• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Good morning brothers and sisters,

So I am expecting to take my ASTB later next week and would like to thank everyone for their input with the flash cards, gouges and other study material. So I spoke to my OSO and he mentioned that we are not scored on the OAR for the Marines. Is this true? Do I need to shift my final focus from the math, physics, etc. to simply just the aviation and nautical information?

TimLee

Just finished my ASTB, and I did pretty horrible, but to be fair it was different taking it online versus a paper version. I say this because from what I've read, you're penalized for wrong answers rather than leaving no answer (similar to the SAT). Additionally, there was no going back to check answers, etc.

From the paper exams that I studied and did, I didn't expect that I would be using a throttle and flight stick, so that took me off guard, and so did a few other things regarding flight, etc.
The only part I took seriously was the OAR portion, not the aviation, since I was told that it wouldn't be applicable to me unless I was doing Aviation. While I did do poorly, I did learn about what's needed the next time I take it, so I see it as a plus as I can work on a better score and learn from my mistakes.

OAR 42
AQR 1
PFAR 1
FOFR 1

If anyone could offer insight to my scores, I'd gladly accept them and any advice on where I should move onto now.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Just finished my ASTB, and I did pretty horrible, but to be fair it was different taking it online versus a paper version. I say this because from what I've read, you're penalized for wrong answers rather than leaving no answer (similar to the SAT). Additionally, there was no going back to check answers, etc.

From the paper exams that I studied and did, I didn't expect that I would be using a throttle and flight stick, so that took me off guard, and so did a few other things regarding flight, etc.
The only part I took seriously was the OAR portion, not the aviation, since I was told that it wouldn't be applicable to me unless I was doing Aviation. While I did do poorly, I did learn about what's needed the next time I take it, so I see it as a plus as I can work on a better score and learn from my mistakes.

OAR 42
AQR 1
PFAR 1
FOFR 1

If anyone could offer insight to my scores, I'd gladly accept them and any advice on where I should move onto now.

A wrong answer is a wrong answer, a blank answer is a wrong answer.

The new test is adaptive so for example the questions get harder until you get one wrong, then you get an easier one, it that is right, then you get a harder one until you get one wrong again

exNavyOffRec

Can you take the OAR and ASTB-E at separate times?

yes, it is called a test merge, it isn't difficult, but it is generally done for people that after taking the OAR decide to go for aviation, it is better to take it in one shot as sometimes test administrators don't want to mess with it.

USSMaximus

Oh shoot! So if I don't take it within 90 days, then I have to do the whole thing over? I'm in a bit of a predicament. I didn't get selected for SWO this past board. If I had to guess, it would be because my OAR was 46. I only have 1 retake left, so I don't know if I should risk it. I also wanted to put in an application for aviation this time too, so that's why I asked. So I guess it's either retake everything, or keep it and resubmit?

exNavyOffRec

Oh shoot! So if I don't take it within 90 days, then I have to do the whole thing over? I'm in a bit of a predicament. I didn't get selected for SWO this past board. If I had to guess, it would be because my OAR was 46. I only have 1 retake left, so I don't know if I should risk it. I also wanted to put in an application for aviation this time too, so that's why I asked. So I guess it's either retake everything, or keep it and resubmit?

I forgot to mention that 90 day window

Some of the people getting no's had a higher GPA than you, so it very well could have been GPA, but retaking gives you a chance to resubmit sooner, you are in a tough spot since if your OAR goes down you could end up not being eligible for SWO, study and see if you feel comfortable retaking.

KORhc

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm having trouble understanding why the answer to this question is 20
-2²[(-4-6⁰)(5-3⁰)] ÷ |-6|-[-(-2)]
The only possible way for it to be 20 from how i see it is if there was a parenthesis from the absolute value of -6 to the end of the bracket. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Also for those who are looking for good practice, this is one of the websites I am using in preparing for my next ASTB test.
http://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-math-skills-test-mst-comprehensive-4754660

KORhc

Sorry, this is another question that stumped me.
Assume the probability of having a boy is 50% and a girl is 50%. If a family has four children, what is the probability the family has at least two girls?
Does anyone know a set formula for probability problems like this? I've searched everywhere for an explanation for every step, but was not able to find any solutions giving step by step instructions.

HannahMM

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm having trouble understanding why the answer to this question is 20
The only possible way for it to be 20 from how i see it is if there was a parenthesis from the absolute value of -6 to the end of the bracket. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Also for those who are looking for good practice, this is one of the websites I am using in preparing for my next ASTB test.

I've worked it out a couple of times and continually get -20. Mind you, I'm no mathematician.

Took the ASTB on Friday for the first time and got 62 8/9/8. Studied for a couple weeks on and off. I’m certain that anyone can get scores like me if you study the right way. I was planning on applying to the Navy and the Air Force at the same time and took the AFOQT in May and got an awful score, 76(pilot)/48(navigator)/41(math)/21(English)/31(academic aptitude). When I studied for the AFOQT, I primarily did practice tests from study guides and online (which ended up not being the right way for me to do well). For the ASTB, I used the Barons 3rd edition military fight aptitude test book and the ASTB-E accepted inc. book. Barons study guide was way better than the accepted inc book (goes into more detail and explains all answers). When studying, I read every page of each section that was going to be on the test, even if I thought it was something I already knew, and took notes. Taking notes while I read the books, the personal study guide on airwarriors, and any other study resource was the best decision I made. It’s really easy to let your eyes glaze over and not take in any of the information you’re reading. I never went back and looked at the notes, it’s just a really good way to make sure that you’re engaged in the reading and helps make the information stick with you. I ran out of time in the math, reading, and mechanical section. Aviation and nautical ended after 8 minutes.

Math:

Multiplying fractions, averages word problems, log question, probability of a certain number being rolled with two dice, which numbers are perfect numbers (6, 28, 496, 8128 I believe), a few fractional exponents. Did NOT get matrix multiplication. Make sure you go over even simple algebraic expressions, for example 2x/7=2x^2 and know how to solve for x. I forgot to go over simple stuff like that and it took me a couple minutes to figure it out. I ran out of time, but I was more concerned about making sure I got the right answer. Khan Academy is a great website to learn concepts you’re not sure of.

Reading:

One question per passage. Passages were not as long as I thought they would be. Some were 3-4 sentences and some were more like 8, which is still not a lot. There isn’t questions after you read the passage (What is the theme of this passage?), just four answer options and you pick the one that applies to the passage you just read. If the answer choice is not said specifically in the passage, even if it makes sense logically, it is not the right answer! Using process of elimination is most useful in this section. Read an answer, and if it not specifically stated in the passage you know it’s not the right answer. https://crunchprep.com/gre-reading-comprehension-guide, I read this the night before the test. Ran out of time in this section.

Mechanical:

A couple simple pulley questions. If two barrels are filled with same liquid at different temperature what one floats higher. It gave three different temperatures in different units (Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin) and asked which one was the highest temperature. A few questions on electricity and circuits. Units of resistance (ohm) and how it affects current. If a rocket goes up at a certain acceleration, how high will it go. Velocity of a ball at different points of its flight path when hit by a baseball bat. Study this section in the books and the resources on this site. Ran out of time again.

Aviation and nautical:

Just as much nautical information as aviation information. Know parts of the ship (beam, bulkhead, etc). Know about the pitot tube on an airplane. Didn’t get any history questions surprisingly. Study books and info on here. There was a few random questions that would be very hard to study for so just know as much as you can. Section finished after 8 minutes.

UAV:

Study flashcards (The one where it shoes the real world map with the cone showing the direction of plane, not the ones were it shoes the heading with an arrow on a compass) http://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=_36014. I got one wrong on the test. My average must have been at least 5 seconds per question.

Joystick, throttle and listening:

Joystick is inverted in y-axis. I went in with the mindset that it was going to be the worst thing ever and to not worry if I thought I was doing bad but I actually was able to do a decent job keeping the cursor on the target. It gets pretty crazy when you have to be doing three things at once and everything is just going all over the place but just stay as focused as you can. I hit the power off button on the monitor screen with the joystick when I pushed it forward (was freaking out for a second), but luckily I was right at the end of that section so it didn’t last more than a couple seconds. When the emergency scenario came, I wrote down how to correct each scenario. When the emergency came during the test, I stopped tracking the target with the joystick and throttle and fixed the emergency as fast as I could and then continued tracking and I scored pretty well.

I’ll attach some resources I used. Good luck!

Attachments

• ASTBmechanical.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 218
  • ASTB_Personal_Study_Guide.pdf
    298.6 KB · Views: 156

Staythurst

I guess its only appropriate that my first post would be an explanation to math problems (I am actually a mathematician of sorts), as I don't think I can provide really any other valuable information yet around here...

Ok, so assuming the division (via a division bar) is the last thing that happens in the order of operations (which isn't technically true as the question is written here, but writing a division bar is not too easy, plus the true answer is 34/3, so we will just assume the presence of a division bar), here is how we proceed:
1) Operations inside parentheses: -2²[(-4-1)(5-1)] ÷ |-6|-[-(-2)] (exponents first)-->-2²[(-5)(4)] ÷ |-6|-[2] (add/sub, reduce to single level parentheses)-->-2²[-20] ÷ 6-2 (final parentheses operation)-->
2) Exponents: -4[-20] ÷ 6-2 (keep in mind that the "-" does not apply the exponent "2" because the "-" acts as a (-1)*2²)
3) Multiplication 80 ÷ 6-2
4) Add/sub 80 ÷ 4
5) Division bar 20 !
Admittedly, a couple of those steps in the first section are doubled up because one set of parentheses does not affect another, and it would get way out of hand for a step-by-step breakdown, but there you have it.

Sorry, this is another question that stumped me.
Assume the probability of having a boy is 50% and a girl is 50%. If a family has four children, what is the probability the family has at least two girls?
Does anyone know a set formula for probability problems like this? I've searched everywhere for an explanation for every step, but was not able to find any solutions giving step by step instructions.

Formula? Not exactly. Probability is tough because you will need to adapt a formula to suit the question. One way to solve any probability problem that has equal chances for each choice is to count the number of ways that you achieve the criteria and divide that by the total number of ways that the situation could unfold. This method assumes that such a count is actually feasible or even possible, however. In this case, it is possible:
There are 16 (2*2*2*2 or 2^4) total possibilities (in chron order of birth, which is relevant): FFFF,FFFM,FFMF,FMFF,MFFF,FFMM,FMFM,FMMF,MFFM,MFMF,MMFF,MMMF,MMFM,MFMM,FMMM,MMMM

Count the ones that work: 11/16

When a problem like this arises, it is often useful to rephrase the question to something opposite, and subtract from 1, the full probability. In this case, "what is the probability the family has at least two girls?" is the exact opposite to asking "what is the probability the family has at most one girl?" It might be easier to recognize that there are 5 possibilities for that situation (meaning 11 for the other, correct one). 1-5/16=11/16

Jeez, I hope I didn't goof anywhere. Call me weird, but I actually like this stuff.
Thurst

4Runner Duck

Hi all, long time wannabe Marine pilot here. Took the ASTB-E yesterday 09112015 and achieved the following scores:

AQR: 6
PFAR: 5
FOFAR: 5
OAR: 58

I made a HUGE mistake which most likely resulted in me not passing the PFAR, so maybe I can help someone not make the same stupid decision. On the first dichotic listening test, you're just listening for them to say "right" or "left" ear, and then you listen for numbers in that ear. Odd numbers you press a button in your left hand, even numbers you pull the trigger in your right hand. That's all you do for the first dichotic listening test. Really not too difficult.

Here's where I went wrong: I thought I would be really clever and slip the headphone off of the ear that I wasn't listening for. So the test started out with my right ear, so I removed the left headphone. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! Because after about 20 seconds, it will switch ears but I didn't hear it because I wasn't wearing the other headphone. So I basically failed this part of the test.

Just do what others have said on the listening section: tilt your head towards the ear you're listening for. You'll hear either left or right, (the ear to listen to), followed by letters and numbers. Tilt and focus on the numbers. It's not hard, I'm just a retard for trying to game the system.

Anyways, embarrassing personal story over. As for the rest of the test:

Math- Lots of probability (averages, dice rolls,), two people painting a house, fairly basic algebra, exponents, basic arithmetic. Spend time on Khan academy and you should be fine. I'm decent at math, but I'm by no means really good and I felt ok. Ran out of time quickly though.

Reading- Main challenge here is reading dry military content, so it's hard to focus. Most answers are ridiculous assumptions that cannot be made from the paragraph, so just be comfortable reading and eliminating wrong answers.

Mechanical: Lots of pulley problems and questions about the properties of fluids. Barron's book was very helpful for me on this section. Didn't see any electrical problems.

Aviation/Nautical info: This section was difficult because it's so much like a weird trivia game. Questions ranged from lights on an airplane to naval terminology to history questions. Hard to really prepare for this one for history questions. "Which fighter was fitted with tankers during Op. Iraqi Freedom"? Yea...

Performance test: Good info on the UAV section on this thread, and you can practice as much as you like on the test. I missed a couple because you want to answer fast, but this section should be easy once you understand how it works.

See above for dichotic listening, it's really not too bad.

After listening, you start using the joystick and throttle.

Track the plane game starts off just tracking vertically with the throttle, so the plane moves straight up or down and you have to push or pull the throttle to keep the cursor on it. Then you track in 2D with just the stick, following a plane inside a box (Y axis is inverted, as others have said, so pushing forward on the stick moves the tracker DOWN).It bounces and moves all around within a box, almost like the old pong game on crack. then you combine the two. So you're tracking one plane moving only up and down on the left side with the throttle, at the same time tracking the "pong" plane moving all around inside the box using the joystick. My only tip here is that the vertical throttle plane tended to move in a consistent pattern, so try to match the throttle close and then shift focus back to the joystick.

Next, you track both planes using joystick and throttle AND listen to a specific ear again. It's a bit overwhelming, but be sure to tilt your ear and focus on the numbers. You can get through this.

The hardest part in my opinion was the last section where you have emergency procedures while tracking both planes. WRITE DOWN THE PROCEDURES when you see them in the instructions. There are three procedures with three steps each. First two steps require adjusting a knob on the throttle. The last step was to press the thumb button. Whenever these emergencies come up, stop tracking and follow the procedure as quickly as possible. I didn't react fast enough, so I only got one emergency out of three correct. I think this section is very important, so I'll give a quick example of the emergency scenario:

Fire Emergency:
1) Reduce Fuel (big knob)
2) Reduce engine speed (small knob)
3) Press clutch (thumb button)

The screen looks the same as the other tracking tests, except there are three gauges at the bottom with an arrow. Each gauge has a green, yellow, and red section with an arrow in the yellow by default. So you're tracking the planes like normal when the screen suddenly turns red and says an emergency. In the case of fire emergency, follow the steps, reduce the 1st knob first so the corresponding gauge arrow moves into the red. Then do the second knob, then quickly press the thumb button. If you get it right, the red screen will disappear and you'll be flying again like normal. Get it wrong, and it will stay red and say something like "aircraft damaged". But again, you have three emergencies. Read the directions carefully and nail this section!

Anyways, the test wasn't that horrendous, just really long. It's a tough pill to swallow thinking that I probably should have passed if I wasn't such a flippin' idiot, but I have 90 days to get over it and kill it the next time. Feel free to ask any questions while I still have it fresh in my mind.

Best of luck to my fellow aspiring aviators, and thank you to those who've passed on some very helpful knowledge on this forum.