like the flashcards do. For each question, rotate the diagram so that the 'A' parking lot is pointed in the same direction as your heading. N,S,E,W stays the same. The parking lot on the actual test doesn't have the lots labeled, so after figuring out which letter was correct on my diagram I correlated it with where that letter would be on the actual parking lot. I can explain that more if it doesn't make sense to anyone. My average time was about 3 seconds to respond.

NATFI: Someone on here said it before, but I'll say it again: You don't take the NATFI. The NATFI takes you.

PBM: Holy balls. I had never touched a joystick or throttle in my life before the day of the test, so I'm shocked that my score here was decent. Listening, tracking with the throttle and tracking with the joystick were okay, though I got confused as to which way was up/down. Tracking both at once felt like a shit show; tracking both at once and listening felt like death itself. I was the definition of winging it a good 90% of the time. Definitely write down the emergency procedures, even if you end up not using them. I wasn't positive on one of the situations and I'm glad I had a copy of the instructions to glance at. I pulled all three off without dying.

At the very least this is one huge hurdle out of the way. I'm going to focus on the rest of my packet now and hope for the best. Thank you to everyone who took the time to put these gouges together!!

Attachments

• 201337_Diplomacy_Center_FreshWaterCrisis_Intermediate.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 102
  • Air Warriors Study Material.docx.pdf
    193.4 KB · Views: 103
  • ASTBmechanical (1).pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 107
  • ASTBgouge.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 89
  • NAVEDTRA 14014 (1).pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 63
  • barron-prac-astb-test.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 78
  • ASTB additional study material.pdf
    630 KB · Views: 86
Hey all, I'm sure this has been covered in this forum at some point but I'm having trouble with the satellite image UAV questions. For the flashcards that everyone uses, there's a satellite image, and a red dot with a yellow triangle coming off of it. I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to get my heading from that ? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Meyerkord

pilot
Hey all, I'm sure this has been covered in this forum at some point but I'm having trouble with the satellite image UAV questions. For the flashcards that everyone uses, there's a satellite image, and a red dot with a yellow triangle coming off of it. I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to get my heading from that ? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, whichever way the arrow is pointing needs to be your new "north", then use whatever direction it's asking for to find the right parking lot.

Last edited:

jacksonbus

Took my first OAR and got a 45 with no study time. Studying 3-4hrs a day for the past month and taking my next one in the beginning of December. My goal is definitely mid-50s. My background is a 3.0 gpa in Business and Finance, and going for supply. Plenty of material on this site has helped and I'll keep y'all updated for sure, good luck to everyone that's applying!

jboliver08

Does anyone have an idea on which sections weigh the most for NFO? I know that they all play a factor into the final score, but I'm curious on which sections weigh more in particular. This question may have been asked before, but for some reason I can't come across it and I'm taking my test for the third time on Monday.

Meyerkord

pilot
Does anyone have an idea on which sections weigh the most for NFO? I know that they all play a factor into the final score, but I'm curious on which sections weigh more in particular. This question may have been asked before, but for some reason I can't come across it and I'm taking my test for the third time on Monday.
Looks like Math.

Per https://www.usnavy.vt.edu/documents/astboverview.pdf:

The following general guidance is offered to assist examinees in preparing for an ASTB test or retest.
  • Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.
  • Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the greatest contribution is made by the Aviation & Nautical Info and Spatial Apperception Tests.
  • Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.
  • Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): This score is affected by performance on the first three subtests, Math Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Mechanical Comprehension.

prestonaz

What is this abomination... I can't even begin to understand what you were attempting to do.
Why did you arbitrarily set up the supplement as X-20 and why is the angle 4X, what even is X to begin with? What?
You are looking for an angle that is 20 degrees less than 4 times its supplement. This angle, let's call it X, is 20 LESS than 4 TIMES the supplement
So, X = 4Y-20, where Y is the supplement. We know X and Y have to add up to 180 because they are supplements so Y=180-X.
And so we substitute this in for Y in our first equation so we can have everything in terms. of X. X = 4(180-X) - 20.
If we simplify this we get that X = 140 and Y, the supplementary angle, is 40. Cool, they add up to 180.
We know this is correct because X, the angle that we are looking for, is 20 less than 4 times its supplement, 40. (40 times 4 equals 160 minus 20 equals 140, X!!!)
You're rude

johnferry

Hey guys. I found some good video links that go over multiplying matrices, fractional exponents, and finding the sum for an arithmetic series. These kinds of questions really caught me off guard when I first took the test a couple days ago:

*HOW TO MULTIPLY MATRICIES*:
*HOW TO ADD/SUBTRACT FRANCTION EXPONENTS*:
*FINDING SUM FOR ARITHMATIC SERIES *: