• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

I totally get the "we need more to pick from" part…and you had me right up until the time you replaced "applicant" with "minority" or somehow more "valued" the latter over the former. The airplane doesn't care…nor does/do the helm, the diving planes, the triggers, the SCUBA tanks…whatever. We're just looking for a few good men and women who both:
1. WANT to do this...
2. Are the best qualified...

I frankly reject any argument that is gender/racially/sexual preference/"listen to my disadvantaged background"-based…if it gets in the way of "best qualified".

"But we need role models..." doesn't even enter into my personal equation for "best qualified". YMMV.

I agree, just passing on what NRC's view has been.

T-Rav

I took the ASTB on Monday. I scheduled it about 6 weeks prior, but in most cases I doubt that would be necessary. I have a very full schedule, and it was the first week day I had time to do it on. I am not sure if what I have to say can really add to the great info that people have already contributed to this thread, but FWIW, my impression/experience:

First of all, I took Form 5. It was the computerized version. After reading others' opinions on it, I was a little apprehensive about this mode of examination, but after taking it, I would say that it made life easier in the long run. I did wear a watch because I didn't know what the timer on the computer would be like, or if I would even have one. I was glad to find out that my watch wouldn't be necessary. It also really won't let you do something you don't want to do. Don't be nervous about hitting a button and having it submit a section against your will or anything. Warnings and notices abound, and you won't begin or end a section without being told explicitly by the computer.

To be completely and utterly honest, I didn't study nearly as much as I probably should have, but I ended up doing much better than I thought I would. I hadn't really had much communication with my recruiter, and this was the first time we met face-to-face. He suggested that I do some very light studying, and then come in and take the exam to see where I was.

The Test:

I am a terrible test taker, and usually don't fare well in standardized test situations. I am sure some of y'all can relate. I can do it in class just fine, I can do the homework just fine, I can get all of the answers on the study guide just fine, but when it's time to make the donuts, I have a tendency to just lock up. So for any of you who haven't taken the test, and are extremely nervous about the entire thing, I have one word for you: RELAX. It was way easier than I had anticipated, and from what little I had to do with the books, [Peterson's, ARCO, Marine Gouge] I felt that they do an excellent job cluing you into what the real test will be like. I will even go so far as to say that the math and mechanical comprehension sections of those seemed to have much trickier problems than what I experienced with the real deal. I do have my PPL, and do work in the aviation industry, so the questions asked in the aviation sections were not any real issue for me, though if you don't have any aviation background, I would highly suggest you invest in the materials suggested in other posts. On the other hand, I know a lot less about boats than I thought I did. The reading section is about what most people would expect. Read the paragraphs, choose the right answer. The same can be said for the spatial appreciation. I would definitely practice that as much as you can until you are comfortable with it. I was able to complete every section with some time to spare.

Once I finished they printed off two copies of my results, handed one to me, and had me sit in waiting area while they went and tracked down a recruiter for me. The recruiter I had been corresponding with [and by that I mean I had talked to him on the phone once, and setup my ASTB via text message.] was out for the week, but they had another guy who was willing to talk to me. He asked me how I thought I did, and told me that based on the information and numbers he had, he thought I would be pretty competitive with my scores, and told me that a retest wouldn't be necessary for now. So yeah, I filled out a bunch of paperwork for MEPS and will be going next week. I plan on graduating this December, and it looks like we will be shooting for the board this summer!

Study materials that I would recommend would be what everyone else already has. If you are exceptionally nervous, start with the marine gouge first, as it does a very good job of presenting some of the same information, but in seemingly easier terms.

All of the online stuff I glanced at I found through this website:
http://recruitingcommand.com/texasnavy/2012/08/02/astb-gouge-2/

Obviously the ARCO book. I am pretty sure you can download it from somewhere, but I have the hard copy.

This PDF that the Navy has on their website is very, very useful. Especially the spatial appreciation. Very. Useful.
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/Pages/ASTBOverview.aspx
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/Documents/ASTB_SampleQuestions JUL 2011.pdf

Hope I didn't bore anyone to death.

Also, there is a simulation test I found online that I used as my baseline as far as meeting time requirements. It looks like it is somewhat restrictive about who may use the material when you register. "Open to members of the armed forces and their families." I have no idea how they would enforce this, but my brother is a Marine, so I went ahead and created an account and took the test.

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/DODHubPage.aspx?sponsor=12894&HubPage=15150

Renegade One

None
I agree, just passing on what NRC's view has been.
Thanks for all you've done, NRO…I think I understand the various pressure points all in the recruiting field must experience.

And I don't disagree with NRC's view/direction. Plowing more fertile fields generally results in a greater yield.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
I took the ASTB when applying for USMC OCS 2 years ago. If I am applying for Navy OCS this time around, will I still need to take it? I probably will anyway as if I recall correctly, I scored 5's across the board.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
I took the ASTB when applying for USMC OCS 2 years ago. If I am applying for Navy OCS this time around, will I still need to take it? I probably will anyway as if I recall correctly, I scored 5's across the board.

Your most recent ASTB score is for life. Now if you want to apply to OCS with straight 5's during with sequestration taking place, that decision is up to you. Good Luck!

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Thanks for the reply, maverick. Even with the latest boom in aviation boards, I think retesting will still be my best bet.

TheBird

Hey all,

I am applying for Marine Corps PLC next summer with hopes of getting a flight guarantee. I took the ASTB last week and scored a 4/5/4, so I need some improvement before I can earn a flight contract. Long story short, I was planning on applying this year but some of my medical records did not come in on time so I have to wait to apply for next year.

I am planning on getting a few more ASTB study books to study this summer. I have never taken physics before, would anyone suggest I get a book like "Physics for Dummies" or an equivalent introductory physics study guide? Does anyone have any additional study tools aside from ASTB study books?

tribeaviation

9/9/8 62 on Form 3. My primary study aide was the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests book combined with the gouge provided by my OSO. I found that, for the most part, the questions on the practice tests in that book were more difficult than the ones on the actual test, especially the math questions. I studied for about a month before taking the test, and found the math sections to be the most difficult. Otherwise, my previous flight experience (~200 hours, instrument rated PPL) was a massive aid on the aviation and spatial apperception portions. I found the math skills test to be the most difficult and the only section I didn't finish, as the extent of my math education was high school pre-calc and a college statistics course along with some physics courses.

Equilibrium

I have a few questions pertaining to the Math Skills portion of the ASTB. What is the best way for to prepare for it? I ask because after scouring the forums for several weeks, I've noticed significant differences of opinion regarding the content and how to study for it. Some individuals have said if you’re comfortable with the types questions presented in the study guides (ARCO, Barron’s, etc.) then you’re good to go. Others have said/currently say “live by the gouge, die by the gouge”. (I’ve found all of the gouge on this site very helpful – thanks!)

Anyway, after reviewing some of the more well-known personal study guides (atrickpay’s) floating around on this forum, I realized the types of word problems encountered on the gouge and what’s found in the study guides are considerably different (not all of the questions, but for the most part). For instance, all of the practice ASTB exams in the Barron’s books contain only word problems (most of which are pretty elementary). Many of the word problems in the gouge are a little more difficult, but not terribly so.

After visiting the NOMI website and reviewing the short mini-tests on there, I am even more confused. Those mini tests are much more focused on Algebra. A few of the problems found on there seemed substantially harder than any of the material in the books and gouge. However, thankfully, it seems like everyone agrees that the material tested in the Math Skills on the actual exams is easier than what’s discussed in any of the study aids.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I just reading way too much into it? I’m just trying to figure out what mathematics principles (more specifically which Algebra principles) I should be most familiar with prior to taking the ASTB. (Which I have scheduled for next Thursday – wish me luck). I’ve been studying for several weeks and I feel confident that I will do well on the other sections. It’s only the Math Skills section that has me a bit concerned. The reason being, like anyone else that hasn’t taken the exam yet, I am not exactly sure what to expect due to the variance of difficulty and content in the study material. Any further advice and guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys.

Artur

VT-86
I felt kind of the same way and what i did was just prepared for the worst but hoped for the best. That being said i would suggest put in extra time and focus on tougher questions, you cant really over-study for this thing.

Equilibrium

Thanks, Artur. Two more questions. 1) What would you say the approximate ratio of word to Algebra problems is for the ASTB? At least, what was the ratio for the form you tested on? 2) Regarding Algebra, what principles should I spend the most time studying? Being comfortable with factoring, exponents and evaluation seems pretty obvious. Anything else I should pay particular attention to? Any other math-specific nuances I should be aware of regarding the ASTB? Again, thanks!

Artur

VT-86
Thanks, Artur. Two more questions. 1) What would you say the approximate ratio of word to Algebra problems is for the ASTB? At least, what was the ratio for the form you tested on? 2) Regarding Algebra, what principles should I spend the most time studying? Being comfortable with factoring, exponents and evaluation seems pretty obvious. Anything else I should pay particular attention to? Any other math-specific nuances I should be aware of regarding the ASTB? Again, thanks!

To be honest i dont remember, but i ll just say that I used the same books you mentioned + the gouge from here. I made sure i was comfortable with all problems before i took the test and quite frankly found the math section to be the easiest one. Hope this helps.

T-Rav

The ARCO books and guide NOMI has published are the best to go off of [that I found]. Your best is to be familiar with all of the principles outlined on those documents. If you are struggling with converting word problems to equations, then focus on that. It was my experience that the actual test questions were much more straight forward than anything I saw in the practice problems. Relax, think about what the question is asking, and you will do fine. As the poster said above, I was actually a little surprised when I finished the math section. "That was it!?" I struggled more with the reading than I did the math, and I am an extremely right-brained individual. Math doesn't come easy to me, whereas I can knock out a decent sized novel in just a couple of hours.