• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

fsuhockeystar97

This is my first post so I figured this was probably the best place for it. I'm applying for OCS and will be graduating from college next May. I am prior service enlisted. I was in the Army as an infantryman.

Major: Political Science
ASTB: 7/7/7 60
GPA: 3.5

Applying for SNA/SNFO

I figure this sounds pretty good. My recruiter seemed pretty excited by my test score so I guess will see.

tptwomey

Pro-rec'd SNA Feb 2, 2012
(AQR): 7
(PFAR): 7
(FOFAR): 8
(OAR): 56
Form Number: 4

Graduate of Florida State University
B.S. Management and Information Systems
GPA 3.2
Applying for SNA/SNFO

Thanks for all the help everyone, I was on here a lot while studying.

colecobb

I took form 5 today and im laughing because you just reminded me all the questions that threw me for a loop! However you scored much higher than me... I ended up with a 5/5/5 44. I studied like crazy but i just wasnt prepared for the time limits. I thought the math and mechanical was a little tricky for the time alloted. Fair questions, but to average 30 secs a question was tough. Reading comprehension on the other hand seemed much easier than the stuff in the gouge. Am I insane or did you get the same feeling?

You are not insane at all. I have studied and taken the ASTB a few times and have yet to blow the test completely out the water. I just took Form 4 last week Thursday and the questions you guys were unfamiliar with, I too failed on that portion. The math portion had more word problems than the first two Forms which through me for a huge loop. I scored 48 5/5/4. I just spoke to my LTCDR and he said my scores where not the best (which I already know by far). The only thing I have going for me is that I am well rounded as for my package. I wish you guys the best of luck and really hope you achieve the scores you would like. My recommendation, study your brains out on arithmetic and word problems and general. You must time yourself carefully and adequately because come test time; it will throw you for a huge loop that could hender your scores significantly. I am applying for the Pilot board in August so we will see where that leads me.

Best wishes, Cole Cobb

JEP

Anyone know what the FAA weight rating minimum question about commercial aircraft is? The question asks about weight ratios 3.2 8 something and a few other numbers as answers. I cannot find it anywhere I have googled to my wits end.

Deere1450

pilot
What is considered a High Powered engine? in terms of horsepower

FAR Sec 61.31: "no person may act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower), unless the person has..."

I think you mean 'high performance', not high powered. Nonetheless, more than 200 ponies is the answer.

JEP

I found minimum load weight ratings in the FAR Aim. It gives all kinds of ratios for utility and normal and aerobatic. Anyone knows the question I am referring about. It has something to do with what is the minimum load weight ratio rating for utility or it could say normal aircraft??? I have put 3.2 I think.

Deere1450

pilot
I found minimum load weight ratings in the FAR Aim. It gives all kinds of ratios for utility and normal and aerobatic. Anyone knows the question I am referring about. It has something to do with what is the minimum load weight ratio rating for utility or it could say normal aircraft??? I have put 3.2 I think.

Normal Category: +3.8g, -1.52g
Utility Category: +4.4g, -1.76g
Acrobatic Category: +6.0g, -3.0g

Thats what you will need to know for the test.

Deere1450

pilot
nice awesome. Where did you find that??

Found it a target. Real nice, got it on sale. But if you can't find it there, google knows everything there is to know. Google your brains out, and knowledges will pour out upon thee.

JEP

Found it a target. Real nice, got it on sale. But if you can't find it there, google knows everything there is to know. Google your brains out, and knowledges will pour out upon thee.
Well thanks, but for the pulleys I get more mixed info all of the time. Do you get the mechanical advantage on pulleys from counting the actualy pulleys or the wires? That is confusing anyone who knows would be of great help.

Deere1450

pilot
Well thanks, but for the pulleys I get more mixed info all of the time. Do you get the mechanical advantage on pulleys from counting the actualy pulleys or the wires? That is confusing anyone who knows would be of great help.

Come on dude...the spoon needs a break. Research this stuff on your own. Whether it be on this site, library, or the google. Use the search function here. You aren't the first person to have all of these questions.

But...basically a pulley that is stationary will have a mechanical advantage(MA) of 1, and will obviously change direction once (count the rope segments, there will be 2). A moveable pulley will also have 2 segments, but the MA will be 2. That is the raw basics of MA and pulleys.

You should really pop-a-squat and read about this stuff in your spare time. The more you think about it for yourself, the better you will remember. And if its not too late, learning how to learn will help you make the ASTB your bi-otch.

ddises01

Pro Rec'd SNA January 2012 - 08 July OCS class
OAR on the first try was 53. I took the full test the second time and got 6/6/7 55. I graduated from Tufts University with a BA in Economics with a 3.51 GPA. I know that my scores are not that great especially considering my GPA, but I wanted to see what others thought. I was captain of the lacrosse team as well and we won the DIII National Championship my senior year. I worked for an after school program for 6 months after graduation and I am currently working in real estate. I would like to be a pilot, but I am also interested in Intel and SWO. Any thoughts?

JEP

Haha
Come on dude...the spoon needs a break. Research this stuff on your own. Whether it be on this site, library, or the google. Use the search function here. You aren't the first person to have all of these questions.

But...basically a pulley that is stationary will have a mechanical advantage(MA) of 1, and will obviously change direction once (count the rope segments, there will be 2). A moveable pulley will also have 2 segments, but the MA will be 2. That is the raw basics of MA and pulleys.

You should really pop-a-squat and read about this stuff in your spare time. The more you think about it for yourself, the better you will remember. And if its not too late, learning how to learn will help you make the ASTB your bi-otch.
haha yea just wanted some input i have known it was the wires you count for MA in doing the calculations but my study guide says count the pulleys which never works. I guess I needed to clarify, but wasn't trying to swallow the spoon.