• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

mike23!

Ill be taking the ASTB the second week of December and was wandering if anybody had really had a large number of questions in regards to the aviation history dates and events.

mike23!

Took it a few weeks ago... Don't really remember it having that many. Maybe 1?
Cool, ive been taking a lot of time to memorize those but I didnt want to be spending a lot of time on that instead of other sections like the math. How did you do? Was there anything that you would reccomend really paying attention to?

explainyouface

Cool, ive been taking a lot of time to memorize those but I didnt want to be spending a lot of time on that instead of other sections like the math. How did you do? Was there anything that you would reccomend really paying attention to?

Read atrickpay's gouge over and over. I guess I would just focus where you feel least prepared. I spent a lot of time on mechanical and then naval/aeronautical knowledge since those were the most foreign to me. Overall, I felt the test was a bit easier than the practice tests. I was scoring around 85 overall on practice tests; ended up scoring 8/8/9 63 on the actual test.

mike23!

Read atrickpay's gouge over and over. I guess I would just focus where you feel least prepared. I spent a lot of time on mechanical and then naval/aeronautical knowledge since those were the most foreign to me. Overall, I felt the test was a bit easier than the practice tests. I was scoring around 85 overall on practice tests; ended up scoring 8/8/9 63 on the actual test.

Nice, did pretty good, congrats. What program are you trying to apply for?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was scoring around 85 overall on practice tests; ended up scoring 8/8/9 63 on the actual test.
While your AW 'handle' is somewhat er, uh.. funky, your test scores are All Pro! Nice start there... but did you post your GPA anywhere? Your profile is pretty sparse. NavyOffRec & I have posted several times in this thread on the importance putting pertinent info in your Profile; i.e. Univ/major, GPA, sports activities, age, achievements, leadership positions, etc. (no, we don't want your SS/bank acct.#s/pins/usernames/passwords & such)! Your Profile info section helps us to help you!;)

OK... Just curious re: AW Handles (my hobby, decoding them):rolleyes:

BusyBee604 = Radio callsign of my favorite Skyhawk:cool:

explainyouface = WTF???:confused:

theghettodefendant = Gangbanger in trouble?:eek:

Mickgriddle = MickeyD pancake fan?

*"New age AW handles", not a bad thing.. creative!
BzB

Last edited:

explainyouface

Haha... I purposely made my handle vague. Just an added sense of anonymity, I guess. will give my SS number upon request, however.
Really? If you mean SSN, you'd be ill-advised to do that, no one here needs your SSN... protect it!
BzB

Last edited by a moderator:

KingofBattle777

I have some questions on the study guide if anyone would mind answering them.

1. Mechanical advantage for pistons says smaller D/ bigger D however this seems counter intuitive. Wouldn't that make the number a fraction which is not possible? Also the notes say "piston" but I think he means a hydraulic system. Any ideas on this?

2. MA for wheel and axle says Radius of axle to handle/ radius of drum but http://iqa.evergreenps.org/science/phy_science/ma.html says the opposite. Just checking to see if this is a typo.

3. What do we need to know about metrology if anything?

4. I remember a question from the ASTB which gave lat and long coordinates and then had answer choices asking which location was at these specific coordinates. It seemed impossible to answer unless you had memorized the whole earth. How would I go about studying for this?

Thanks

Last edited:

KNSnowy

KingofBattle, I don't know what study guide you're looking at but:

1. Sounds like the writer does mean a hydraulic system to me. And yes, the ratio should be reversed for mechanical advantage, so the energy put into the smaller side of a machine is amplified on the larger side by a direct ratio. A sticking point to remember about hydraulics though is that pressure is constant/the same across liquid - you can't have X pressure at one point but 3X at another point. I saw some gouge about that.

2. The notes I've seen recommend basic stuff. I'd roughly know metric to American conversions like km to miles and litres to gallons. I'd also know 3 ft to a yard, .001 km = 1 m, etc.

3. Great question! I'm googling.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/LongitudeIntro.html This looks like a pretty good breakdown so you can at least ballpark a location.

Haven't watched this yet, but it's nautically focused. :)

Hope this helps!

By the way, I just (kind of) took the OAR last week. Everything I read said that you can't skip around in the computerized test, but on my test you totally could :\ Makes a huge difference to me, so passing that on!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd just like to thank everyone on here for the study guides and help studying for the ASTB

Received a 7/8/9 57 today.

Thanks!
Well if youwannabeapilot, those numbers are a great start. Polish up the rest of your package, you'll be poopin' in sweet clover!:D
BzB

KNSnowy

Giving my OAR score!

I got a 53. Not bad, but I definitely want to retake. I stupidly and stubbornly choked on the math section and thus didn't finish like 1/3 of it :D Awesome.

Difficulty level? To me, a lot easier than a lot of the gouge.

MATH I thought would be complex with tons of word problems and trick questions (because two of the study sources I had were chock full of trick question word problems). What I got was 1 or 2 line basic math questions that were mostly algebra and geometry. So I decided a good use of my time would to be anxiously look for the trick and wonder why I hadn't had to use a cos formula yet :rolleyes:

MECHANICAL was also easier than the gouge in that I only saw 1-2 electronic questions if that...I think if you go in knowing simple machines and the basic ratio formulas for mechanical advantage, you'll do great. I would recommend looking over basic physics concepts like Velocity = I x R, maybe car engine design just in case, and some chemistry knowledge like what liquids and gases do under pressure/temperature/whatever conditions.

READING I can't really comment on. Be prepared to read hefty paragraphs. I didn't look at the gouge for that.

TO STUDY I used most/all of the resources available on the amazing Air Warriors including the Arco and atrick's study guide. I used a recent edition of Barron's and Peterson's from the library.
I went off the grid and used Khan Academy's Algebra, Geometry and Physics videos just because it was more fun than the study guides. I also found "Quick and Dirty Tips to Math" to be helpful for any math rules you need to drill into your head. Here are links:
https://www.khanacademy.org

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/math-dude

THANK YOU Air Warriors for all your great gouge and answers to newbie questions! You're a huge resource :)