• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Alana5280

I just started to think about studying for the OAR. I am thinking about doing some basic studying and taking a stab at it so I know what to expect, then study more and take it a second time. Would anyone suggest otherwise? It is only a 90 day wait in between testing, right?

exNavyOffRec

I just started to think about studying for the OAR. I am thinking about doing some basic studying and taking a stab at it so I know what to expect, then study more and take it a second time. Would anyone suggest otherwise? It is only a 90 day wait in between testing, right?

1st to 2nd is 31 days, 2nd to 3rd is 91 days.

In general those that were tech majors who took it without studying did well, those that were non tech that took it without studying did not do well, either way reviewing a book about the test isn't going to hurt or take much time.

MasterBates

Think of it as less of a quota, and more of diversity mandated as a mission. I'm not 100% sure where it falls into OCS recruiting, but it is a thing that is out there.

exNavyOffRec

Think of it as less of a quota, and more of diversity mandated as a mission. I'm not 100% sure where it falls into OCS recruiting, but it is a thing that is out there.

We would get dinged more for less qualified candidates, but if they need more diverse candidates NRC's fix is to submit more, they would figure more candidates means the numbers selected will go up.

We would get dinged more for less qualified candidates, but if they need more diverse candidates NRC's fix is to submit more, they would figure more candidates means the numbers selected will go up.

Now this sounds way more accurate, the post I commented on sounded way off " if your a minority you will get selected". If that was the case I would've been selected the first time with a 41 4/5/4 but I wasn't. I viewed the minority selection results for the December board which showed the average ASTB scores, gpa, etc everything was about the same for non diverse applicants selected.

afsf1

Now this sounds way more accurate, the post I commented on sounded way off " if your a minority you will get selected". If that was the case I would've been selected the first time with a 41 4/5/4 but I wasn't. I viewed the minority selection results for the December board which showed the average ASTB scores, gpa, etc everything was about the same for non diverse applicants selected.

My recruiter (who has proven to be extremely knowledgeable and honest), has said that in the past he has had minority and female applicants who were selected only for that reason. (i.e. if they were white males they would have 0 chance). Currently it looks like they are accepting anyone who meets the minimum, and it appears 41/4/5/4 was below that. In a more competitive board a minority/female applicant who barely meets the minimum would be much more likely to be selected than a white male who has the same scores.

My recruiter (who has proven to be extremely knowledgeable and honest), has said that in the past he has had minority and female applicants who were selected only for that reason. (i.e. if they were white males they would have 0 chance). Currently it looks like they are accepting anyone who meets the minimum, and it appears 41/4/5/4 was below that. In a more competitive board a minority/female applicant who barely meets the minimum would be much more likely to be selected than a white male who has the same scores.

Well your recruiter was wrong or did not mention everything 41 4/5/4 is not the minimum for what I was applying for at the time which is pilot. The minimum is 35 4/5/4 http://recruitingcommand.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Genoff-Quality-Profile.pdf. I am a minority and was not selected being that I am prior service, 3.4 gpa, PPL, with many strong LOR's, no record with that score mentioned above. Of course a minority/female would be accepted over a white male with the same minimum scores if they are accepting near minimum scores. How many female officers do you see, not many. Now how many female/minority officers do you see, take a picture because your not going to see that often. The Navy wants more diversity and it's showing.

exNavyOffRec

What your recruiter says and what the board has put out are 2 different things, when the board and NRC says we are not selecting enough minority candidates we need you to find more that says something, or when results are delayed because NRC has to go through every application and pull data to see how many minorities were selected gives another indication, of course the best yet is when a Captain from NRC who for 2 years sat nearly every Pilot/NFO/SWO board was at my NRD for an inspection and was asked what can and cannot be considered, PQ status, race, maritial status were all mentioned as not able to consider.

Captain from NRC who for 2 years sat nearly every Pilot/NFO/SWO board was at my NRD for an inspection and was asked what can and cannot be considered, PQ status, race, marital status were all mentioned as not able to consider.[/quote]

Well I was wrong and glad I was wrong about the last part of my post about minority/female and white males. I feel the Navy does more to get minorities to apply not select them because there are minorities. They use commercials and all those YouTube videos that's dedicated to minority's in the Navy as tactics to gain more minorities applicants.

exNavyOffRec

Captain from NRC who for 2 years sat nearly every Pilot/NFO/SWO board was at my NRD for an inspection and was asked what can and cannot be considered, PQ status, race, marital status were all mentioned as not able to consider.

Well I was wrong and glad I was wrong about the last part of my post about minority/female and white males. I feel the Navy does more to get minorities to apply not select them because there are minorities. They use commercials and all those YouTube videos that's dedicated to minority's in the Navy as tactics to gain more minorities applicants.[/quote]

More minority candidates = more to pick from = better chance of finding quality minority to select

NavySquid26

PRO-REC Y Supply June 2013
Just and FYI, for those that are still working on their ASTB scores. I took form 5 yesterday and thought I would share my opinion of it while it was fresh in my mind. I ended up with 5/6/6 50, which I'm not exactly enthusiastic about, however with only a week between thinking I wasn't qualified for NFO to taking the test I guess it could have been worse.

The math section wasn't really more difficult than the Barron's guide, however I wish I would have reviewed more basic algebra, especially related to powers and exponents. There were a few questions that had to do combining equations ie if A=3x+4y and X=7y^2 and A=Y what does Y equal...or something along those lines...so I would suggest some emphasis on basic algebra including factoring.

The reading section...Not much to say here. I was frustrated with it to say the least. I'm an avid reader of foreign affairs, Harvard business review etc so I consider myself a good reader...didn't seem to help much here. They want you to make logical assumptions based on the facts presented. At times I really felt that the best answer wasn't even necessarily a true statement. I suppose I simply need to practice more of these problems.

The mechanical was not extremely hard. It had fluid constriction, inclined planes, blocks suspended by springs, multiple pulley problems, which direction gears will turn, but no classes of levers or gear mechanical advantage questions. One problem had to do with a water tower and how high the water would flow through a pipe based on its height and the water level, others had to do with balancing levers by moving weights to given positions.

The spacial test was as I suspected. Like many people have mentioned, the angles and banks are more detailed than the study guides. It still was not extremely hard. Make sure that you talk yourself logically through them. More than enough time was provided.

The aviation information test wasn't very hard in my opinion. I'm fairly sure that my previous Naval Aviation experience brought up that score. You should know Bernoulli's principle, effects of air flow over flight surfaces, pitch roll yaw and their related effects etc. Various types of aircraft, weapons like the Aim9 and their purpose. Know chord line, wingspan, landing gear type, and general composition of the aircraft such as empennage etc. The question about the SAC's 1950's go to nuke bomber was on there, as well as tower control lights ie a green flashing light means what? etc.

The supplemental was ENTIRELY aviation knowledge, and more specific than the previous section. It included questions about navaids and their function, FAA regulations regarding weight to lift ratios? (I think?) and classes of airplanes based on weight etc etc etc Hard to pin point this info. It seems that they are trying to highlight those test takers with actual flight experience.

These are generalizations about the test...just trying to help. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks to all those who contributed here...

Artur

VT-86
Just two cents from my own experience:

I took the exam in november. My overall impression was as follows:

Math was super easy, and this comes from someone who took only pre-calc in college and some basic calculus. Many questions were exact same just different numbers sometimes as in Peterson's Military flight aptitude study guide and Officer Candidate Test guide. ( Those are the only two books i purchased to study) and i think i actually came across exact some questions as in those books! Unfortunately i spent the most time studying for math section and then in the end it turned out to be the easiest for me.

Reading : I guess its kind of hard to prepare for this but i would suggest just do practice questions and try to get the typical questions they ask. Just keep in mind the details and facts as you go ahead, i sometimes even looked at the question first and then at the paragraph, and then just picked up on the info they are looking for.

Spatial apperception: It was pretty straightforward, just do as many practice Qs as you can

Mechanical: I found my study books to be very helpful, practicing problems from those two was rewarding

Aviation and Nautical: I found these two to be the hardest, especially history portions and some instruments. If i had a chance to go back, i would put in the most time in these two sections.

Good luck to all, hopefully some of this was helpful!

Renegade One

None
More minority candidates = more to pick from = better chance of finding quality minority to select
I totally get the "we need more to pick from" part…and you had me right up until the time you replaced "applicant" with "minority" or somehow more "valued" the latter over the former. The airplane doesn't care…nor does/do the helm, the diving planes, the triggers, the SCUBA tanks…whatever. We're just looking for a few good men and women who both:
1. WANT to do this...
2. Are the best qualified...

I frankly reject any argument that is gender/racially/sexual preference/"listen to my disadvantaged background"-based…if it gets in the way of "best qualified".

"But we need role models..." doesn't even enter into my personal equation for "best qualified". YMMV.