• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Yea, I had form 5 asking the binary code of a number. Pretty sure that one got me.

That is just bad luck I guess. I took form 3 & 4 and didn't see any binary code questions. What a random twist for the ASTB people to throw in.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Here's a question in most study books (ASTB, FAA private, etc) that I've memorized the answer but still don't understand...

"What is the relationship between lift, drag, thrust, and weight when an airplane is in straight-and-level flight?"
Answer: "Lift equals weight and thrust equals drag"

Wouldn't thrust be greater than drag if you have forward motion while in straigh-and-level flight? If thrust equalled drag, wouldn't there be no forward motion?

newton's third law....every action has an opposite and equal reaction right?
well if we use the word FORCE, then we mean mass times acceleration. In straight and level flight there is NO acceleration taking place, so therefore the "forces" are in equilibrium. Remember the units of acceleration are distance per unit time squared and since nothing is changing with respect to time then no change...you are in equilibrium doing one thing and that is it, nothing is making it change. Make sense?

njk1

Hello all,

I'm taking the ASTB soon and have studied all prep material. I'm most concerned for the math section. How similar are the math questions to the prep material? Any thing unfamiliar I should study for?

Also,

I'm looking for a good resource to learn about the properties of liquids, and gasses for the mechanical portion of the ASTB.

I got this paragraph from the description of the ASTB on this website: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/education/astb.asp

"The questions in this portion of the test gauge examinees’ knowledge of principles related to gases and liquids, and their understanding of the ways in which these properties affect pressure, volume, and velocity."

I've searched Google but can't find any good websites that detail this information. They are either too simple or too technical.

Thanks.

Sonog

pilot
Hello all,

I'm taking the ASTB soon and have studied all prep material. I'm most concerned for the math section. How similar are the math questions to the prep material? Any thing unfamiliar I should study for?

Also,

I'm looking for a good resource to learn about the properties of liquids, and gasses for the mechanical portion of the ASTB.

I got this paragraph from the description of the ASTB on this website: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/education/astb.asp

"The questions in this portion of the test gauge examinees’ knowledge of principles related to gases and liquids, and their understanding of the ways in which these properties affect pressure, volume, and velocity."

I've searched Google but can't find any good websites that detail this information. They are either too simple or too technical.

Thanks.

Wikipedia is a good starting point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_mechanics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

When in doubt, use common sense and experience. For example, question: in steady state flow, what happens to the velocity of a fluid/gas when the area is decreased? Think about when you're using a hose and you put you use your thumb to cover half of the opening, what happens? The water sprays out faster. Stuff like that.

njk1

Thanks Sonog,

Has anyone really crushed this test and scored a 70+ OAR? If so, what did you do to prepare differently from those who didn't score as well? I'd assume time is a huge factor, so the ability to move quickly AND get the correct answer is really key to getting a 70+. These are just my thoughts... anyone else?

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Took it today ASTB Form 4 on the computer, got a 7/7/8 58 1st try. Thinking I should take it again to be more competitive.

Not unless you are sure you can ace it. I started out with a 6/7/7 and was told to hold onto that score. As you can see that 6 spells mediocre though so I was pretty dead set on taking it again. A 7/7/8 on the other hand is a solid foot in the door score. I would strongly caution a retake here unless you are scoring almost perfect scores on your practice exams. UP TO YOU MAN! Im sure you will do great either way.

Chris Kasinski

Oh ok, after I posted this I spent a bit more time looking at the NOMI website and how my scores stack up against competition. I really think that I will remain where I am at because my scores put me near in the top 6%. Haha definitely not as good as you maverick24 but I guess as long as it gets me into Flight School, thats where the real competition begins.