• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ricks61885

Ricks61885
Took the ASTB on Tuesday. Got a 6/7/6 49 and I have a 2.80 GPA in Criminal Justice. I'm putting in for SNA and SNFO for the December board. My OR and the guy who administered my test told me I have a stong chance at getting picked up. I was also told that the Navy is in need of Pilots and NFOs. I'm just wondering if anyone on here is in the same boat I'm in score wise or if anyone has heard anything different?

My GPA is 2.85 with ASTB 7/7/7 61 , best of luck

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My GPA is 2.85 with ASTB 7/7/7 61 , best of luck
That's a good score, but with your less than 3.0 GPA, you'll need something to fill the gap. Your enlisted career may help along with strong LORs. How many times have you taken the ASTB? If you've only taken it once, I'd recommend that you take it again for higher scores (8's or 9's)

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
That's a good score, but with your less than 3.0 GPA, you'll need something to fill the gap. Your enlisted career may help along with strong LORs. How many times have you taken the ASTB? If you've only taken it once, I'd recommend that you take it again for higher scores (8's or 9's)

That's a tricky recommendation - 7s are respectable and possibly not worth the risk of scoring lower. Need to hear from NavOffRec on this one, but with the increased quotas we've been pushing to OCS I think he should hold steady and focus on the LORs you mentioned.

ricks61885

Ricks61885
This is my second time taking the ASTB. The first time I scored 5/5/5 55. I applied for the July board with the lower scores and was Pro-N. I increased my ASTB scores and have my degree in hand. I also have a degree in aeronautics which would be a great background for SNA/NFO.
That's a tricky recommendation - 7s are respectable and possibly not worth the risk of scoring lower. Need to hear from NavOffRec on this one, but with the increased quotas we've been pushing to OCS I think he should hold steady and focus on the LORs you mentioned.
My LOR's are from my current O-5 commander, current O-1 supervisor/rater, E-6 instructor, E-5 co-worker, and civilian employer. Hopefully because it is people I currently work with and have seen my performance, it will weigh better than random LORs.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you've only taken it once, I'd recommend that you take it again for higher scores (8's or 9's)
See below..
I have to agree with AOCM,, too risky to retake 7 7 7 61, good numbers!:)
Took the ASTB on Tuesday. Got a 6/7/6 49 and I have a 2.80 GPA in Criminal Justice. I'm putting in for SNA and SNFO for the December board. My OR and the guy who administered my test told me I have a stong chance at getting picked up.
I disagree with your OR on this one. Stuck with a 2.8 GPA, you really need higher ASTB/OARs to compensate, and be truly competitive. Recommend retake.
I was also told that the Navy is in need of Pilots and NFOs.
True, but there is also an excellent supply of qualified applicants!;)
BzB

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I also have a degree in aeronautics which would be a great background for SNA/NFO.

I have seen several people with aviation based degrees and flight experience be passed over for guys with English/History/basketweaving degrees that had great ASTB scores.

Your ASTB scores are good, but we will see if they are good enough to overcome your GPA.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
This is my second time taking the ASTB. The first time I scored 5/5/5 55. I applied for the July board with the lower scores and was Pro-N. I increased my ASTB scores and have my degree in hand. I also have a degree in aeronautics which would be a great background for SNA/NFO.

My LOR's are from my current O-5 commander, current O-1 supervisor/rater, E-6 instructor, E-5 co-worker, and civilian employer. Hopefully because it is people I currently work with and have seen my performance, it will weigh better than random LORs.
The LOR from your CO should be a given as a command endorsement is required. Not sure where you are stationed, but if you have access to some USN flyer types you may want to schedule an interview to lock down a Naval Aviator LOR.

exNavyOffRec

I agree would not risk retaking, from the info my friends gave me numbers are still consistant with previous years, of course the big variable is the number of people that apply, it is funny though how lack of applicant somehow turns into "big need for pilots" this happens everytime the number of people applying drops, what the USN needs isn't changing, it is who they can pick from

exNavyOffRec

Took the ASTB on Tuesday. Got a 6/7/6 49 and I have a 2.80 GPA in Criminal Justice. I'm putting in for SNA and SNFO for the December board. My OR and the guy who administered my test told me I have a stong chance at getting picked up. I was also told that the Navy is in need of Pilots and NFOs. I'm just wondering if anyone on here is in the same boat I'm in score wise or if anyone has heard anything different?

I would have never told a person with your scores strong chance, especially since not many people get picked up with scores of 6's, I would say you have a shot and you need to keep studying for the ASTB so that if you don't get picked up you can retake and then have a reason to reapply within 6 months.

B619

First I'd like to thank those who took their time to respond to my questions and those who made the gouges. It really helped me a lot. I took the ASTB yesterday and my score jumped from an OAR of 46 to a 54 6, 7, 6 (first time taking the aviation section). It's not as great especially with my 2.73 GPA. I can't do anything about it except to apply as I am trying to beat the age clock. I can't apply to the November boards since my ASTB kept getting pushed back. I do have one more attempt after 90 days and I'll retake if I don't get accepted on the next board.

Just a little feedback on what I did this time around: Read my first feedback regarding my first attempt. On top of that I dug up more stuff on this thread. I PM'd those who scored really high to tell me their study habits and what study guides they used as well as those who scored low and improved really well to see what they did to improve. There is some guy who made a gouge of relevant feedback and questions from past test takers and I used that as an outline. I also bought 2 GRE/GMAT books. One of them was pretty useless and the other one was the GRE/GMAT Math Review by Peterson's as recommended by many which helped quite a bit. Mechanical was about the same type of stuff I used and this time around the questions seemed much easier. For the spatial app section, acetheastb.com tells you the best ways to tackle this section. I also googled spatial app flashcards and ran through them a couple of times. A few days before the test, I installed flight simulator apps on my phone and played them for fun when I had time just so I can get used to seeing banks, turns, pitch, etc. The angles aren't as crazy as some say but just train your eyes to see how to view a plane from the cockpit going towards land and the shoreline with a banked angle. I wasn't really used to seeing these since none of the flashcards had any of those type of questions. For the A&N, Atrickpay's guide helped a lot. This gouge is basically a cheat sheet and an outline if you memorize it. On top of that I read the FAA handbook, and googled other A&N flashcards. Supplemental was strictly A&N. I did get lost on a few questions since I can't recall reading up on questions like "Which of the following are characteristics of unstable air?" and "Excess thrust is equal to?" Also saw something like Vx and I didn't know what that meant.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I PM'd those who scored really high to tell me their study habits and what study guides they used as well as those who scored low and improved really well to see what they did to improve.
^^^ I've been recommending this for months. You can read all the "how to" books, read all the gouge posted on AW, that's helpful. But the best gouge of all is to get in touch (PM, e--mail, however), and pick the brains of the 8s, 9s, & 60+ scorers for study habits, areas in which to concentrate your study.
My mantra has consistently been "If you want to be a winner... do what the winners do"!:D

Thanks for taking the time to tell how and what you did, to improve scores on the retake. The 8 pt. boost in AOR is impressive, and may be key in overcoming your marginal GPA. The future Candidates preparing for their tests, will appreciate you sharing your retake experience!:)
Barrons-1.png 8arrons-2.png
BzB:cool:

Last edited:

Kchsload

Took the ASTB for the first time today. 6/7/6 53. The last portion of the test was supposed to be the Aviation Supplemental with 34 questions but mine had 30 questions and looked suspiciously like another naval and aviation knowledge section. No math, no reading comprehension and no mechanical or spatial pictures which makes me wonder if there was an error and I somehow took two rounds of naval and aviation knowledge. Thoughts? Took form 4.

I'm prior a USAFR C-17 loadmaster.
BA PoliSci 3.12 GPA
MS International Relations 3.1 GPA from a foreign university
Applying for SNA/NFO/Intel

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Took the ASTB for the first time today. 6/7/6 53. The last portion of the test was supposed to be the Aviation Supplemental with 34 questions but mine had 30 questions and looked suspiciously like another naval and aviation knowledge section. No math, no reading comprehension and no mechanical or spatial pictures which makes me wonder if there was an error and I somehow took two rounds of naval and aviation knowledge. Thoughts? Took form 4.
I got those same exact scores on Form 3. Supplemental for me was also just another Aviation/Naval knowledge as far as I recall.