• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Quick question fellow shipmates. Do they actually ask LAT LONG questions on the ASTB form 3 or 5? I don't remember seeing any on form 4 and am studying to take it again.

EX: at 30 deg N 15 deg East where are you in the world?

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I took Form 5 last DEC and dont specifically remember any lat/long questions. However I seem to remember some from either studying or the test. But for which ever it came from the right answer was obviously right and the others were obviously wrong.

A: New York City
B: Libya
C: Australia
D: Japan

cameron172

pilot
Quick question fellow shipmates. Do they actually ask LAT LONG questions on the ASTB form 3 or 5? I don't remember seeing any on form 4 and am studying to take it again.

Not on Form 3. Our SWO NSI loved throwing these curveballs at us during Navigation I tests. I would have noticed and run to thank him if I did see it.

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
Took it less than a week ago for the first time. 7/7/8 57. Pretty happy with those scores. I only used the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Test book, and read a little of the 1965 (or maybe 1970... something around there) Chapmans piloting and seamanship book. No prior flight experience. Theater major. (so it is doable!)

Time was an issue for me on the practice tests but not on the real test in terms of finishing. I wasn't able to go back and recheck all my answers, but the computer version does have some nifty stuff to help you along.

I probably won't retake it unless I don't get selected and need to find ways to beef up my application.

crickSLC

I'm glad I was pointed in the direction of this forum. I just took the ASTB (yesterday), OAR portion and scored a 50 (Form 5). To be honest, I was shooting for 60+ because my priorities are 1)Intel 2) IWO 3) Supply. I know I need higher than 50 to stand a chance.

My downfall is the mechanical portion, having never taken a physics course in H.S. or college. I'm nails on math, and pretty good with the reading comprehension. Does anyone have specific tips for the mechanical? I also used Barrons MFAT as well as Petersons MFAT tests/books. I'm retaking in about 7 weeks - hoping to score higher, to put my package together for May boards. Thanks.

cameron172

pilot
Here's a question in most study books (ASTB, FAA private, etc) that I've memorized the answer but still don't understand...

"What is the relationship between lift, drag, thrust, and weight when an airplane is in straight-and-level flight?"
Answer: "Lift equals weight and thrust equals drag"

Wouldn't thrust be greater than drag if you have forward motion while in straigh-and-level flight? If thrust equalled drag, wouldn't there be no forward motion?

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Here's a question in most study books (ASTB, FAA private, etc) that I've memorized the answer but still don't understand...

"What is the relationship between lift, drag, thrust, and weight when an airplane is in straight-and-level flight?"
Answer: "Lift equals weight and thrust equals drag"

Wouldn't thrust be greater than drag if you have forward motion while in straigh-and-level flight? If thrust equalled drag, wouldn't there be no forward motion?

I would have to say that is a good question. When I first started reading the post I must admit, I thought "what a noob" but come to think of it you make a good point. Thrust would be more than drag or the aircraft would not move forward. I remember seeing a question on the ASTB saying increased thrust is equal to thrust-drag so idk if that helps at all.

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
My stab at answering the question:

If thrust was greater than drag in straight and level flight, then the aircraft would be constantly accelerating. The idea of the question is to introduce what is going on when the aircraft is in equilibrium, ie. when velocity is not changing in any direction. Thus all factors affecting flight would have to be equal.

How does that sound?

cameron172

pilot
My stab at answering the question:

If thrust was greater than drag in straight and level flight, then the aircraft would be constantly accelerating. The idea of the question is to introduce what is going on when the aircraft is in equilibrium, ie. when velocity is not changing in any direction. Thus all factors affecting flight would have to be equal.

How does that sound?

It seems too simple of a question to look up in the PHAK...They refine the statement to "The sum of all upward forces equal the sum of all downward verses." Likewise "The sum of all forward forces equal the sum of all backward forces." (p.4-2). If thrust is more than drag, you accelerate and if drag is more than thrust, you decelerate (not fly backwards).

Got it.