• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

mb1685

Hey @mb1685 thanks for the feed back great feed back. How is the emergency scenario correctly played out. I remember doing it and it felt like nothing I did made a difference in the fire emergency. Ive seen some people say write the procedures down.
When I clicked the specific buttons it made no difference the fuel gauge didnt go up and the fire didnt go out...?
Perhaps im remembering it incorrectly. I took it about 8 months ago.

My bad, I forgot that you had already taken the test before.

I don't remember anything peculiar about the emergency procedures. They seemed to work fine for me. On one of them I was a little slow and I think I remember the screen starting to turn red and then it went back to normal once I executed the correct actions. I believe if you don't execute one correctly for long enough, the test will actually stop (almost like a "game over" screen).

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I'm starting to build my package (not yet finished) and want to hear some opinions on my competitiveness. I'll be applying for nfo and swo.
ASTB - 56 6/7/6.
Aviation major - 2.92 gpa.
Commercial pilot (airplane multi-land, single-land, instrument).
LORs O5 USAFR Flight Surgeon for NASA/past professor, E7 USAF (retired)/Retired ATC supervisor/past prof.

Last edited:

Armitage

Hey @Armitage and @Josh Berto
Good Job on your scores and good luck Josh.
Would either of you be able to advise, how many options do they give for the multiple choice for the math, reading comp and mech. Im using GMAT & GRE Critical reasoning stuff for it and practicing with a stick and throttle for the dichotic and for the PBM Game (Follow the yellow planes). I managed to make a simulated version of it on powerpoint just using the animation feature to practice the game portion. I just need to figure out how to use my joystick as an inverted mouse and that might work for practice.
Well best of luck to the both of yous.
Mo

I believe that there were 5 options for the math, but I'm not sure at this point. GMAT review books are definitely pretty close to what you'll get with the ASTB math. The only math problem that really threw me a loop was one that asked you how to express a number in something other than base 10. So it might be a good idea to memorize up to 10 in binary, base 4, and hex. Although that could be overdoing it, I only got one question on it.

To practice for the PBM I just bought a pretty low lever joystick with a throttle and played a free game called warbirds while distracting myself by doing things like reciting the alphabet backwards and other nonsense. Not sure if this helped, or if you should even bother practicing for the PBM as others have said. But write the emergency procedures down, I was able to 'fix' the emergency procedures before the screen ever turned red purely because of this.

Hello everyone.
I am new to this site and looking to start studying for the ASTB-E test. I noticed a few sites by glancing through the pages and looks like good info. Any advice where to start? I purchased the study guide book off Amazon. Any opinions on that?
Thank you all in advance.
-Josh

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Hello everyone.
I am new to this site and looking to start studying for the ASTB-E test. I noticed a few sites by glancing through the pages and looks like good info. Any advice where to start? I purchased the study guide book off Amazon. Any opinions on that?
-Josh

What I did was read through this thread and the ASTB-E Impressions one and downloaded all the gouge that everyone posted, IMO I think the stuff on here is more useful than the Accerpted Inc book (if that was the one you bought). I would also recommend buying the Barron's book because it has 2 very good practice tests in it.

Mo_Avi

Hello everyone.
-Josh
Hey Josh
There is a lot of great info on this site. I took the ASTB a while ago and didn't do to hot. Bu i didn't study to well either.For the OAR Math and Reading I am using GRE Princeton review 2016 and Manhattan alb book of GRE problems also I have this GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible by power score. I also have the accepted ASTB-E book and the ARCO Military flight aptitude test. For Mechancal I'm using the Accepted, and ARCO book as well as this Barrons mechinal aptitude book and I just picked up one of my old college physics book. Im going to use this more than the last two i mentioned. There is a UAV flash card set on this forum for the UAV section. For ANIT I'm just picking stuff up from some of the books i mentioned as well as this flash car set on Cram.com or proprofs one of the two; just type astb ANIT in the search. Um and for the PBM i remade the game on power point using the animation feature to move the plane around the slide. I configured my joystick to control the mouse and I follow the moving plane in game with my joystick. Um I recorded my voice saying random letters and numbers. And i used garage band to select what is played in the left and right ear. So I always hear different numbers an letters in each ear. I use the joystick and my throttle to practice hitting the button for even and odd numbers heard in the selected ear i am testing. And sometimes I combine the game and the hearing as it is done one the actual test. This is just what I'm using to study for the test. I don't know if it is going to all work yet as I haven't taken the test again yet. Im sure some other people have some other methods too.
Best of luck.
Mo

Nguyen

Hey everyone,

What good websites can I use to study for my Astb? I've been studying the Astb-e book and flashcards I found online. What else can I study to prepare myself for math and especially the mechanical comprehension area?

Thank you!

Brendan Crouch

So I took the ASTB today and received 57 7/7/7 This was my second time taking it. A little about me I am an International Studies major with a 3.7 GPA enrolled in a college ROTC program. I am applying for both pilot and NFO. IS there anything more I can do? How well do I stand? Any advice would be appreciated.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
So I took the ASTB today and received 57 7/7/7 This was my second time taking it. A little about me I am an International Studies major with a 3.7 GPA enrolled in a college ROTC program. I am applying for both pilot and NFO. IS there anything more I can do? How well do I stand? Any advice would be appreciated.

To answer "how well you stand", check out this thread. The stats were from 2013 but I found them useful as a baseline. I personally think your scores are solid -- good job! Your GPA is awesome! But let's see what the others think :)
https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/what-nrc-considers-competitive.41212/

You can also begin finding individuals who will write you a strong letter of recommendations. Not quite sure if it's the same but I'd imagine the board would like letters that describe not just the work you've done for them but also about you as an individual. I noticed that you're in ROTC so perhaps your CO would write you a good one. In my experience, I've always asked those who knew me for at least a year and ones that I consistently keep in contact with (visited them during office hours or in my case, take care of their kids). These letters were for research programs and scholarships.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
Hey everyone,

What good websites can I use to study for my Astb? I've been studying the Astb-e book and flashcards I found online. What else can I study to prepare myself for math and especially the mechanical comprehension area?

Thank you!

If you send me a PM I can send you a compressed file that contains multiple study guides that I've found on this forum. It isn't everything but it's a worth a shot!

Parkside

First of all, I wanna say thank you to everybody on this thread and any other; your insight and feedback about the test was immensely helpful! I'll get around to posting an outline of my testing experience, what I studied, etc. but for now, scores: 69 8/8/8

Thank god that is over.

Parkside

@cdespres99 I would say those math questions do a good job of showing you what some of the more difficult problems on the test might look like. I had some that were much easier than those, and some that were definitely harder. My final question before being cut off (after about 15 questions) was one regarding infinite series, which is definitely a college level algebra/calculus topic. I have a strong math background, so maybe I was just doing well enough to warrant the more difficult ones. I would recommend getting comfortable with the stuff you referenced.

cdespres99

@cdespres99 I would say those math questions do a good job of showing you what some of the more difficult problems on the test might look like. I had some that were much easier than those, and some that were definitely harder. My final question before being cut off (after about 15 questions) was one regarding infinite series, which is definitely a college level algebra/calculus topic. I have a strong math background, so maybe I was just doing well enough to warrant the more difficult ones. I would recommend getting comfortable with the stuff you referenced.
Thanks for the reply Parkside. That's pretty helpful because I've seen problems ranging from high level algebra to "how many degrees in a triangle" so I wanted to be sure I was studying the right stuff, obviously.