• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

gnarbot

gnarbot,

Think of the ratio as two parts to a larger "whole".

Since we know that the ratio is 3 nickels to 4 dimes add the two "parts together". 3 + 4 = 7

Now, since we know that there are 28 coins total, divide the "whole" ratio. You get 28/7 = 4

Now multiply the dime "part" of the ratio by the multiplier you just solved for to get the number of dimes. 4 x 4 = 16

There should be $1.60 worth of dimes.

To check the math, multiply the nickels "part" by the multiplier as well (4 x 3 = 12). 12:16 is the same as 3:4 so that should be the answer.

Thanks that seems to make sense but why wouldn't my way work?

ecko82

Took form 3 yesterday in NRD Nashville, made a 6/6/5 57. Im a little disappointed, really wanted a 60. I asked about retaking it and the recruiter said he highly advised against it right now. Im applying for Intel and IW.

28/m Political Science with a 3.2 GPA, LOR's from current and former bosses, 2 professors, former E-6 and O-3 SWO. Im a little worried about my package because I didn't have a lot of extraccaricular college activites since I worked a regualar job and went to school at night. Also the recruiter said he really though I would work well in IW but I didn't take calculus in college, how bad does that hurt my chances? Since the boards aren't till November I plan to take another math class this summer and hope to take calculus in the Fall but I won't we done until after the boards meet.

P.S. Thanks to all those on this board for the study guides and helpful information.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Just got done with my ASTB this morning here in Auburn...

9/9/9 67 on Form 5

I mostly used this thread and the links found there:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/152973-My-experience-and-gouge-on-the-ASTB

thanks to WEGL12, War Eagle!

Holy cow I don't know near as much as anyone here but they'd be crazy not to take you. Way to knock em dead

To Gnarbot:
Your way didn't work because you randomly divided by three. You were right about the first part in mulitplying by four but then that was it, you just needed to multiply that by 10 cents.....the ratio of nickels doesn't do anything past telling us how many out of the twenty eight coins in the bag are actually nickels, so you added an extra step.

bullittman68

I appreciate it, and while I am happy with those scores, that wasn't really my goal.

If I could put my mind to it, study for one week, and got almost perfect scores on the ASTB, then I know I can do well in flight school.
My ultimate goal is to become an F-18 (F-35) pilot. Just gotta keep charging ahead with that mindset and physical/mental determination.

DDRosa

Hello everyone. Just want to add to all the success stories and let everyone know I passed the ASTB with 6/7/7. Thanks for the all the gouge!! If anyone is planning to take the test in the future, by all means use all the information in these threads and study!! You should be fine. I actually got a little flustered in the beginning and screwed myself on the time. I had about 7 math problems and I ended up guessing with 10 seconds left. But I snapped out of it and focused on the rest of the test. Just practice!! Now, hopefully I get selected for an aviation contract.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
If I could put my mind to it, study for one week, and got almost perfect scores on the ASTB, then I know I can do well in flight school.
Awesome scores. What's your major in school? And you're also an instrument pilot? Very nice. Just make sure you help out your future fellow studs! Good luck with the app process.

flynavy22

Primary in Corpus Crisco
Got 8/8/8 68 on the ASTB at Norfolk.

As far as studying I just used the ARCO book (got it at the bookstore) and then the marine gouge. Studied for a few days leading up to the exam and that was that.

The whole app is done and turned in to my OR as well. Too bad the boards are delayed until further notice, best time estimate my recruiter had for them reopening was August/September this year. Hopefully they don't get delayed any further beyond that, as I was hoping to find out about selection sometime this summer at the latest (boards were previously scheduled to be this month). The wait is almost worse than all the paperwork!

MGoBrew11

pilot
Hopefully they don't get delayed any further beyond that, as I was hoping to find out about selection sometime this summer at the latest (boards were previously scheduled to be this month). The wait is almost worse than all the paperwork!

Amen to that! Been waiting since February and plans have to change all the time based on the different time frames --- that's what life will be like in the Navy I guess.

Great scores by the way. Some of you guys are really rocking this thing.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Great scores gentlemen/ladies but remember that the ASTB is only PART of your applications! Good Luck in the future!

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Just took the test yesterday. Here's how I did:

Academic Qualification Rating (AQR): 7
Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): 7
Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): 6
Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): 58

The test administrator said they were very good scores so I'm happy. Thanks for everybody's help! If I can give one piece of advice, learn to solve the math questions by ballparking answers in your head. For some of them, there simply isn't enough time to do all of the arithmetic required. That's how I felt, anyway.

Airwolf17

Salutations Everyone.

I've read many of the threads and it seems like there is a fraternal bond that has been formed and that is comforting for me to share.

I have taken the ASTB twice and I did not do well enough to be competitive for aviation. It seems as if I don't take standardized tests well.

I work hard and have always risen to the top except for now. I need some advice on how to take this next one. I have one more chance and I can't see myself doing

any else, but being an aviator. I will be taking test 4 next time...three months. Does anyone have any advice or gouge to help me make this happen?

That_1_Dud3

Salutations Everyone.

I've read many of the threads and it seems like there is a fraternal bond that has been formed and that is comforting for me to share.

I have taken the ASTB twice and I did not do well enough to be competitive for aviation. It seems as if I don't take standardized tests well.

I work hard and have always risen to the top except for now. I need some advice on how to take this next one. I have one more chance and I can't see myself doing

any else, but being an aviator. I will be taking test 4 next time...three months. Does anyone have any advice or gouge to help me make this happen?

There is plenty of sources here and in book form. How much are you really studying? You say you want this bad, but be honest with yourself, are you making the necessary sacrifice and and effort that backs up the dream? Dreams only come to those who sleep you know. I too have this dream so let's wake up and make it reality.

I take my test in 2 weeks! Is it odd that I'm excited?