• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Irish

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for some clarification about my scores. I scored a 5/5/5 54 a few months ago, and immediately thought I needed to retake. However, my local officer recruiter told me that my scores are competitive enough? So this directly contradicts the information on this website, so who is right? I'm 21/F/ non-prior, 3.0 in Interdisciplinary Studies.
Thanks in advance!

8/7/8/71 on first try

Supplemental section was all aviation stuff.
On both the aviation knowledge and supplemental sections I guessed on 80% of the questions (All I knew for certain was that port=left=red and starboard=right=green and runway numbering).
Math/Mech Comp. were trivially easy; Reading Comprehension could be tricky....there were several sections where it was not as clear as it "should" be. (For example the entire passage is referring to employees of a specific company getting some unique benefit, and the answer was that -Most employees don't get this benefit (referring to ALL employees not just the ones at the specific company....there were a few questions where the logic was inconsistent)).

The Spatial section was much trickier than the Marine gouge, with quite a few questions having two answers with the plane in the same position but slightly different pitch; I think I missed 5-10 of these as a result.

Overall easier than expected. If I were to do it again ( I am going USMC and apparently the minimum is something on the order of 5/6/6 ) I would definitely study much more aviation/nautical knowledge; had I spent more than a couple of hours on it and known the basics (which is all the test covers) I am certain I could have done much better.

Well I need you to purchase me a lottery ticket ;), you guessed on 80% of the aviation knowledge and supplemental sections with a 7 PFAR. What form test did you take?

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for some clarification about my scores. I scored a 5/5/5 54 a few months ago, and immediately thought I needed to retake. However, my local officer recruiter told me that my scores are competitive enough? So this directly contradicts the information on this website, so who is right? I'm 21/F/ non-prior, 3.0 in Interdisciplinary Studies.
Thanks in advance!

Your OAR isn't to bad, a lot depends on what you are applying for. If SNA or NFO you have to retake most people I seen get accepted have minimum scores such as 50 something OAR 6/7/6.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello everyone,
Thanks in advance!
I think I figured it out....

exNavyOffRec

Hello everyone,
Thanks in advance!

If you are going for non aviation then don't worry about it, if aviation then you need to retake I think there has been one person on this board selected with 5's recently and he was prior and must have saved a busload of kittens from going off a cliff or something similar.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are going for non aviation then don't worry about it, if aviation then you need to retake I think there has been one person on this board selected with 5's recently and he was prior and must have saved a busload of kittens from going off a cliff or something similar.
How does that story change if the candidate is Female?

Irish

Thanks for the help everyone, I am interested in aviation so I'll definitely start studying for a retake. Also, I haven't saved any kittens so no luck there haha.

6/7/6 50 third attempt form 3

Study material
Peterson all three free books here http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/Default.aspx?sponsor=12894 there's an 8th edition flight aptitude on here its the most current and a free full length astb test.
Barron book
All the gouges I could find on here

Math- Thought I did pretty good but my score says otherwise. When it comes to this section I advise everyone to skip the questions you cannot answer immediately, you will end up having time to go back and either answer or guess on the ones you skipped. I skipped 8 questions went back and answered about 4 or 5 guessed on the rest not because I ran out of time but because I didn't know the answer. There were two questions that were on this forum, that I otherwise would've probably missed. The one question about the pizza and the other about bricks and if another guy was added around 5 pm. I am decent in math but not under pressure with 50 sec a question.

Reading- Not hard, I just tend to lose focus after reading 27 paragraphs. If you find yourself losing focus skip the really long paragraphs for last and answer the short ones first you will finish with time left if you can read ;).

Mech- The study guides are great just make sure you know about pulleys. There was a question on this forum that was also on the test does with ohms and voltage. This section was more common sense there was a good bit of questions not no where in your study guides.

Spatial- This is probably why I earned a 7 PFAR, I felt I got every single one right. IMPORTANT READ THE DIRECTIONS BEFORE STARTING THIS SECTION. This was my third attempt and first time noticing that this section has steep turns and regular turns something not in any study guide. Look at the example pics of each possible answer before the test and you will do fine.

Aviation/Nautical- I study every possible aviation and nautical question on this forum arco and barron books. I say about 40% or less was actually on the test. 3 or 4 history questions about 5 nautical questions felt I did great on this section as well.

Supplemental- All aviation nautical some of the same questions from the aviation section. This section was a little harder because it asked question you would know from earning a private pilots license which I forgot. Questions that was not on the study guides. I felt I missed about 2 or 3 questions out of that section.

Overall my score isn't near as high as the scores on this forum but not everyone applying for pilot is on this forum. I was most concerned with a 7 PFAR because I seen very few on this forum get selected with a 6 even with a higher OAR score, but remember everyone that gets selected is not on this forum. A lot of applicants and recruiters know nothing about this site. I have seen a guy on here picked up with a 5/5/5 48 July 2012 board. I also agree with others form 3 has to be the easiest form I would know I taken all three. Past scores 4/4/4 38 4/5/4 41 terrible I know. I included some guides the ones I could upload anyways good luck to everyone.

Attachments

• ASTB_gouge.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 109
  • astb_study_guide.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • FAA HIGHLIGHTED.pdf
    982 KB · Views: 68
  • OAR STUDY INFORMATION.pdf
    188.1 KB · Views: 119
  • OAR_Study_Guide.pdf
    162.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Spatialapperception.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 65

Abraham Christian

Just so everyone here is aware, three recruiters have told me now that it isn't even worth submitting a package unless you have 7's or higher. Maybe if you have prior service, but I would do your best to get at least 7's across!

exNavyOffRec

Just so everyone here is aware, three recruiters have told me now that it isn't even worth submitting a package unless you have 7's or higher. Maybe if you have prior service, but I would do your best to get at least 7's across!

This is probably based on 2 things, the first is that in general it is rare for people with a score less than 7 to get selected, the second is if a score is less than 7 the NRD will not get credit upon submission (if MEPS is done), so it is better for them for you to retake. I myself would recommend a person with a 6 to retake anyway.

This is probably based on 2 things, the first is that in general it is rare for people with a score less than 7 to get selected, the second is if a score is less than 7 the NRD will not get credit upon submission (if MEPS is done), so it is better for them for you to retake. I myself would recommend a person with a 6 to retake anyway.

When you mention 7 do you mean 7 pfar or 7s straight across?

A.H.

"Billy the Kid"
So, I was non-selected for STA-21 NFO this October, and have since plugged away at my bachelors and will graduate in a couple months. I scored an 8/7/7/68 on the ASTB and felt it was pretty competitive for STA-21, but I know OCS can be a little more competitive, especially for active duty. So question is: Should I feel comfortable with those scores or try and retest to raise them?

exNavyOffRec

So, I was non-selected for STA-21 NFO this October, and have since plugged away at my bachelors and will graduate in a couple months. I scored an 8/7/7/68 on the ASTB and felt it was pretty competitive for STA-21, but I know OCS can be a little more competitive, especially for active duty. So question is: Should I feel comfortable with those scores or try and retest to raise them?

A 7 is a toss up, but I will tell you that I never told a person with 7's to retake, I would tell them to give it a shot with the 7 and if they were a non select to then retake.