• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
Really? One of the first things my OR told me when we first met was he would wait until I was ready to take the ASTB.

By the time I contacted a recruiter I had all my stuff prepared.. Application finished, letters of recommendation, info for the background stuff. I figured it was the only way I would get a recruiter to talk to me.

Lucy

Intel versus other

Hey,
It is most likely because Intel is running between a 4% -7% selection rate, and most others, such as SWO, SNA, NFO, run around 25%-30% rate. And while the whole "picture" is important, Intel selects do normally run in the upper 50's or higher in their ASTB scores. Or at least so sayith my OR.

Best of luck!

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
hey guys, got my scores in today. 6/7/6 49 .. I'm worried about that OAR score, what are your thoughts? :(

* going for pilot or IW

WEGL12

VT-28
If I want to take the astb before I graduate May 10, should I schedule it now? Or can I wait until the week I'm ready to take it?

I scheduled my test date about a month ahead of time. I had to take the ASTB before the recruiter would really discuss my options. So I don't think you will have any problems scheduling a week ahead of time.

blarged

ready
hey guys, got my scores in today. 6/7/6 49 .. I'm worried about that OAR score, what are your thoughts? :(

* going for pilot or IW

Send in the application. If you are non-select, take it again. Once you retake it, assuming you get a higher score, you can reapply immediately. Remember you only get to take it 3 times, EVER.

Jokes

So I was a recent non-select for SWO. My OAR score was 60.

I was told this was pretty good, and a couple of people told me not to take it again and instead try to focus on improving on something else in my package.

In short, is a score of 60, in your opinion, positive, negative, or neutral in terms of helping ones package.

Thanks!

jph

60 is a very good OAR score. Granted I have no idea what the rest of your application packet looked like, but I'd be willing to bet your OAR score is not the cause of your non-select. But, since no one really knows how the boards make their decisions ... who knows.

nativeofsandieg

Send in the application. If you are non-select, take it again. Once you retake it, assuming you get a higher score, you can reapply immediately. Remember you only get to take it 3 times, EVER.

My recruiter told me I had to wait 6 months if I wasn't selected?

* going for pilot or IW

My score was almost identical, 6/7/7 53. I am submitting, despite my recruiter's doubts.

jph

My recruiter told me I had to wait 6 months if I wasn't selected?

My recruiter told me the same thing: you have to wait six months if you want to reapply to the same designator. I then asked him, after reading this numerous times on AirWarriors, "Well, if I retake the ASTB and score higher, do I still have to wait the six months, or can I resubmit immediately?" He told me I'd still have to wait six months even if I scored higher on a retake.

Now, like I've said, I've read multiple times on here that scoring higher on the ASTB counts as a "significant improvement" which allows you to immediately resubmit. However, I guess it depends on the recruiter ... unfortunately, whether you technically can or cannot is kind of irrelevant once your/my recruiter says otherwise. It's a little frustrating though because it seems some other recruiters will allow an immediate resubmit after a higher ASTB retake.

Maybe there's something new going on behind the scenes that would explain these conflicting reports. If there is though, I don't know it.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
jokes, like jph said, 60 is a very solid score...obviously it could be higher, but i would not lose any sleep over having that score...imho there is something else in your package which caused your non-select...either that or you just were on a very competitive board, who knows...best of luck

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor

Thanks, yeah I think I will go ahead and submit what I have for now. However, my recruiter thinks I should keep the scores even if non-select but I feel like I can definitely improve on that OAR. I noticed your avatar says OCS bound, what did you get selected for and what scores did you get if you dont mind me asking?

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
I got selected NFO for the Jan 2010 board with a 4/4/5 45 ASTB Score. I am living proof of the "WHOLE PERSON CONCEPT". Other than my ASTB score, I knew I had a killer package and I felt really confident in submitting those ASTB scores with everything else I had to balance it. In conclusion, its not all about the ASTB score, but it helps to have awesome scores and I'm not saying to blow the test off. I believed that my motivational statement was killer, and really showed who I am. If you have any questions about my application please feel free to ask me, and ill be more than happy to talk to you about it. Find ways to make your package different from the others, and stands out to the board.

Hey jdhvb, I would love to know the approach you took for your motivational statement. I too did not score as well so I am depending on the whole person concept. Please email me at: cduenas04 @ hotmail .com

marathonman

I just got my scores back. 6/6/5/56

I'm not sure how the scoring works or if that's good, average, or poor. Any thoughts or suggestions on whether I should retake it?